Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While on the surface your points are quite valid and well stated, please be aware that we all remain hopeful in that the POST-Countergate era Tesla has become a better company now.

If it is not, well, there are avenues to change it; please check your PM.

We look forward to your reply.

I took a chance on that post horespower-gate. Nothing seems changed yet. BTW if you google P85D horsepower right now, google still tells you 691 HP as a curated result. LOL.

Reactions: hostman
@wk057 confirms, that there are some BMS changes but its unclear what has changed... Updating now will report back with power readings if they have changed or not I will know soon...
No change to performance but a change to the state of charge... car was charged to 90% before the update now it says its charged to 93%. Charger was unplugged during the update so it didn't just charge while updateing... maybe a change to the reserved brick amounts for the pack caused the 3% increase??

I'm aware of one person who has completed an upgrade from a P90D to P100D. This person's P90D was in transit but not yet delivered when the 100 was announced.
Point of clarification...

When people say "upgrade from a P90D to P100D" I thought they were talking about an upgrade of the car. It sounds like here you're talking but the upgrade of an order. Very different things. We need to find a way to get crisp with our language here on TMC so we're at least arguing about the same thing. ;)

I forgot to mention in the video he was at 85% SOC, we'll do better next time... :)

my car just got an update notification..... updating now...

The new 1/4 mile record of 10.726 by Noah in a P100D+ is really making me envious. Hoping that Tesla is still working on the P90DL upgrade to P100D will include my P85DL someday as I just can't see spending another $75,000 for a P100D.

No change to performance but a change to the state of charge... car was charged to 90% before the update now it says its charged to 93%. Charger was unplugged during the update so it didn't just charge while updateing... maybe a change to the reserved brick amounts for the pack caused the 3% increase??
I've seen that before. It usually just needs to be recalibrated. The BMS takes care of it.

And therein lies a major part of the problem--it appears quite likely that the "test" cars loaned for reviews in the popular press were V3 (or better?) cars while Tesla was selling V1 and/or V2 cars to the public at large?

You can't do that, especially given the impossibility of test driving the cars in many cases.

And we don't even have an "oops" from Tesla yet.

Looks like this will be "stepping up" if it's not resolved.

Does anyone have the specific battery part numbers handy that demarcate the versions?

Thanks!

p.s. This is all I've found on cursory search:

Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?

And that came pimarily from in here.

The real simple comeback for Tesla to where it appears that your argument is leading, is this:

1. The V1 car will actually do 10.9, and that's what we shipped to MT. That out of a small handful of owners on TMC who tried, none reported having reached that, is irrelevant. We cannot comment on the conditions under which these owners were running the cars, states of charge, calibration of timing equipment, etc.

2. We made improvements to the battery pack, and we are allowed to make improvements over production periods, and unannounced if we decide to. These improvements resulted in a more powerful battery.

However the first iteration of the vehicle was capable of hitting 10.9, and that is what we sent to MT for testing.

You are probably not going to gain any "traction", no pun intended, with this matter. An owner not being able to reach a manufacturer's performance spec in 0-60 and quarter mile, is something which has happened in the past.

Reactions: hostman
Point of clarification...

When people say "upgrade from a P90D to P100D" I thought they were talking about an upgrade of the car. It sounds like here you're talking but the upgrade of an order. Very different things. We need to find a way to get crisp with our language here on TMC so we're at least arguing about the same thing. ;)

Negative. The car was upgraded. After delivery the 90 pack was removed and a 100 pack installed. I meant what I said :)

• Informative
Reactions: hostman and Matias
Ah, where to start.....

Just start, and finish, by explaining why you think there are other counter limits.

Or perhaps, what I hope is true, that you didn't mean to suggest that there are in fact other counter limits and I (and apprently others) just misinterpreted what you were intending to say.

And if so, then what did you mean when you wrote "They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught."

"only one"?

Last edited:
Just start, and finish, by explaining why you think there are other counter limits.

Or perhaps, what I hope is true, that you didn't mean to suggest that there are in fact other counter limits and I (and apprently others) just misinterpreted what you were intending to say.

And if so, then what did you mean when you wrote "They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught."

"only one"?

I read him differently than you. I read it like this:

1) [Tesla] continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped.

2) [They] backed down on only one [of those removed capabilities]... when they were caught.

3) [That one they backed down on was] sets of "counter limits".

So the others you are asking about did not seem to be other counters to me, but other capabilities Tesla have removed from cars they have already shipped, according to lolachampcar.

Accurate @lolachampcar?

Reactions: davidc18
I don't know where you're getting a change order. Person ordered a P90D. While it was in transit, the 100 was announced. Rather than cancel and re-order, person took delivery of the P90D, and then several months later, Tesla exchanged the 90 pack for a 100.
I just asked Tesla about this yesterday and they said that they don't upgrade hardware. I'm really confused.

Of course....$20K or $10K might do it.

I just asked Tesla about this yesterday and they said that they don't upgrade hardware. I'm really confused.

Of course....$20K or $10K might do it.

Hardware upgrade from P90DL to P100D was specifically offered by Tesla in September 2016. $10k for cars not yet delivered and $20k for cars delivered.

Whether or not they are now stopping that offer is another question.