Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just start, and finish, by explaining why you think there are other counter limits.

Or perhaps, what I hope is true, that you didn't mean to suggest that there are in fact other counter limits and I (and apprently others) just misinterpreted what you were intending to say.

And if so, then what did you mean when you wrote "They continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped and backed down on only one of those sets of "counter limits" when they were caught."

"only one"?

bhzmark,
If you are sooooo interested, simply go ask your Service Center directly so you can get real, live, indisputable, super duty, huge, great

Factual Information.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I read him differently than you. I read it like this:

1) [Tesla] continue to knowingly remove capability from cars they have already shipped.

2) [They] backed down on only one [of those removed capabilities]... when they were caught.

3) [That one they backed down on was] sets of "counter limits".

So the others you are asking about did not seem to be other counters to me, but other capabilities Tesla have removed from cars they have already shipped, according to lolachampcar.

Accurate @lolachampcar?

I was suggesting that, if you are interested in Tesla software limiting the car as a result of use, you may want to stop by your Service Center and ask them a very direct yes or no question about the existence of any other use related software limits on car functionality. I made a suggestion that Tesla be asked, nothing more. If you are not interested in such things or if it is not a high priority for you, simply pass on the suggestion.

bhzmark is doing her/his normal picking a fight about facts and absolutes. I'm just not taking the bait.

I was suggesting that, if you are interested in Tesla software limiting the car as a result of use, you may want to stop by your Service Center and ask them a very direct yes or no question about the existence of any other use related software limits on car functionality. I made a suggestion that Tesla be asked, nothing more. If you are not interested in such things or if it is not a high priority for you, simply pass on the suggestion.

bhzmark is doing her/his normal picking a fight about facts and absolutes. I'm just not taking the bait.

OK, I guess I interpret that as you didn't mean to suggest that there are other counter limits.

I don't know why you couldn't just say that.

I think we should forget counters for the moment--the bigger issue is that some of us with P90DL's aren't getting the level of performance we expected, yet I'm making monthly payments on a jaw-droppingly expensive P90DL that I purchased based on these articles:

2015 Tesla Model S P90D - Instrumented Test

2015 Tesla Model S P90D w/Ludicrous Upgrade First Test

No correction or retractions of these articles were ever requested by Tesla, so everyone should have been right to assume that the cars that "Joe Q. Public" purchased would be just as powerful . . . but that appears to not be the case, at least for some of us.

P85D buyers are in a similar situation so the class is large enough to gather attorney interest. This is getting bigger, and what occurred in Norway is likely to happen here, but with much more publicity, none of it good.

**Jon McNeill, time to come to our rescue again, please.**

Thanks!

I think we should forget counters for the moment--the bigger issue is that some of us with P90DL's aren't getting the level of performance we expected, yet I'm making monthly payments on a jaw-droppingly expensive P90DL that I purchased based on these articles:

2015 Tesla Model S P90D - Instrumented Test

2015 Tesla Model S P90D w/Ludicrous Upgrade First Test

No correction or retractions of these articles were ever requested by Tesla, so everyone should have been right to assume that the cars that "Joe Q. Public" purchased would be just as powerful . . . but that appears to not be the case, at least for some of us.

P85D buyers are in a similar situation so the class is large enough to gather attorney interest. This is getting bigger, and what occurred in Norway is likely to happen here, but with much more publicity, none of it good.

**Jon McNeill, time to come to our rescue again, please.**

Thanks!

Just asking but what case would you have? Does the car meet the advertised specs? If so then I don't see how any 3rd party articles could be used to go after Tesla in any way. I don't know if your P90DL gets the advertised 0-60 time but if it does, or did when you first got it, then I don't think you'll get very far...

Am I wrong to think about it in these terms?

Jeff

Just asking but what case would you have? Does the car meet the advertised specs? If so then I don't see how any 3rd party articles could be used to go after Tesla in any way. I don't know if your P90DL gets the advertised 0-60 time but if it does, or did when you first got it, then I don't think you'll get very far...

Jeff

Does not meet spec. But IANAL. What counts as proof? Paying a professional driver and notarizing the result?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike

Jeff

IMO no.

Admitting that you bought a car, and based that purchase on magazine articles, and then trying to successfully sue the manufacturer because you can't get magazines results, ...well stranger things have happened. But that one will be a stretch.

Last edited:

Jeff
The case, if there was one, would be that Tesla used the performance specs from Motor Trend on their order page at the time in 2015 and Elon tweeted about how great they were citing the Motor Trend article. Then later that year, after people couldn't match those specs, Tesla tweaked the wording on their order page to give them some wiggle room.
So here we are almost two years later and not one car from 2015 other than the car Tesla provided to Motor Trend has met those specs.

