Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did our first longer trip today from Surrey to Devon. Half way we stopped for a toilet break and recharge at Amesbury. It was busy but no one had to wait (8/16). Then we wanted to charge up at the Exeter SuC. All 8 stalls full and 4 cars in front of us. So we drove to our accommodation first and returned at around 6pm. Still all 8 taken but I was the first in the queue this time.

Are the SuCs that full all the time or is that just ‘first day after lockdown and everyone is driving on holiday’?

I’ve noticed that the SuC wasn’t even appearing in the Tesla app anymore. Amesbury was listed as the second closest SuC. Now the chargers are back and Amesbury doesn’t even make it on the list anymore.
Even worse now at Exeter. Mid July on a Friday afternoon I counted all stalls charging and 11 vehicles waiting. It would be utter madness to open to non Telsa EVs. It would set back the cause of EVs dramatically as everyone would suffer range anxiety. Currently only Tesla avoid this stress 99% of the time. The SC network was the main reason I went EV. If this happens and I can't be certain of easy access to charging I will either dispose of my M3 or get an additional ICE vehicle for long journeys.

It's often argued that there was similar anxiety within the SC network prior to the arrival of the M3, but I completely agree with @ParHunter's comments and its unlikely we reached a point of 11 MS/MX awaiting charging just before the arrival of the M3.

I have a strange interest in monitoring traffic through SCs around the country (am I the only one?), certain sections are really under severe pressure. Is it power supply that is holding back expansion at Tebay, Gretna etc?

It's clear that opening up the SC network on these main arterial routes will be a compete disaster in the summer months unless capacity is significanlty increased to cope, and soon.

Even worse now at Exeter. Mid July on a Friday afternoon I counted all stalls charging and 11 vehicles waiting. It would be utter madness to open to non Telsa EVs. It would set back the cause of EVs dramatically as everyone would suffer range anxiety. Currently only Tesla avoid this stress 99% of the time. The SC network was the main reason I went EV. If this happens and I can't be certain of easy access to charging I will either dispose of my M3 or get an additional ICE vehicle for long journeys.
there are certain chargers and certain locations which are pinch points. Exeter during July is one of them however I would be surprised if the average Supercharger is in use more than 10% of the time in the UK probably less than 5%. so if there is a way to utilise that other 90-95%% without without impacting us then that is just good business. Not saying they would do this but if they said anyone could use them from 11pm to 6am pretty sure it would be a non issue. letting anyone else use Exeter on a Saturday in July not so good.

edit
Assuming its done via app then all you do is remove busy superchargers from the app at peak times. Win win win.
Tesla make more money
Other drivers get access to more chargers, just not all the time
Tesla owners get to carry on feeling superior and get the best charging experience 🙂

Last edited:
Living near the Warrington Supercharger I can see why you may find this a useful interest...

Out of curiosity, are you able to access stats remotely? I heard that some had managed it but it got stomped on pretty quick.
Nothing so complex as that I'm afraid, just a passing interest, especially the newer ones to see the take-up.

Warrington (Park Royal Hotel) is constantly at capacity (2) during the day. The charge rate is also very poor, even if you arrive at a very low state of charge.

Reactions: MrBadger
Tesla are been told they have to by government or they simply wouldn't be allowed to operate, like it or not SCs will become open to all pretty soon.
Aren’t Tesla doing this globally anyway?

Elon keeps saying the only reason he built Tesla chargers in the first place was out of necessity, and he’s against brand specific chargers in the long run.

Isn’t it all part of the company’s aim “to accelerate the progress towards sustainable transport”.

I didn’t enjoy my 10 min wait at Tebay SuC last week but I think I’m broadly aware of having all networks being universal. Including Tesla’s

Last edited:
We recently did a trip from MK to Cardiff then Manchester with some messing around in between - the only busy supercharger we saw was Leicester with 7/8 but after about 25 mins it was empty again so I think it's really down to ebb and flow at most. Whilst going through the Brecon Beacons we charged at a single station Morrisons on Genie Point and had to wait for a leaf to finish then mess around with the app. Having the SC network is so so so much better than other networks, we had an I3 before the M3 and I've never been so relieved to have a reliable fuelling experience.

Aren’t Tesla doing this globally anyway?

In Europe and US its very much political, so unlike Elons normal mad promises on human robots this will likely happen sooner.

I‘ve been to 4 SCs today and 2 of them were at full capacity (Tebay and Abington). Gretna which we passed had apparently 7 cars waiting (Tebay had one waiting after we got the last free slot). So even without opening up the network to others Tesla has to increase the number of charges dramatically given how many cars they are going to sell in the next few years.

I say a few Gridserve/Ecotricity chargers as well, in pairs of 2! Only saw 3 cars charging (Tebay was full and one in Abington).

Compared to the public charger network we really have the real deal with the Superchargers.

I've been thinking for a long time about getting a Model 3, and decided, rightly or wrongly, to put off the purchase for the time being. It is because I fear that the charging network over the next year or two is going to be swamped with more EVs, all wanting to charge. The last thing I need after being stuck in roadworks on the motorway, is then to have to queue up to charge the bloomin' car as well. SWMBO would have a meltdown.

I think the start of the school holidays could turn into an absolute mare when more EVs are on the road. All wanting to charge at the service station, because they have underestimated their range by going at 80 mph +. I can see it now, loads of cars pushing in, lots of road rage in the q. A fair bit of fisticuffs between the men and hair pulling between the women.

