Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
your disdain for Tesla work for you.

You guys can't be reading his tweets.

I don't have disdain for Tesla. I do have disdain for the cognitive dissonance that surrounds the brand. How many times on TMC have you read about QA issues, missed promises, poor communication and customer service that are answered with "but it's a terrific car" and "they'll fix it".

I have EM on my feed. That's part of the basis for my opinion.

I don't have disdain for Tesla. I do have disdain for the cognitive dissonance that surrounds the brand. How many times on TMC have you read about QA issues, missed promises, poor communication and customer service that are answered with "but it's a terrific car" and "they'll fix it".

I have EM on my feed. That's part of the basis for my opinion.
I believe you are hearing all of the complaints and shared disdain for what ever you are disdained about because people in this forum rarely go through great lengths to show their Tesla Success.

Tesla has now added the same manual disclaimer about limiting performance to the ORDER page for performance cars on the design studio, which is worrying because the only performance car you can configure is the P100D... which we're expecting is excluded from this limitation...
Capturing it for future reference.

Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla
Performance
Performance acceleration ratings are based on maximum battery power mode and follow Motor Trend’s test procedure of subtracting the first foot rollout time to represent drag strip performance.

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

This really is becoming absurd. Like "turn it off because it's jumped the shark" absurd.

You have a different definition of transparency than I do. The more you are informed about a company, the more transparent they become.

This very article and the response from ELON isn't promoting or building hype is it? When Elon says (via twitter)...."hey" everyone bring your cars in to a SC near you to have "xyz" fixed. How is that hype? How is that promotion?
You guys are taking transparency and re-defining it as hype and promotion to make your disdain for Tesla work for you.

You guys can't be reading his tweets.
Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon Musk on Twitter

@Garlan Garner, you are a heavy troller here :) Can you troll Elon for these simple numbers, requesting him to show his "transparency" that you are claiming for the last 100 posts or so? Thanks.
1. Current M3 reservation number : Good or bad, just give it to people. (Yes, journalists and analysts have trolled him, but he ain't giving it.)
2. Breakdown of sales by models (how many P100Ds, P90Ds, etc.)
3. Inventory composition : Finished cars vs. other goods.
4. Number of all inventory cars.
5. Delivery numbers by month.

Tesla has now added the same manual disclaimer about limiting performance to the ORDER page for performance cars on the design studio, which is worrying because the only performance car you can configure is the P100D... which we're expecting is excluded from this limitation...

It is not the same disclaimer - original one is for launch mode, while this one is for continuous high-performance driving.

I am a bit confused about something. From reading other threads on TMC reporting results from the track (as well as a few posts on this thread from P90D owners) my understanding has been that launch mode does not improve performance for P90DLs -- in other words launch mode is basically pointless on a P90DL. As a result, I haven't bothered using it.

Is this not the case?

Limiting for some period of time after x launches in a row: makes sense.
Limiting for life after x launches ever: confusing as hell.

Agree 100%

However this doesn't answer the mess that Tesla have got themselves into again.
Bottom line is that that have released cars that have not been thoroughly tested enough and are now seeing evidence of damage caused by repeated hard use.
This appears to be permanent damage not short term overheating.
They have no choice other than to dial back the perofrmance else they will get hit with very expensive repair bills and are now in the inelegant fumbling around trying to manage information process to make it appear that it was always like this.

It is just so exasperating to see Tesla in a complete league of their own, with no competition worth talking about, creating these entirely unnecessary situations.

Honestly if Tesla were European or Asian imports to the US there would be so many class action lawsuits by now that they would have been chased out of the country with a bill big enough to take them out of business. None of us want this of course but the signals are all there, and whilst the work Tesla is doing is amazing and inspirational, they simply have to get a grip of these over ambitious claims.

This may be a small "class" but I believe "action" is going to be required to fix this.

Exactly. Get up and do something. Folks..don't get mad at me about it.

And this is where Tesla is acting in a stupid manner.

"Countergate" NEED NOT RESULT in a class action lawsuit, but Tesla's continued stonewalling/intentional confusion on this issue is completely unacceptable. Their communication is disingenuous and misleading because while other brands limit performance, these are temporary limits imposed only when conditions require--what Tesla is doing is a PERMANENT DEGRADATION OF PERFORMANCE BASED ON AN UNDISCLOSED COUNTER.

Personally, I purchased a P90DL (our family's 5th or 6th Model S, BTW) based upon the absolute gushing from the variety of sources that reviewed the car. Not one of those reviews mentioned they had a "ringer" car since not one of them mentioned the counter . . . .

I hope Garland Garner is not P85DEE in disguise.:)
Due to the lack of P85DEE-entertainment in this thread its either that or a very close cousin;)

The "sue them" or "do something about it"-arguments are strangely similar....

How he managed to offrail the thread into a completely off-topic Elon Musk-twitter quiz/transparency discussion is also quite similar...

To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Ok, Tesla is maturing.
They've now entered the vague double speak phase were a general language statement that can be interpreted as anything from high speed thermal power roll back to too much use so now your P is an S is their solution.

Tesla is reading these threads.
The attorneys see the liability of unilaterally removing performance.
The response is a universal CYA clause.
Tesla's strongest asset was its customers. They are working incredibly hard to shrink their sales force.

Demand must indeed be outstripping production.

To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Ok, Tesla is maturing.
They've now entered the vague double speak phase were a general language statement that can be interpreted as anything from high speed thermal power roll back to too much use so now your P is an S is their solution.

Tesla is reading these threads.
The attorneys see the liability of unilaterally removing performance.
The response is a universal CYA clause.
Tesla's strongest asset was its customers. They are working incredibly hard to shrink their sales force.

Demand must indeed be outstripping production.
I hadn't heard they are shrinking their sales staff. Is that generally known or just inside info?

Mine is going in for service on the suspension for the 3rd time on the 28th. They are aware, because I showed them, that the lemon law paperwork is already filled out. I will present them in writing, my request for clarification on the Launch Limit and how it relates to my vehicle. I will post their response (if any) and what happens with the suspension work. I will be very disappointed if they have to buy the car back as this is the car that I wanted. A P90DL (that meets advertised performance specs) with AP 1.0 and FW 7.1. I don't think there are any similar alternatives out there but if they can not or will not make the car meet specs they will be buying it back. Have a merry christmas everyone.