Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Package Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im very excited to pickup my new Model 3 on Friday.

One of the reasons I picked Tesla is I strongly felt Tesla was different and their pricing and ordering model was not not only efficient, but professional and treated the buyer like an adult and did not include the games that normally are associated with purchasing a vehicle.

So that’s why I was extremely disappointed after placing my order and paying my deposit.

Only after ordering was it made clear that there was an additional $1200 destination fee. Normally the total price at the bottom is the total price. But not with Tesla

When you build your car, it lists the destination fee above the total price, and in small print says fees and taxes additional.

This is extremely misleading and I feel Tesla should change this practice immediately. I would have still bought the car. Treat us like adults. Quit playing games. Continue to be different. And continue to be a leader.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Im very excited to pickup my new Model 3 on Friday.

One of the reasons I picked Tesla is I strongly felt Tesla was different and their pricing and ordering model was not not only efficient, but professional and treated the buyer like an adult and did not include the games that normally are associated with purchasing a vehicle.

So that’s why I was extremely disappointed after placing my order and paying my deposit.

Only after ordering was it made clear that there was an additional $1200 destination fee. Normally the total price at the bottom is the total price. But not with Tesla

When you build your car, it lists the destination fee above the total price, and in small print says fees and taxes additional.

This is extremely misleading and I feel Tesla should change this practice immediately. I would have still bought the car. Treat us like adults. Quit playing games. Continue to be different. And continue to be a leader.

Actually, no new car I have ever purchased had the destination charge shown in the "advertised" price. I cant think of anynew car company that quotes the price including destination and taxes.. at least in the US... until you actually get to the purchase part anyway.

Reactions: Tz00
What car brand do you see advertising the price with destination included?

I just clicked build the car link on BMWUSA.com and tesla.com.
here are the screenshots.
to an unbiased person, tesla site is misleading while bmw is translucent.

30hrfh3.jpg

uycg3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
There's evidently some laws that define the destination fee. Tesla doesn't seem to have an option.
The only law regarding destination fees that I know of
are that they be listed as a separate item on the invoice. There is a common misconception that they all have to be the same regardless of destination but that's not true.

I just clicked build the car link on BMWUSA.com and tesla.com.
here are the screenshots.
to an unbiased person, tesla site is misleading while bmw is translucent.

30hrfh3.jpg

uycg3.jpg
I can't see your images but I just clicked on the BMW site and there is a big "MSRP" bubble on the bottom of the build pages with a tiny little info link that tells you that that price doesn't include taxes, destination, fee, paperwork, etc... The difference with the Tesla page is that you can't click the "Details" link until the last build page.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
All new cars have Destination/Delivery fees. This is a good article to read if you are new to buying new cars.

What are Destination Charges? | Kelley Blue Book

Cliff notes:

"It's Government Mandated
The destination fee should be regarded as yet another cost of doing new car business. There are several other fees that manufacturers must bake into the price of their new cars and trucks, but the U.S. government has required this fee be itemized on the sticker based on the fact that it is a direct cost, above and beyond the "overhead" companies must incur in bringing a product to market. Tax, license and a detailed list of all the standard and manufacturer-installed options and their retail prices must also be clearly listed on the "Monroney label" of each new car.

Truth be told, most manufacturers use the same pool of U.S. freight carriers — each competing for their transport business with the professionalism and care the manufacturers demand. With this in mind, the fact that the fees are basically comparable to each other isn't too much of a surprise. Of course, high-line vehicles must be handled with even greater care and, in some cases, transported in covered vehicles."