Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was quite about P85D fiasco, and probably will stay quite about this one too. Until someone sues them.

Isn't just solving the problem with low-cost upgrades into P100D's a whole lot better than waiting for a class action lawsuit (and concurrent bad press)?

Come on Elon, step up and fix this.

Now please.

Thx.

Here is the deal..

This only impacts P90Ds. There is a lifetime counter on launches. However, to count as a launch a bunch of crieteria must be met:

1. Launch mode must be on
2. SOC must be >90%
3. Perfect traction must be maintained. Any amount of slip will cause power to be reduced and it won't count.

The limit is 25 for the rear drive unit. If this limit is hit, power is reduced slightly resulting is a difference of 0.05s 0-60.

Basically, unless you regularly take your car to the drag strip and can manage to maintain perfect traction while meeting all or the other conditions above, this is a non-issue.

I encourage everyone not to blow this out of proportion.

Here is the deal..

This only impacts P90Ds. There is a lifetime counter on launches. However, to count as a launch a bunch of crieteria must be met:

2. SOC must be >90%
3. Perfect traction must be maintained. Any amount of slip will cause power to be reduced and it won't count.

The limit is 25 for the rear drive unit. If this limit is hit, power is reduced slightly resulting is a difference of 0.05s 0-60.

Basically, unless you regularly take your car to the drag strip and can manage to maintain perfect traction while meeting all or the other conditions above, this is a non-issue.

What is your source for the specific numbers you give above?

Here is the deal..

2. SOC must be >90%

Well, thanks for the info, but I'm not so sure about the count. Our P90D just seems generally slower of late, but to honest, our last "launch" was with SOC under 90%.

Am charging now just to test it again...and I seriously doubt it's only a 5/100ths of a second hit to acceleration.

I'm unsure if this is accurate. @andrewket says the limit if for the rear drive unit... but that doesn't seem to fit with the data. The BMS is what specifies max current, not the drive unit.

The drop is from ~1600A to ~1500A (really like 1609 ro 1515 or something, dont have the numbers in front of me). That's significant. Comes out to roughly 40 HP.

All I can say is it's accurate, and if we still had rep points I'd say "trust me".
Disliking for a lack of source. Either something needs to be dug up in the code itself, or Tesla needs to come out and officially state this.

Assuming its true though, This stinks of trying to game the system. Only 25 launches? Thats nothing over the life of the car. And if its so few 0-60s why even bother? Only thing I can think of is so they can give it to journalists and hit some performance target.

Here is the deal..

2. SOC must be >90%

Interesting. So this would seem to imply that the P100D has an upgraded rear drive unit. And so Tesla's liability would be limited the replacement of the original P90D unit with with an upgraded unit, in the event of failure, or potentially in the event of time-out.

In over 2 years of ownership I can count on one hand, the number of times when I've met the above 3 criteria simultaneously.

Last edited:
I'm unsure if this is accurate. @andrewket says the limit if for the rear drive unit... but that doesn't seem to fit with the data. The BMS is what specifies max current, not the drive unit.

The drop is from ~1600A to ~1500A (really like 1609 ro 1515 or something, dont have the numbers in front of me). That's significant. Comes out to roughly 40 HP.

It seems possible that the BMS says 1600 A max but the DU pulls less. For instance, a single motor 85 in the "base" config will only pull 1000 A while the BMS specifies 1200 A max. 1200 A is pulled by a DU in the "sport" config.

It seems possible that the BMS says 1600 A max but the DU pulls less. For instance, a single motor 85 in the "base" config will only pull 1000 A while the BMS specifies 1200 A max. 1200 A is pulled by a DU in the "sport" config.

The data I've seen shows the advertised pack current dropping, not the max DI current.

Isn't just solving the problem with low-cost upgrades into P100D's a whole lot better than waiting for a class action lawsuit (and concurrent bad press)?

Come on Elon, step up and fix this.

Now please.

Thx.
I'd love that, but I don't think they would do this as a replacement program. Maybe you mention this problem and beg or complain about this, they may do it on individual basis. I know they are doing extra things to keep people happy/quite.

It's funny to see how Tesla doesn't stop disappointing almost every P owner.
P85D - Wrong HP, 0-60 numbers.
P90D V1 - Wrong quarter mile, lower battery range than advertised.
P90D V2 - After facelift announcement, people bought the new model thinking that they are getting the fastest Tesla, P100D is announced 2 months later. and now, it turns out the cars' performance reduced after a number of launches.
P90D V3 - These are the cars delivered around July-August. Most people paid in full. Tesla sold remaining P90D stock in September with up to %23 discounts.
P100D August - AP2 is released 6 weeks after P100D announcement. Leaving hundreds of first P100D owners angry. Same with P90D inventory, remaining P100d AP1 cars sold with huge discounts.

I don't know you guys, but if I ever buy Tesla again, It won't be a P model. One of the reasons I've paid extra for the P was to support Tesla's mission. But now, I don't believe in the company anymore. Their business practices and car's quality issues are not acceptable.

Last edited:
@Ingineer , @wk057
May I have your comments about my previous post?

Thanks Ingineer, great informative posts.
Since we're talking about battery capacities and launch limitations, could you also comment about launch limitation in 60/70/75 cars?
I drove a S75 and noticed that how slow was 0-60. Especially 0-30. 0-30 felt much slower than my old Bmw 630. It was like the car didn't want to move first 1-2 seconds.
Then I've tried 10-60, which really felt fast, even comparing to my P90DL, it was good. It is obvious that Tesla is limiting the power of S75 if you are doing "launch" from 0. Rolling start from 10mph is definitely much faster.

Have you got any data on that? Since lots of people have 60/75s, that maybe more interesting than P90D limitation for some people.

(Btw, in my opinion one reason that P90D is much more expensive than 90D is to cover the extra risk of drive train failure. If they are limiting launches, this is bad.)