I've been thinking for a long time about getting a Model 3, and decided, rightly or wrongly, to put off the purchase for the time being. It is because I fear that the charging network over the next year or two is going to be swamped with more EVs, all wanting to charge. The last thing I need after being stuck in roadworks on the motorway, is then to have to queue up to charge the bloomin' car as well. SWMBO would have a meltdown.

I think the start of the school holidays could turn into an absolute mare when more EVs are on the road. All wanting to charge at the service station, because they have underestimated their range by going at 80 mph +. I can see it now, loads of cars pushing in, lots of road rage in the q. A fair bit of fisticuffs between the men and hair pulling between the women.

If you wanted ease of charging by buying a Tesla and using Superchargers you would have been better buying sooner. The increase of new cars is higher than the increasing provision of Superchargers. Having said that these issues are presently being magnified by staycation holidays so not quite normal.

Reactions: maxf
If you wanted ease of charging by buying a Tesla and using Superchargers you would have been better buying sooner. The increase of new cars is higher than the increasing provision of Superchargers. Having said that these issues are presently being magnified by staycation holidays so not quite normal.
Still think it's going to get worse generally rather than better over the next few years as more people make the switch. People who buy an EV, I think make a very informed decision of what they're getting into and appreciate that charging on the go whilst on a road trip is part and parcel of ownership. Charge points will have to increase HUGELY to cope with the demand over the coming years, I just hope this country is ready. I fear it won't be.
I think having an EV as a second car is the ideal scenario for me for now, but in my circumstances, a Tesla is one hell of an expensive 2nd car.

Reactions: maxf
Still think it's going to get worse generally rather than better over the next few years as more people make the switch. People who buy an EV, I think make a very informed decision of what they're getting into and appreciate that charging on the go whilst on a road trip is part and parcel of ownership.
What you say was true a couple of years ago but now I think most EV's now are going to company drivers who a having them either due to the massive tax breaks or because their company said that's what they are getting who maybe don't really know what they are getting. Lost count of how many threads here have started "my company is giving me a model 3 as a company car and......." then goes on to ask a pretty basic question. Not a criticism, that person knew they needed to ask and came to the right place. but I think there are a lot of people now who are getting EV's now who haven't done the homework and are going to be in for a few surprises..

What you say was true a couple of years ago but now I think most EV's now are going to company drivers who a having them either due to the massive tax breaks or because their company said that's what they are getting who maybe don't really know what they are getting. Lost count of how many threads here have started "my company is giving me a model 3 as a company car and......." then goes on to ask a pretty basic question. Not a criticism, that person knew they needed to ask and came to the right place. but I think there are a lot of people now who are getting EV's now who haven't done the homework and are going to be in for a few surprises..
One of my friends last three cars have been BMW hybrid company cars which have been bought for tax reasons and never charged at home. He always used to say he wouldn’t get an EV unless he could get to London and back without refuelling, a 400 mile round trip for us. I used to point out that in his hybrids we always have to fill up once as he hasn’t got a 400 mile range.

As a company car driver he’s now being forced to get an EV by his company. He’s getting an ID.4 next week, partly because his budget has decreased as he’s gone part time. I’ve been helping to advise him about range and tools to help him plan regular routes.

He had a home charging point fitted recently in preparation for his EV. He actually charged his hybrid at home for the first time ever to test the new charging point.

I suspect partly due to the aesthetics of it but partly due to physics.
DC has far more in-line loss than AC, so the shorter the cable the better.
Not sure it’s relevant for a couple of metres difference, mind.
AC has more loss than DC for a given voltage. But at the current levels of a SC, a few meters does make a difference unless they increase the gauge which makes it more difficult to handle.

I imagine the main reason for the short cables though is to avoid the risk of a cable being run over and damaged or becoming a greater trip hazard.

Reactions: maxf and Rustybkts
Still think it's going to get worse generally rather than better over the next few years as more people make the switch. People who buy an EV, I think make a very informed decision of what they're getting into and appreciate that charging on the go whilst on a road trip is part and parcel of ownership. Charge points will have to increase HUGELY to cope with the demand over the coming years, I just hope this country is ready. I fear it won't be.
I think having an EV as a second car is the ideal scenario for me for now, but in my circumstances, a Tesla is one hell of an expensive 2nd car.
It's easier to charge now than it was when my Tesla was new two years ago, so much more capacity has opened in that time. Yes that could change if Tesla don't keep on top of adding new SuperChargers, but there is a lot of new coming at the moment.

This year is exceptional due to people not going abroad, you can tell because the service stations are packed, however it's only hitting Tesla's capacity here and there. At the start of August I went to Scotland and charged at Charnock, Abington, Dundee, Edinburgh, Washington, and Woodall and didn't queue or even share load anywhere. In fact it took so long to get KFC at Woodall I had to go back and move the car.

It'll be quite a few normal summers before we hit these levels again, and lots of new SuperChargers will open by then. The rest of the year it's trivial.

Charnock Richard yesterday afternoon was packed. 1 stall available when I landed at about 1PM, and about 10 in use when I left. THe screen popped up a note saying that the charging limit had been reduced to 80% (was set at 90%) to try and control usage. The charge limit could be changed manually, but I thought that it was a very clever touch that the system is aware of need.

Reactions: adsheff