Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught.

Maybe I am misunderstanind gwhat you are saying but JonMc said: "Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance."

Or are you saying that there are counters that aren't related to "max power usage"? If so what are those counters?

Stop by your service center (or not) and ask them if there are any other use related limits on the car. You may want to ask them specifically about speed. If they say there are, ask them to share those with you. If they say there are none then you can choose to believe them or not.

I am comfortable with my understanding but in no way suggest you accept my opinion or comments on the subject. Please form your own opinion.

Wow. Refusing to give the basis of your opinion? And instead just asserting it? Has Trumpian gaslighting infected our culture so quickly?

My opinion is based on facts and evidence. I'm asking for the factual basis of your opinion re additional limits, assuming, I hope correctly, that it is similarly based on facts and evidence, and not, e.g., based on something that came to you in a dream.

Tesla gave the car to that Test and Elon tweeted the results, so that article is not just some random third party story, but planned part of Tesla's marketing.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I've heard this argument before and it doesn't hold water.

It doesn't matter what one thinks. It only matters what one can prove.

Good luck trying to prove that and make that stick in terms of culpability on Tesla's part.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Tesla will say; "we gave them the car, they tested it and reported their results.

We simply tweeted what they said they found."

Last edited:
Reactions: hostman
I am afraid I have joined brian on this one...
Tesla is what it is. They have knowingly advertised and promoted false numbers and false magazine results. They have refused to apply their treat everyone the same approach when forced by our European friends to (partially/fully?) address the HP claims issue. They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught.

I believe Tesla has set its course and told us exactly who they are and how they want to do business. We may not like it. We are free to voice our concerns but it does not appear to me that they are going to alter this path.
Don't you give credit to Jon McNeill for doing the right thing? It's not all bad.

if you ordered it already you will get it, but no more orders being taken for the upgrade...
Well they never contacted me about being able to place an order ... have this reply from them but nothing more guess I'll reach out again and see what's going on...

Thank you for your interest in the P100D upgrade. We have added your name to our interest list and we will contact you once we have more information available. We appreciate your patience.

They have knowingly advertised and promoted false numbers and false magazine results...

I believe Tesla has set its course and told us exactly who they are and how they want to do business. We may not like it. We are free to voice our concerns but it does not appear to me that they are going to alter this path.

Well, if you feel that way, then clearly the next move is yours.

Based upon how things went with many of us springing for the Ludicrous upgrade in the P85D after the big horsepower brouhaha in here, it will be interesting to see what that next move is.

Reactions: hostman
I've heard this argument before and it doesn't hold water.

It doesn't matter what one thinks. It only matters what one can prove.

Good luck trying to prove that and make that stick in terms of culpability on Tesla's part.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Tesla will say; "we gave them the car, they tested it and reported their results.

We simply tweeted what they said they found."
Right, I find it unlikely Tesla prodded Motor Trend and told them to get a 10.9 number. After all, C&D got a 11.1.

If Motor Trend had some inaccuracies, it would be up to Motor Trend to make corrections and I don't see how by tweeting the article, Tesla will somehow be held responsible. They are responsible for the 10.9 number on their own site though.

Wow. Refusing to give the basis of your opinion? And instead just asserting it? Has Trumpian gaslighting infected our culture so quickly?

My opinion is based on facts and evidence. I'm asking for the factual basis of your opinion re additional limits, assuming, I hope correctly, that it is similarly based on facts and evidence, and not, e.g., based on something that came to you in a dream.

Ah, where to start.....
For everyone other than bhzmark, I simply suggested that, if you are interested in such things, you may want to ask your Service Center.

As for you bhzmark, your post says more about you than me.

Reactions: davidc18
Got this reply from Tesla regarding the p100dl upgrade...

As it currently stands, the P100DL retrofit is yet to be released. We are diligently working on it, but no release date is currently available. You remain on the interest list, hence you will be contacted as soon as details become available.

The new 1/4 mile record of 10.726 by Noah in a P100D+ is really making me envious. Hoping that Tesla is still working on the P90DL upgrade to P100D will include my P85DL someday as I just can't see spending another $75,000 for a P100D.

Agreed. As a P90DL owner, I wasn't looking to do a 100kWh pack upgrade for some time. If true, it is unfortunate to hear that the upgrade is a temporary offer.

The problem with this approach is so far the "v1","v2", "v3" have been a construct of TMC, and not an official Tesla demarcation of the cars.

Tesla would, by offering differing discounts, in effect be acknowledging publicly they missed advertised specifications by various degrees.

And therein lies a major part of the problem--it appears quite likely that the "test" cars loaned for reviews in the popular press were V3 (or better?) cars while Tesla was selling V1 and/or V2 cars to the public at large?

You can't do that, especially given the impossibility of test driving the cars in many cases.

And we don't even have an "oops" from Tesla yet.

Looks like this will be "stepping up" if it's not resolved.

Does anyone have the specific battery part numbers handy that demarcate the versions?

Thanks!

p.s. This is all I've found on cursory search:

Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?

Tesla is what it is. They have knowingly advertised and promoted false numbers and false magazine results. They have refused to apply their treat everyone the same approach when forced by our European friends to (partially/fully?) address the HP claims issue. They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught.

While on the surface your points are quite valid and well stated, please be aware that we all remain hopeful in that the POST-Countergate era Tesla has become a better company now.

If it is not, well, there are avenues to change it; please check your PM.

We look forward to your reply.

All that... and Elon is part of the new Administration! ;)

I agree, Tesla is no longer quite as innocent as it may have been viewed as at one point. The seem also fairly litigatious and willing to treat customers quite harshly for PR gain (e.g. crash log publishing).

They are just a company amonst others now. No worries, people can choose to buy or not, as usual.