TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

pack replacement 60 -> 70

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by brianman, Apr 18, 2015.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Has anyone asked Tesla and been answered regarding how much it would cost to upgrade an S60 to an "S70" (upgrade the battery pack). I don't have a 60 kWh vehicle, but if I did I'd love to hear what the options are when/if I decide to replace the battery pack. Given that the 60 kWh vehicle is no longer offered for new configuration, it's good time to ask Tesla this question IMO.

As an outside observer, I'm interested to see what they say because it gives us a glimpse of what it might be like for 70 and 85 kWh vehicle owners when (eventually) >85 kWh packs are available.

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Wouldn't you rather wait for a 100 kWh pack? 10 kWh hardly seems worth the effort.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I suspect the 60->70 answer might be significantly different from the 60->85 answer, and I'm not sure which the 60->100 would align with.

4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I wonder if they will keep 60's on hand? If a 60 needs replacement and they only have 70s on hand do you get a free 10kwh upgrade or do they software limit a 70 to 60?

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

They still replace classic A batteries with refurbished A's... So I would say it is safe to say that 60s will be available

6. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

A very interesting question I agree. But as more time passes without a formalized battery upgrade program the less likely it seems to me that Tesla will every provide such an offering. My guess is that anyone who asks will just be pointed towards the CPO program and a used 85. Not sure why but that seems to be the direction they are taking. Must be more trouble than it's worth for some reason, but I've only ever heard speculation as to why.

7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Batteries are currently the limiting factor in the Tesla supply chain. No reason to put efforts into selling batteries without cars when there aren't enough batteries in the first place. I expect the gigafactory to change this, but it may take many years after opening to reach the point where batteries are plentiful. Also, the gigafactory will help with the process of refurbishing the old batteries.

8. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Gaswalla, what to do you make of the probable stationary storage announcement? You very well be right, but why would Tesla sell a stationary storage battery if they are battery supplied constrained? Maybe the margin is better, but it just does not seem likely.

9. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I think David Nolan upgraded his pack from a 60 to an 85. He writes for what, green car reports? I'm on a tablet or I'd find it for you...

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Stationary storage will likely be the destination for recycled / refurbished packs that cannot reasonably be put into a new vehicle. It's a great way to repurpose something that isn't making Tesla money when it is sitting on the shelf as inventory. A battery pack that has declined from 85kWh down to 50 isn't useful in a vehicle. But it would be fantastic in my garage, load leveling and during power outages.

11. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Hmmm. Think these initial home storage units will be refurbished batteries? Hadn't considered that would be happening out the gate, but certainly could answer the "supply constraint" problem.

I suppose they'll either come via a lease or maybe with a long warranty thereby avoiding concerns about buying "used" batteries.

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Soon after that was published, Tesla started refusing to do pack upgrades.

13. tomp

tomp Member

If batteries are the limiting factor in their supply chain, why would they introduce a new product later this month that is purported to be a home battery? (I'm not disputing that batteries may be the limiting factor, but if so, it seems interesting?)

14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

1. We don't know what is coming in 10 days

2. At some point in the future there will be excess battery supply. It's just we don't know if that is 10 days from now, 10 months from now, or some other date.

15. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I've wondered this as well. My guess is that the batteries are somehow different enough from the car batteries not to share the same production constraints. Maybe there's a different chemistry and different production techniques. Maybe they're units that failed a more stringent QA test for use in cars but are acceptable for use in the home (lower capacity per volume/weight, for example). Maybe this is where all the old Roadster batteries are going once everybody buys the upgrade.

16. David99

David99 Active Member

I'm sure the home storage battery will be coming around the same time when they announce a battery upgrade option for the Model S. Lots of people will upgrade to a larger battery pack (whatever size it will be) and Tesla will repackage the old batteries into grid storage units.

17. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I didn't think that Tesla has been battery constrained for quite some time. They are "production constrained", but that's not necessarily the same as being battery constrained.