Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did our first longer trip today from Surrey to Devon. Half way we stopped for a toilet break and recharge at Amesbury. It was busy but no one had to wait (8/16). Then we wanted to charge up at the Exeter SuC. All 8 stalls full and 4 cars in front of us. So we drove to our accommodation first and returned at around 6pm. Still all 8 taken but I was the first in the queue this time.

Are the SuCs that full all the time or is that just ‘first day after lockdown and everyone is driving on holiday’?

I’ve noticed that the SuC wasn’t even appearing in the Tesla app anymore. Amesbury was listed as the second closest SuC. Now the chargers are back and Amesbury doesn’t even make it on the list anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
First day after lockdown I suspect. Similar instances around bank holidays and xmas (pre covid).

I noticed a few sites like Canary Wharf were maxed out too. All the the 2 stall sites were full on the Nav.

upcoming May bank holidays will be interesting!

I would recommended downloading the podpoint app. It shows pod point chargers - including the free ones at supermarkets. For example, I need to go to York and there are no Tesla chargers anywhere near there. But there is a nice free charger in Lidl - not a super charger, but at least that's something.

Not sure if any of the other aps such as zapmap do that - downloading it now to see.

Doesn’t help that blinking Elon fellow keeps selling yet more cars, damn-him!

Someone here has suggested a car-age ranked queue-jumping privilege system in the past....

(Woodall, Saturday 1745hrs, all 8/8 in use - first time I’ve seen it. Nice to see the new cars/help people work out the right connector though)

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000
I would recommended downloading the podpoint app. It shows pod point chargers - including the free ones at supermarkets. For example, I need to go to York and there are no Tesla chargers anywhere near there. But there is a nice free charger in Lidl - not a super charger, but at least that's something.

Not sure if any of the other aps such as zapmap do that - downloading it now to see.
Some faster chargers at the Outlet Retail Park. There must be more around York these days.

Tony

I've seen it a couple of times in the (pre Covid) past but only one, Warrington, I gave up on. Returned early the following morning as there were even some waiting outside the hotel grounds. I guess much of that was down to a Friday evening rush hour and only 2 stalls. Had a few other close calls too.

Last edited:
Had it a few times at Woodall on a Friday. More so when there were only two CCS connectors and S and Xs were using them (not pointing fingers!). Still occurred when all stalls were upgraded to dual connectors.

Hopefully smart queuing is in the works. Shame the “estimated wait time” hasn’t made it to the UK yet…

Hmm so when I travel down the M5 to Cornwall this summer on a Saturday in the summer holidays passing 4 superchargers on route all of which are 6 to 8 stall V2 Bristol, Bristol, Exeter, Lifton.
You think that might be an issue then 🤔 Fingers crossed for Bridgewater planned for Q2 then

Tesla show Q4 to open some additional SuC at the Exeter Services, part of the Ecotricity refresh thing happening (ps don;t hold breath for Q4).

Also 'coming soon' is Bridgewater, Taunton, Plymouth and Newquay so there's going to be a lot more capacity in the SW

For those who haven't ventured out much to the Tesla superchargers there are 4 types of user:
1. Model X user with free charging who spends the day charging to 100% because it's free.
2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%
3. Outlander driver who doesn't know what day it is.
4. Smart TMC forum readers who arrive at 10% SOC and depart at 50% 8 minutes later having spent the time picking up litter carefully left by the red Model S driver with the personalised number plate. (You know who you are)

For those who haven't ventured out much to the Tesla superchargers there are 4 types of user:
1. Model X user with free charging who spends the day charging to 100% because it's free.
2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%
3. Outlander driver who doesn't know what day it is.
4. Smart TMC forum readers who arrive at 10% SOC and depart at 50% 8 minutes later having spent the time picking up litter carefully left by the red Model S driver with the personalised number plate. (You know who you are)
Met a guy at the Heathrow one 2 days ago... asked me why is his car charging at 30Kw.... Asked him - is it SR or LR? "SR"... "No LR".... "What SoC is it?" - "50%"

Like, you don't know what car you bought? Why are you charging at 50%?

Asked him, is the battery cold? He looks at me like I'm from another planet. "Did you just arrive here from home?" - "Yes" - "Then the battery is cold - it'll get faster as it gets warmer - drive some more"

And before you berate me for acting like a twat.... I didn't I was very nice with him, but I had 2 kids in my car so didn't have a lot of time to dedicate .

So yeah, its happening. Wont be long before superchargers are just like regular fuel stops. When did you ever chat to anyone refuelling before when owning an ICE car?

Met a guy at the Heathrow one 2 days ago... asked me why is his car charging at 30Kw....

And this is where the challenge appears. If they driver didn't give two hoots about the car - it's just a conveyance, then it doesn't matter what model it is, or how cold it is, or indeed how fast it charges.

But the problem comes when you get that sort of person, but they do care about how quickly it charges, and they do care about what it's range at 100% is.

They're in that dangerous zone, where a little knowledge is dangerous/tedious.

On a number of occasions when using the Leeds SuC (opposite the Leeds SC), I have had people wonder across from the showroom looking for independent advice on Tesla. I don't mind chatting and given them both the good and bad of Tesla ownership, but I am always surprised at how shocked they are when they peer into the car and don't see my screen displaying 250kW, I then have to roll out the spiel on "up to" 250Kw and depends on X,Y,Z, etc.