Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack rat deterrent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mr.ottley First of all welcome to TMC. Secondly, I don’t understand the nature of your question? It’s in the same realm of someone asking if they should put air in their tires if they’re low. If rats are are an issue in your area and Tesla wiring is known to attract little critters, due to the plant based materials used for the coverings, why wouldn’t you just install these deterrents? I don’t think asking Tesla is going to get you very far regarding a rat issue. Good luck and may you and your car remain rat free.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I have one of these.
I bought it and sold the car and leased a new one. I never had chance to install it on the old car. I don't want to install it on a leased car.
shoot me a message if someone wants it.
$15 shipped.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 10.48.08 AM.png

@mr.ottley First of all welcome to TMC. Secondly, I don’t understand the nature of your question? It’s in the same realm of someone asking if they should put air in their tires if they’re low. If rats are are an issue in your area and Tesla wiring is known to attract little critters, due to the plant based materials used for the coverings, why wouldn’t you just install these deterrents? I don’t think asking Tesla is going to get you very far regarding a rat issue. Good luck and may you and your car remain rat free.

My question wasn't well defined. What I really would like to know is where to install the pack rat deterrents. The underside of the car is virtually sealed although there would be access in the wheel areas. I've heard that most of the wiring is under the back seat on a Model 3 (as opposed to earlier Model S cars) but definitive information seems to be non-existent. Since it is only going to be outside for a month I'll just use a spray deterrent. Biokleen has Bac-Out which according to a mechanic works. Thanks for the replies.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
My question wasn't well defined. What I really would like to know is where to install the pack rat deterrents. The underside of the car is virtually sealed although there would be access in the wheel areas. I've heard that most of the wiring is under the back seat on a Model 3 (as opposed to earlier Model S cars) but definitive information seems to be non-existent. Since it is only going to be outside for a month I'll just use a spray deterrent. Biokleen has Bac-Out which according to a mechanic works. Thanks for the replies.
Fwiw, someone in the mouse thread recommended this:
Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent - Environmentally Friendly, Keeps Mice Out, 4 Scent Pouches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L236OMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UXodFbZANP3VG

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I received a call yesterday from a Tesla technician in Cupertino. He said the wiring is well protected (encased?) in the Model 3 and that they have received no reports of rodents chewing on the wires. He did say that sometimes a rodent will climb up a wheel well, get stuck, die and produce a very unpleasant odor – here in Arizona it would probably mummify before that would happen. I had the shop that has installed the strobe deterrents on our other cars spray the undercarriage and wheel wells with the chemical deterrent which should prevent any intrusion.