Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called my SC today.

They are completely clueless about this. Had no idea what I was talking about.

Didn't confirm the existence of the counter, but didn't deny its existence either, stating, "the car counts everything".

On another note, I'm resting even more easy now, after reading Sorka's post where he says he's done some 500 launches without launch mode.

No the P85D is 1300 amps.

If you mean the P85DL which is upgraded to 1500 amps, then I think the conclusion so far is this is not effected. If it were, they would essentially be eliminating your Ludicrous upgrade after some number of launches.

Now I've never actually used launch mode more than twice as it didn't improve my 0-60 numbers but I've done full power 0-60 accelerations 500+ times by now and I'm still pulling 1500 amps.

Last edited:
Called my SC today.

They are completely clueless about this. Had no idea what I was talking about.

On another note, I'm resting even more easy now, after reading Sorka's post where he says he's done some 500 launches without launch mode.

Based on 650 days of ownership and I've driven it at least half of those days and every day that I drive it it gets at least 2 or 3 full power launches from 0 mph. *BUT* only a year of that was with the L upgrade, so I it may not be quite 500 full power L accelerations yet but it should be getting close :D

Based on 650 days of ownership and I've driven it at least half of those days and every day that I drive it it gets at least 2 or 3 full power launches from 0 mph. *BUT* only a year of that was with the L upgrade, so I it may not be quite 500 full power L accelerations yet but it should be getting close :D

I'm still going to rest a little easier.

Well, the claim from earlier in this thread through techs was 625 is hard cut for Launches and rolling mashes counts towards mixture where 3068 for Mixture limit.

500 would be under those.

That said, I personally find it quite plausible P85DL owners would have less reason to worry than P90DL owners. They have been limited from the start... ;)

Well, the claim from earlier in this thread through techs was 625 is hard cut for Launches and rolling mashes counts towards mixture where 3068 for Mixture limit.

That said, I personally find it quite plausible P85DL owners would have less reason to worry than P90DL owners. They have been limited from the start... ;)

Based on 650 days of ownership and I've driven it at least half of those days and every day that I drive it it gets at least 2 or 3 full power launches from 0 mph. *BUT* only a year of that was with the L upgrade, so I it may not be quite 500 full power L accelerations yet but it should be getting close

Based on that, it should take you what?, 50-75 days to tap out if non Ludicrous and Ludicrous launches carry the same weight?

If February 28, 2017 and March 25, 2017 roll around and your car hasn't slowed to a crawl, well then you're good for however many launches you have left from that point to 650 in Ludicrous.

Of course you could go out right now and mash it 150 times from a standstill and save us, and yourself the suspense.:D

Last edited:

That's right, and when the P90DLs came out with L, several of us were paranoid that Tesla was intentionally holding back on power from the P90DL and offered the P85D the L upgrade to lesson the blow of having sold us cars with 228 hp less than what was advertised. The paranoid theory was that they'd eventually up the power on the P90DL without doing the same to the P85DL.

So where did these 625 and 3068 numbers come from? And what is a hard launch? Launch mode or just mash from 0 MPH? If so, then I could be getting close? What would be the consequence? Drop from 1500 to 1400 amps leaving me with half the power upgrade I paid for?

Reactions: davidc18
That's right, and when the P90DLs came out with L, several of us were paranoid that Tesla was intentionally holding back on power from the P90DL and offered the P85D the L upgrade to lesson the blow of having sold us cars with 228 hp less than what was advertised. The paranoid theory was that they'd eventually up the power on the P90DL without doing the same to the P85DL.
LOL, wrong direction.

So where did these 625 and 3068 numbers come from? And what is a hard launch? Launch mode or just mash from 0 MPH? If so, then I could be getting close? What would be the consequence? Drop from 1500 to 1400 amps leaving me with half the power upgrade I paid for?
What was the P85D power before L? It sure seems like the L falls off, from Tech_Guy's 435kW.

It will be interesting to see if any P85DL or P90DL V1 cars ever drop below 1500 amps.

That was one of my earlier thoughts,

My gut feeling was that because there was a counter intended to take a tally of greater than 1500 amp launches, that the target of this whole matter was cars capable of more than 1500 amps.

That would have excluded the P85DL and the early P90DL.

That was one of my earlier thoughts,

My gut feeling was that because there was a counter intended to take a tally of greater than 1500 amp launches, that the target of this whole matter was cars capable of more than 1500 amps.

That would have excluded the P85DL and the early P90DL.

I think that's a pretty good bet. Just paranoid that there might be some other counter number for the P85DL that we never heard about that limits it somewhat.

But given that the P90DL V2+ counters when hit drop it to exactly the P90DL V1 and P85DL power, it seems likely that you're right.

@Tech_Guy you have been dealing with this issue the longest. I would be interested in knowing how Tesla has responded to your quest to get the power back. I know they said no. But have they even tried to understand your point of view? Have they tried to explain which components require replacement to reset your power?

I have already changed my driving style... I used to love to warp by all the Prius' I could find.. which was a lot. Now they are not "PM Worthy" so I let them go. Now I feel them laughing at me, as they whiz by me. ( only kidding )

But you know what I mean... the freedom to just race anyone at anytime is not happening. I REALLY liked doing that.. like a lot.

@Tech_Guy you have been dealing with this issue the longest. I would be interested in knowing how Tesla has responded to your quest to get the power back. I know they said no. But have they even tried to understand your point of view? Have they tried to explain which components require replacement to reset your power?

I've posted up my experience so far, If anything they are giving me the silent treatment as I've been waiting a few weeks now for a reply about my further loss of power and wanting more info... I'm expecting a call tomorrow we will see...

Ok. so is this a problem or not? This thread vacillates back and fort every day.

I think everyone agrees that this is a problem for all P car owners.... who knows what Tesla will try to pull next... I will say this is not what I expected for a P erformance model car!!! Guess I'm getting punished for being an early adopter of an electric performance car?!

Last edited: