Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pack replacement 60 -> 70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Has anyone asked Tesla and been answered regarding how much it would cost to upgrade an S60 to an "S70" (upgrade the battery pack). I don't have a 60 kWh vehicle, but if I did I'd love to hear what the options are when/if I decide to replace the battery pack. Given that the 60 kWh vehicle is no longer offered for new configuration, it's good time to ask Tesla this question IMO.

As an outside observer, I'm interested to see what they say because it gives us a glimpse of what it might be like for 70 and 85 kWh vehicle owners when (eventually) >85 kWh packs are available.

A very interesting question I agree. But as more time passes without a formalized battery upgrade program the less likely it seems to me that Tesla will every provide such an offering. My guess is that anyone who asks will just be pointed towards the CPO program and a used 85. Not sure why but that seems to be the direction they are taking. Must be more trouble than it's worth for some reason, but I've only ever heard speculation as to why.

Batteries are currently the limiting factor in the Tesla supply chain. No reason to put efforts into selling batteries without cars when there aren't enough batteries in the first place. I expect the gigafactory to change this, but it may take many years after opening to reach the point where batteries are plentiful. Also, the gigafactory will help with the process of refurbishing the old batteries.

Gaswalla, what to do you make of the probable stationary storage announcement? You very well be right, but why would Tesla sell a stationary storage battery if they are battery supplied constrained? Maybe the margin is better, but it just does not seem likely.

Batteries are currently the limiting factor in the Tesla supply chain. No reason to put efforts into selling batteries without cars when there aren't enough batteries in the first place. I expect the gigafactory to change this, but it may take many years after opening to reach the point where batteries are plentiful. Also, the gigafactory will help with the process of refurbishing the old batteries.

Gaswalla, what to do you make of the probable stationary storage announcement? You very well be right, but why would Tesla sell a stationary storage battery if they are battery supplied constrained? Maybe the margin is better, but it just does not seem likely.

Stationary storage will likely be the destination for recycled / refurbished packs that cannot reasonably be put into a new vehicle. It's a great way to repurpose something that isn't making Tesla money when it is sitting on the shelf as inventory. A battery pack that has declined from 85kWh down to 50 isn't useful in a vehicle. But it would be fantastic in my garage, load leveling and during power outages.

If batteries are the limiting factor in their supply chain, why would they introduce a new product later this month that is purported to be a home battery? (I'm not disputing that batteries may be the limiting factor, but if so, it seems interesting?)

If batteries are the limiting factor in their supply chain, why would they introduce a new product later this month that is purported to be a home battery? (I'm not disputing that batteries may be the limiting factor, but if so, it seems interesting?)

1. We don't know what is coming in 10 days

2. At some point in the future there will be excess battery supply. It's just we don't know if that is 10 days from now, 10 months from now, or some other date.

I've wondered this as well. My guess is that the batteries are somehow different enough from the car batteries not to share the same production constraints. Maybe there's a different chemistry and different production techniques. Maybe they're units that failed a more stringent QA test for use in cars but are acceptable for use in the home (lower capacity per volume/weight, for example). Maybe this is where all the old Roadster batteries are going once everybody buys the upgrade.

I'm sure the home storage battery will be coming around the same time when they announce a battery upgrade option for the Model S. Lots of people will upgrade to a larger battery pack (whatever size it will be) and Tesla will repackage the old batteries into grid storage units.