The case, if there was one, would be that Tesla used the performance specs from Motor Trend on their order page at the time in 2015 and Elon tweeted about how great they were citing the Motor Trend article. Then later that year, after people couldn't match those specs, Tesla tweaked the wording on their order page to give them some wiggle room.
So here we are almost two years later and not one car from 2015 other than the car Tesla provided to Motor Trend has met those specs.
When I purchased my P90DL in Sept 2015 - I justified the high cost, by comparing the performance to other cars in the same category. I explained ( to my awesome wife ) that while $10K is a lot of money for an increase of tenths of seconds in performance, the cost of the car is sometimes 10 times less than similarly performing cars. Putting the car in super-car category at a great discount. If the car met those specs it would be a great purchase. But for every tenth of a second it fails to meet those specs the price plummets. When I found out that V3 cars were getting the performance spec'd I was so happy. I figured "for sure" Tesla was going to makes things right for the V1 and V2 owners. I contacted Tesla and in talking with the SA stated how happy I was they FINALLY fixed the performance and range issue with my car ( V1 ), and when can I get my battery replaced with a V3 battery? I didn't feel going after the problem from a performance angle would play, since earlier discussions with my SA were such that we went back and forth as to how am I to prove my car can't do 10.9. So I punted , and instead went after the fact that the V3 cars were reporting up to and above 270 miles of rated range at max SOC. My V1 battery was at 246 max SOC. When I first bought the car I was getting 268. Within the first 2 months I was at 254, basically removing the 6% range increase I paid $3K for.
So after a year - Tesla did end up replacing the V1 battery with a V3. I am telling you this in the hopes you will be compensated also. If however, you are getting the range expected... I would not expect Tesla to do anything. Though the V1 cars may not have reached the target 10.9 in the wild, we don't have any proof it can't be done. And they have come so close, that there may be some technique that will get them to 10.9. I am not knowledgeable about quarter mile racing. That is why earlier I wanted to know what exactly Motor Trend did, and what the specs were on the car they tested that reliably ripped off 10.9's.
I understand V1 owners frustrations, and hope that Tesla can do something to make them happy customers.

... Elon tweeted about how great they were citing the Motor Trend article....
That is the biggest attack vector. When does a tweet from the CEO become subject to advertising standards?

Arguably he has a duty of care to ensure customers are not misled, and so by endorsing results that are known to be un-achievable, then this casts a shadow over the credibility/ethos of the business.

@Walta

10 North American Race Tracks You Need To Visit

The Model S is a great car, but an S90D and a track toy (if you have the spare time to commit) is IMHO far better then paying the P premium. That is why the other cars, whilst good at top trumps of 0-60 and 1/4 mile specs, are so much more expensive.

In a perfect world an X to tow your toy to the track maybe? ;)
@smac Very cool !!! Thanks. I am retiring later this year... so the wife and I are very interested in seeing more exciting things, instead of just golf courses. Nice.

Reactions: smac
That is the biggest attack vector. When does a tweet from the CEO become subject to advertising standards?

Tweets don't matter.

Our president is probably tweeting right now if he can.

At the end of the day, and after all of that tweeting, the Mexicans are probably still not going to pay for that wall.

Arguably he has a duty of care to ensure customers are not misled, and so by endorsing results that are known to be un-achievable, then this casts a shadow over the credibility/ethos of the business.

Known by whom to be "unachievable".

That's the big hurdle.

If the position is that Tesla "knew" or should have known that 10.9 was unachieveable, well then there is the minor detail of proving that they know or should have known this.

I can't hit my Ping driver like Bubba Watson hits his.

Should I be able to hold Ping accountable for my not being able to hit my drives as far as Watson can hit his?

I bought a set of these knives after watching Gordon Ramsay, the chef from Hell's Kitchen.

But I couldn't use them like he did in the video and I ended up chopping off four of my fingers, poking my eye out and severely damaging a testicle trying to do what he does with that same knife.

Fortunately they found the testicle and were able to reattach it.

But I'm still upset and I still have nightmares about the whole thing because his results are unachievable. And while he didn't tweet them he did make a YouTube video about his results and so he is responsible.

Should I sue somebody because I couldn't get the same results that Ramsay gets?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I bought a set of these knives after watching Gordon Ramsay, the chef from Hell's Kitchen.

But I couldn't use them like he did in the video and I ended up chopping off four of my fingers, poking my eye out and severely damaging a testicle trying to do what he does with that same knife.

I watched your knife video, and now I want those knives, but I'm a little worried about my fingers and my...ahhh, nevermind.

• Funny
Reactions: Walta
P85DEE,
Given your last most positive snipe, I thought I would return the favor all in the interest of good fun.

You may perhaps be doing the world a favor if you kept playing with those knives and getting both of your guys :)

I read your post in good humor; hopefully you will do the same for me.

That wasn't a "snipe". That was a compliment.:)

But to your comment, well, I've donated to the blood bank and in my days as a struggling student was a frequent contributor to the other well known bank, the one which is named for a certain type of whale, and which benefits medical science. :)

So had the mishap been more severe, all would not have been lost, and the world would be just as happy as it is now. :D

• Funny
Reactions: hostman