Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I understand it from the response I received from my tesla SA is.
Tesla will warranty any drive train failures due to hard acceleration. However with the counters reduction in power they are hoping to stop the damage before they are saddled with a warranty issue.
I should make it clear that the tesla SA only spoke of covering warranty issues due to hard acceleration.

He did NOT say anything about the counters being used to avoid warranty issues. That was all me.

Basically on the newest firmware in a p100dl if you press and hold Ludicrous button you get the star field after 5 seconds like always but then you get that disclaimer that unlocks ludicrous + and 2.4 to 60 but also warns of damage...

Here's drag times video

My problem was not diagnosed as a generic power problem.. as a few people have tried to say this must be another issue,

The reply from Tesla was the launch mode counter had been triggered thus lowering my cars power which is the reply I posted from Tesla earlier in the thread...

basically uncovering this whole mess

and though I haven't gotten any further reply from Tesla yet recent data suggest the P100D also IS effected by this unlike my original reply suggests.
Did you leave the car at a Tesla service center? Or is this all based on a bunch of email and phone exchanges?

Actually I keept very quiet on this until December 19th in this thread, previously I had only disclosed this info privately to others. I first contacted Tesla about this issue at the end of September and to date still have no resolution... Tesla had plenty of time to do right by me privately if they wanted to... now I've owned my car longer with the power reduction then without...

Whats wrong about all of this is how long its taken Tesla to notify owners about this... Since they haven't notified anyone about these counters and or restrictions without some kind of enquiry, which would require prior knowledge about the issue to find out... The only prior knowledge came from my case, so luckily for the owners that read these forums they will have some idea of whats going on and what to expect....

Have you retained legal counsel at this point? Or are you comfortable saying?

This matter is well beyond waiting on a phone call.

If this is my situation, I no longer try and resolve this myself.

This matter is beyond the capabilities of the average customer to resolve. And dare I say, I doubt that you get much further without legal representation. They may or may not call you back. And even if they do, any further correspondence that you have with them, should come in writing.

It is time to allow legal representation step in. Indeed past time for that IMO.

It is doubtful that they will have any less success at resolving this matter than you have thus far had, and with the way things are going, a safer bet that they will have more success at resolving it given half the time which has passed between late September and today.

A lot of people in here mean well. People have come in here talking about Lemon laws, air filters, the Better Business Bureau, spreading the word over the internet and such.

They may mean well, and think it's good advice. But seriously, that which follows, is the best advice that you are going to get, as you've been dealing with this since late September you say, and here it is almost the middle of January.

If you haven't already, then it's time to retain legal counsel to resolve this matter. This is a matter for a legal professional to handle.

And in doing that, they may or may not recommend that you stop discussing it over the internet.

Last edited:
Basically on the newest firmware in a p100dl if you press and hold Ludicrous button you get the star field after 5 seconds like always but then you get that disclaimer that unlocks ludicrous + and 2.4 to 60 but also warns of damage...

Here's drag times video

Interesting. So it doesn't increase maximum horsepower. In fact, that one test was 3KW less than one of the early Powertools or CANBUS readings of 576 KW when the P100D first started coming out. If faster from 0-60, they must be more aggressive with the ramp up which will surely put a lot more stress due to increased torque.

Interesting. So it doesn't increase maximum horsepower. In fact, that one test was 3KW less than one of the early Powertools or CANBUS readings of 576 KW when the P100D first started coming out. If faster from 0-60, they must be more aggressive with the ramp up which will surely put a lot more stress due to increased torque.

Interesting. I say that because for some reason @fiksegts (Brooks--the person who made the video) said of that run, in the video, that it increased the max amps by "twenty-something." That sounds like his best before that must have been in the 550 range.

Can you post the Service Invoice related to the concern regarding the reduced power? I would really like to see what findings and remedies (or lack thereof) Tesla wrote into that Service Invoice.

Thanks

Agreed

no more info yet they have lead me on since before the new year that id receive a call but haven't yet the last call date was yesterday will no call.

if you look at the thread on the Tesla Forum there is another reported Tesla, a model x that was purchased used with around 5000 miles its a P90DL that doesn't make ludicrous power though it was listed on his purchase sheet...

Heres his quote...

Reactions: Matias and bhzmark
Interesting. I say that because for some reason @fiksegts (Brooks--the person who made the video) said of that run, in the video, that it increased the max amps by "twenty-something." That sounds like his best before that must have been in the 550 range.

A quick search shows multiple posts from different P100Ds in the mid 550s. I can only find one reference to the higher number so I suspect that's probably an outlier after all.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
When I first got the car I got 559, lately it had been around 555, now it's 574-578....

Perhaps this would be the more appropriate ultimatum...:) View media item 116482

That link brings me here:

Screenshot 2017-01-11 22.37.07.png

Can you post the Service Invoice related to the concern regarding the reduced power? I would really like to see what findings and remedies (or lack thereof) Tesla wrote into that Service Invoice.

Thanks

I've seen you ask this a few times, I want to point out there is no service invoice... I contacted Tesla about this issue initially I was pushing that it seemed to be an issue with 8.0 update. My service manager initially thought I would need to come in but later after he talked to the engineers in Fremont he came back to me with more information from the engineers... I was informed that they were able to diagnose the issue and that my performance loss was related to launchmode usage. All the data could be seen remotely etc as the car basically consistently logs its data back to Tesla... He also told me that the 100 upgrade would remove these restrictions, I asked for that in writing which is what I've posted in the thread.... but given the current disclaimer on ludicrous plus I'd say that's un true or has changed since his reply.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and davidc18
Agreed

no more info yet they have lead me on since before the new year that id receive a call but haven't yet the last call date was yesterday will no call.

if you look at the thread on the Tesla Forum there is another reported Tesla, a model x that was purchased used with around 5000 miles its a P90DL that doesn't make ludicrous power though it was listed on his purchase sheet...

Heres his quote...
Time to reach out to that name I gave you. If I were you I'd stop posting in here for now. Suing is only a last resort as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for the reply. I'd respectfully suggest that you drop the car off at a Service Center and cite power loss as the issue and see what they officially write into the Service Invoice when they return your car. I assume it would be easily for them to replicate the issue. Maybe they good will you a battery. Maybe they put what they verbally told you in writing and close it out as unremedied. Either way it would be interesting to see it in writing.

Thanks and good luck

I've seen you ask this a few times, I want to point out there is no service invoice... I contacted Tesla about this issue initially I was pushing that it seemed to be an issue with 8.0 update. My service manager initially thought I would need to come in but later after he talked to the engineers in Fremont he came back to me with more information from the engineers... I was informed that they were able to diagnose the issue and that my performance loss was related to launchmode usage. All the data could be seen remotely etc as the car basically consistently logs its data back to Tesla... He also told me that the 100 upgrade would remove these restrictions, I asked for that in writing which is what I've posted in the thread.... but given the current disclaimer on ludicrous plus I'd say that's un true or has changed since his reply.