Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who haven't ventured out much to the Tesla superchargers there are 4 types of user:
1. Model X user with free charging who spends the day charging to 100% because it's free.
2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%
3. Outlander driver who doesn't know what day it is.
4. Smart TMC forum readers who arrive at 10% SOC and depart at 50% 8 minutes later having spent the time picking up litter carefully left by the red Model S driver with the personalised number plate. (You know who you are)
I think I’ve met that Outlander driver!

Not quite plug and play but more of these pre-fabricated supercharger sites could really speed up the rollout:

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Some bit of hope is that they have a dedicated supercharger factory in China now, so the network is set to go into rapid expansion mode shortly.
not sure lack of supercharger hardware was ever the limiting factor was it?
I had always assumed finding sites, planning permission, electrical infrastructure, cost and labour were the more likely factors

Reactions: NewbieT and CMc1
Met a guy at the Heathrow one 2 days ago... asked me why is his car charging at 30Kw.... Asked him - is it SR or LR? "SR"... "No LR".... "What SoC is it?" - "50%"

Like, you don't know what car you bought? Why are you charging at 50%?

Asked him, is the battery cold? He looks at me like I'm from another planet. "Did you just arrive here from home?" - "Yes" - "Then the battery is cold - it'll get faster as it gets warmer - drive some more"

And before you berate me for acting like a twat.... I didn't I was very nice with him, but I had 2 kids in my car so didn't have a lot of time to dedicate .

So yeah, its happening. Wont be long before superchargers are just like regular fuel stops. When did you ever chat to anyone refuelling before when owning an ICE car?
the last new owner I encountered at a superchargers asked me how you turn on the "self steering thing" surprisingly (not) it turned out he was not familiar with stall pairing either which I took the opportunity to warn him about.

Explaining charge rates is easy if they've ever charged a mobile phone.. takes much longer to get from 90-100 than to get from 50-90 and a car is the same.

I've never encountered anyone really clueless except years ago when I had my leaf and some guy was having no luck getting the ecotricity pump working.. he didn't even know he needed an app - had just picked up the car and knew nothing.

Tesla show Q4 to open some additional SuC at the Exeter Services, part of the Ecotricity refresh thing happening (ps don;t hold breath for Q4).

Also 'coming soon' is Bridgewater, Taunton, Plymouth and Newquay so there's going to be a lot more capacity in the SW
Tesla also had a site 'planned' for Dorchester on their list for over 2-years that just vanished overnight earlier this year so I'm taking that list with a pinch of salt until work physically starts on them.

Superchargers get busy the same time the roads get busy - so Friday PM often bad, Sundays too. My advice would be the same for driving any type of car in the UK - If you can, travel at quieter times - after 9am weekdays, but always found Saturday mornings to be the quietest overall - then we never have issues with charger availability.

Also, I'd highly recommend installing Zap Map app on your phone - there are many places where there are non-Tesla chargers nearby so if you really need to fill up you can. The Instavolt network in particular is very easy to use and have loads of locations.

Met a guy at the Heathrow one 2 days ago... asked me why is his car charging at 30Kw.... Asked him - is it SR or LR? "SR"... "No LR".... "What SoC is it?" - "50%"

Like, you don't know what car you bought? Why are you charging at 50%?

Asked him, is the battery cold? He looks at me like I'm from another planet. "Did you just arrive here from home?" - "Yes" - "Then the battery is cold - it'll get faster as it gets warmer - drive some more"

And before you berate me for acting like a twat.... I didn't I was very nice with him, but I had 2 kids in my car so didn't have a lot of time to dedicate .

So yeah, its happening. Wont be long before superchargers are just like regular fuel stops. When did you ever chat to anyone refuelling before when owning an ICE car?
Not having a Tesla yet I've never been to a SuC. Surprised there aren't signs at every place with tips and hints on how to best charge.

Or put a sticker with the same info on every charger.

2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%

There is always an exception as ever, the new MIC SR+ don't have a daily charge limit anymore on the display or app. And many YouTube videos have advised to do 100%. Also different charging curves. I think I've seen some of these out and about.

I was relatively early in the Model 3 delivery pipeline and it was a novelty seeing another Model 3. Even an S or an X was unusual. Now it seems that they're everywhere. Tesla have added a lot of SuCs, but I'm sure it's not enough for peak times given the number of cars they've now sold in the UK. I guess it'll be a recurring theme until rapid chargers are ubiquitous - probably by about 2030.

Yesterday I had to help a lady at the Exeter SuC. She approached me asking for help because she could not plug in the cable. I had a look at it and she tried to connect the old Tesla connector to a new Model 3 ;-)

Sometimes you have to charge up to over 80% (At least with an SR+). We are going to Southampton from Exmouth and there are no SuC on the way. I will have to charge up the car the night before and it seems I am losing up to 10% overnight in a public car park at the moment (the car hasn’t slept since we left home on Monday. It seems overly excited to finally get out ;-) and I need at least 80% of charge leaving here if I want to leave a bit of safety. So while the main routes seems to be covered some areas are still a wasteland when it comes to SuC.

Same observation here, ones I checked today been at capacity frequently. I changed my plans when I checked.

But also, I've not seen the roads so busy for a long time. I was stuck in stop-start traffic jams that reminded me of pre-covid.

Not having a Tesla yet I've never been to a SuC. Surprised there aren't signs at every place with tips and hints on how to best charge.

Or put a sticker with the same info on every charger.

Something like this?

battery care.JPG

Is this going to be a problem forever?. Is it going to be economically viable for private companies to supply the volume of chargers needed to satisfy bank holidays. Saturdays in July etc when they will sit idle the other 330 days a year?
you get queueing at petrol stations on these days as well but as we know fueling an ICE takes 5 minutes so if you have to wait for 3 cars that's 15 minutes worst case not 2 hours.
Tesla have more of an incentive than most since their motive is selling cars not making a profit on SuC but there are still limits.
discuss

Is this going to be a problem forever?. Is it going to be economically viable for private companies to supply the volume of chargers needed to satisfy bank holidays. Saturdays in July etc when they will sit idle the other 330 days a year?
you get queueing at petrol stations on these days as well but as we know fueling an ICE takes 5 minutes so if you have to wait for 3 cars that's 15 minutes worst case not 2 hours.
Tesla have more of an incentive than most since their motive is selling cars not making a profit on SuC but there are still limits.
discuss
No they would be stupid to plan the SuC for Bank Holiday demand. But as there are more and more Teslas around the need for SuC is increasing. Just check densely the SuC network is on the East and West coast of the US to the UK and you will see that there is still a lot of room for improvement.

So far the SuC seem to be planned around major routes but the problem in holiday areas (e.g. Devon/Cornwall) is that you need a SuC to be able to charge up for your day trips. You are most likely not be able to charge up at the place you are staying.

Only time i've ever had to wait for a SuC was at Woodhall, and even then it was only for 10 mins. I can see congestion being more problematical over time, but nothing to the extent seen in Los Angeles. When this occurs my plan is to switch to only using places/hotels where there is destination charging and having a plan B in case I need to charge on the way. When I went to cornwall last year there was a great(though hidden) 50Kw charger at bodmin which was invaluable so it pays to hit the zapmap or plugshare in advance

After all, the SuC is really in addition to, not instead of the public charging network so at least we have the option.