Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
really
really
really
hope this is not the case :(

It
really
really
really
could be the case

What if 1600A was a bug, never should've happened?
Or, was there a specific promise?

Good
Question

Tesla explicitly promised 1500A (Elon said Ludicrous upgrade boosts current "from 1300A to 1500 Amps").
http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-s-just-got-upgraded-to-ludicrous-speed-1718577723

1600A was never promised. 1600A was not even a thing until the V2 batteries, the V1 batteries never experienced that.

This situation is exactly what I talked about as a possibility. Tesla may move all P90DLs to the same baseline (1500A which they promised). This changes the argument back to the quarter mile, which comes with other conditions to test (SOC, vehicle weight/configuration, tire/wheel, track/environmental variables, etc).

Good
point

So let me take a step back here the clue is in Jon's post...

I went out to test this morning and reached 500kw and 1605 Amps in launchmode so it seems to be true... again only in launchmode as stated above the car will not achieve those numbers in any other mode as it's restricted to 1500Amps. Previously it could get 500kw+ and 1600 Amps with just max battery ready and without launch mode.

So to repeat myself... this recent update changed how the car performs in all Ludicrous modes, exept launchmode which retains the full performance. Matching with Jon's statement that maximum power output will be achievable anytime launchmode and max battery power are engaged! I'd be interested to hear how everyone feels about that?

It's obviously less usable then it was before but it's likely done to reduce high amperage usage which was previously always available at a full throttle press. I believe the consensus was that launchmode yields a worse reaction time at the drag strip vs just flooring the petal? @NSX1992 @fiksegts ? With this change for the best elapsed time you would have to use launch mode now. I'm interested if this effects the P100D in the same way as well... I'd suspect so!

Interesting
result.

So
One can
Get
1600 amps
BUT
If one wants
to get 1600 amps in a race vs another car
THEN
they will have to use launch mode
AND
possibly get a worse reaction time or
RED LIGHT
attempting to get it.

WOW

That would be good
for
a
time trial and drag times
record.
But
of less benefit
in an actual race against
another
car.

So they're giving you
the 1600 amps
BUT
You have to use launch mode
in order
to get
it.

Jeepers
What do you make of all of this
Lola
champ
car
?

Last edited:
On the plus side, at least there now appears to be a pathway to 1600 A and 10.9 seconds.

Unfortunately, it involves going through the launch mode routine, which to me felt like it was stressing the car more than just hitting the go pedal.
The pathway at purchase was to select ludicrous mode for max performance. If we allow this to suffice... what is stopping them from adding more required steps? Think about how we got here... correct me if I am wrong but it went something like...

Pathway progression to 2.8 0-60 and 10.9 quarter mile
1. Ludicrous mode
2. Ludicrous mode with Max Battery
3. Ludicrous mode with Max Battery Ready
4. Ludicrous mode with Max Battery Ready with 90% or greater charge
5. Ludicrous mode with Max Battery Ready with 90% or greater charge and in Launch Mode
6. ?????

I have asked Tesla for my money back. I told them I would drop the car off. I am cancelling my Model 3 order.

Unless they give me back the performance I paid for as advertised at time of purchase. Which was select ludicrous mode, and enjoy.

What do they do now during a test drive?

Customer: I would like to experience ludicrous mode?
Tesla: Sure lets get you into a P90DL
Customer: Ok - now what?
Tesla: Hold on a second, I just have to turn on ludicrous mode.
Customer: Cool - that was easy! Lets go.
Tesla: Hold on a minute, I need to enable Max Battery.
Tesla: Hold on about 25-35 minutes... we need to wait for Max Battery Ready.
Customer:
Tesla:
Customer:
Tesla:
Customer: Really? Like every time?
Tesla: yes
Customer: Ok it's been 30 minutes - the Max Battery is Ready! Lets go.
Tesla: Ok now you need to go into Launch mode.( explains the details )
Customer: Really? I can't just hit the pedal?
Tesla: Not if you want to experience the full performance - that costs thousands of dollars.
Customer: Never mind - it's not worth all the hassle. Thanks for your time..

The pathway at purchase was to select ludicrous mode for max performance. If we allow this to suffice... what is stopping them from adding more required steps? Think about how we got here... correct me if I am wrong but it went something like...

1. Ludicrous mode
5. Ludicrous mode with Max Battery Ready with 90% or greater charge and in Launch Mode
6. ?????

I have asked Tesla for my money back. I told them I would drop the car off. I am cancelling my Model 3 order.

Unless they give me back the performance I paid for as advertised at time of purchase. Which was select ludicrous mode, and enjoy.

