Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Swap on 70D to 90kWh HP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize that there is a visible sticker on the battery pack (Thanks dennis_d) that you can see from the right front wheel well if you turn the wheels all the way left. My battery is definitely 350VDC.

ASY,HV BATT,75KWH,SX
75kWh,5B,350VDC
TESLA PART NUMBER
1101082-00
TESLA SERIAL NUMBER
T17F01xxx​

wdolson have you checked yours? Easiest to take a picture of it at an angle as the voltage line of the sticker is now hidden behind the wheel well liner. You could still be right for other car order and production dates, but my theory on the upgrade option code is not. BR00 (No Range Upgrade) may mean that there is NO possible firmware setting to upgrade the range.

Were the 75D batteries placed in the 60D vehicles before it was announced that Tesla was providing firmware upgradable batteries? If so, and someone has one, I assume that they all stated 75kWh.

So this lends to the theory that pre-6/15 build 75Ds could be software upgraded for speed without straining components if your pack is still 350.

I don't understand why that wouldn't be the case, as the 90D was able to handle the acceleration without any wear to the drive unit.

Something else to keep in mind is that a 70D was tested by dragtimes with consistent 5.0 and 4.9 second 0-60 times and that motortrend managed 3.9 seconds out of a P85. It's clear that Tesla understates the performance of their cars with the exception of the P100D etc
Does this mean the new 75D can do the sprint in 3.9 or 4.0? Or have they now quoted more realistic times?
I've also spoken to a Tesla tech who told me the overheat limiting is for the rear motor stator not the battery. This is why the performance cars have a larger rear motor.
I'm still in hope of a performance upgrade to my 60D! :)

Something else to keep in mind is that a 70D was tested by dragtimes with consistent 5.0 and 4.9 second 0-60 times and that motortrend managed 3.9 seconds out of a P85. It's clear that Tesla understates the performance of their cars with the exception of the P100D etc
Does this mean the new 75D can do the sprint in 3.9 or 4.0? Or have they now quoted more realistic times?
I've also spoken to a Tesla tech who told me the overheat limiting is for the rear motor stator not the battery. This is why the performance cars have a larger rear motor.
I'm still in hope of a performance upgrade to my 60D! :)

I believe the 70D was exactly 5.2 and haven't seen one tested better other than DragTimes YouTube video. My old 70D was probably that quick at full charge. The refresh I don't think is quicker than 5.2 given it is a much heavier ride.

I believe the 70D was exactly 5.2 and haven't seen one tested better other than DragTimes YouTube video. My old 70D was probably that quick at full charge. The refresh I don't think is quicker than 5.2 given it is a much heavier ride.
If you watch the whole video the car did 3 runs 5.2, 5.0 and 5.1. He then mentions that his equipment tends to round up and Its probably a 4.9. Wiki has all 70d 60d 75d at 2090kg. I have owned all three and interestingly the two 60d/75d ap2 refresh cars I had felt slightly different in power delivery. The car i have now was built after the factory was retooled in February and the accelerator/response feels different. Subtle difference, not sure if just software or something else

I didn't realize that there is a visible sticker on the battery pack (Thanks dennis_d) that you can see from the right front wheel well if you turn the wheels all the way left. My battery is definitely 350VDC.

ASY,HV BATT,75KWH,SX
75kWh,5B,350VDC
TESLA PART NUMBER
1101082-00
TESLA SERIAL NUMBER
T17F01xxx​

wdolson have you checked yours? Easiest to take a picture of it at an angle as the voltage line of the sticker is now hidden behind the wheel well liner. You could still be right for other car order and production dates, but my theory on the upgrade option code is not. BR00 (No Range Upgrade) may mean that there is NO possible firmware setting to upgrade the range.

Were the 75D batteries placed in the 60D vehicles before it was announced that Tesla was providing firmware upgradable batteries? If so, and someone has one, I assume that they all stated 75kWh.

I took a picture of the pack label the first day I had the car (I'm geeky that way), but I have a 2016 vintage 90D. There was never any doubt about the voltage of that pack, it was always going to be 400 VDC.

The small pack batteries evolved 60->70->75. They released a new 60 for a little while which was always advertised as a software limited 75 pack. When the 75 pack came out, Tesla revealed they had been making the 75 pack for a bit and was just software limited to 70. People who got the late 70 packs were able to upgrade to 75 for a fee. I think people who were in the production queue when the announcement came got the upgrade for free, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

The original 60 packs aren't upgradable via firmware to anything, they really are just 60 KWh.

So this lends to the theory that pre-6/15 build 75Ds could be software upgraded for speed without straining components if your pack is still 350.

I don't understand why that wouldn't be the case, as the 90D was able to handle the acceleration without any wear to the drive unit.

The 75 pack has 6216 cells. The 90 pack has 7104 cells. Each cell is able to contribute x peak current without damaging the cells. With more cells, you get more peak current out of the pack. Hence you can get better acceleration performance with the same drive train. The limiting factor is how much current you can pull out of the pack without damaging the cells.

The 90D has poorer acceleration performance than the P90D because the limiting factor is primarily the drive train. The P90D had the larger rear motor which could take more power when accelerating without damage. They later came up with a new fuse on the pack that enabled a bit more current draw from the pack and allowed Ludicrous mode on the P90D. That says the limiting factor on the P90D was again how much the pack could produce. The P100D has better performance than the P90D again because there are more cells in the pack.

The performance of the system is limited by whatever the limits of the weakest link are. They basically boil down to:

75 pack (at least before the last few weeks) - limit is the current available from the cells in the pack
90/100 pack standard motors - limit is most likely the motors
90/100 pack performance motors - limit appears to be the battery

They may have some other parts in the performance cars that allow more current to flow into the motors that aren't on the non-performance cars, but a lot of people have taken apart Teslas and I've never heard of anyone finding anything different in the standard vs performance drive trains (dual motor cars) other than the pack fuse and the larger rear motor.

Reactions: N..8