Customer:
Tesla:
Customer:
Tesla:
Tesla: Not if you want to experience the full performance - that costs thousands of dollars.

To be fair, this will always be true for any Li-Ion powered EV. Better performance will ALWAYS be possible at the highest state of charge and when the batteries are warmest. This is true for the P100D and will be true for any EV going forward.

Reactions: bhzmark

1. Ludicrous mode
6. ?????

Customer:
Tesla:
Customer:
Tesla:

Tesla: It's not a bother. Glad you stopped in. BTW, which vehicles will you be looking at next which can offer you the performance that this one can even without Max Battery, and the same fuel economy and wow factor? What, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac?? When you get to their dealerships, be sure to tell everyone there that we said "hello". And BTW, we quit making P90DL cars.

And as far as you canceling your Model 3 reservation, well lets see, $700,000,000 - $1,000.0 leaves us at about $699,999,000.00 as a result of us giving you back your $1,000.00.

oops we just got somebody else to take your spot with their own $1,000.00.

Tesla Model 3: Tesla is now holding close to $700 million in customer deposits

Last edited:
Reactions: hostman
To be fair, this will always be true for any Li-Ion powered EV. Better performance will ALWAYS be possible at the highest state of charge and when the batteries are warmest. This is true for the P100D and will be true for any EV going forward.
One caveat is this only applies to performance EVs where the battery is a bottleneck. For a EV with a weak motor (like the Leaf for example), the baseline performance is so low that it never even gets close to where the battery is a factor (except in the extremely low SOCs).

Reactions: hostman
That part I get. That is fair. And I expected the power to decline linearly as the battery level reduced.

But not that the software was controlling the power delivery in a way that has so many requirements. Especially when NONE of the requirements except for selecting ludicrous mode were discussed by Tesla or advertised by Tesla at time of purchase.

1. Ludicrous mode
6. ?????

And with a p100d and ludicrous plus you add even more steps

Select Ludicrous
Turn on max battery power
Press and hold on ludicrous button for x seconds to display ludicrous plus
Select bring it on
Wait for battery to come to temperature
Then enter launch mode

I'm hoping someone with the current software update and a p100dl will do some KW testing with the 4 different modes now available

max battery ready
with max battery ready and launch mode
with max battery and Ludicrous plus
and with max battery ready and Ludicrous plus with launch mode

What a mouthful lol

And with a p100d and ludicrous plus you add even more steps

Select Ludicrous
Turn on max battery power
Press and hold on ludicrous button for x seconds to display ludicrous plus
Select bring it on
Wait for battery to come to temperature
Then enter launch mode

Has anyone with a P100D confirmed that you need to engage Launch Mode to get maximum power?

Reactions: bhzmark
This is not good. So when you pass someone you will not get full power as you can only engage Launch Mode from a standing start. Plus using launch mode at the drags against another car is difficult. I can understand that since we have an electric car the battery needs to be at an optimum temperature and high level of charge for maximum power but I don't like or understand that launch mode has to be enabled for maximum power. I suspect it is to reduce the use of full power and save wear and tear on the drivetrain and battery.

would be interesting to see a chart of power over time during an acceleration run. I reached 450+ only from 40mph to 60mph and after 60 it went down to ~440 -- holding steady up to 100 mph.

maybe that extra boost is only to ramp up to 60mph anyway (to sacrifice a little longevity to goose the 0-60 times), and above that the power is held to a more sustainable level (i.e., lower mean-time-to-failure).

edit to add:
I report the fact that my P85DL provides the highest power only from 40-60. This was only one data point that I still had loaded in my powertools.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a powertools or Teslalog data when I did my 11.3 1/4 run last year because of bad connectivity. Would be interested to see other runs of power curves. I think there are some posted here but I haven't looked.

Based on that fact I speculate that maybe Tesla is giving the max power (for the P85DL, and perhaps other models) only in that < 60mph range.

Last edited:
@bhzmark if I understand you correctly, the capping of performance only applies to 0-60. After 60 something else was coming in to play anyway, so passing performance at higher speeds (50+) shouldn't be impacted significantly even if you started off without launch mode engaged.

Without skin in the game, that sounds like a fairly reasonable approach.

I will say this has all been poorly communicated by Tesla to existing owners, where a bit more upfront openness/clarity could have sold this as an acceptable compromise. Yes there would be caveats to extract advertised specs using measurement gear (like having to use a launch mode, as in every other car with crazy 0-60 times), but if it had been like that from the get go, I get the feeling it would have been completely understood by all parties.