Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paid for FSD but Tesla refuses to acknowledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may or may not be what's happening, but in the past, and only sometimes, Tesla has used "Full Self-Driving Capability" to indicate a car has the FSD hardware, but FSD is not yet enabled. But then sometimes it did. It's slimy used car sale tactics for sure, but just be prepared for that possibility. It's possible that it is currently enabled on your car (perhaps the previous owner paid for it), but Tesla removed it from their internal database system, but didn't actually disable it in the car. Like the others suggested, I would push forward with the sales and delivery associates with your bill of sale and see how far you can get. You can always file a complaint under binding arbitration (see your MVPA for details). Good luck!

I think were the issue is that it says "capability" and not FSD, that's a tricky thing Tesla does. It has the capability to have FSD but you have to pay for it.

They have called the paid feature “capability” since at least 2017. My MPVA says I paid $3000 for “Full Self Driving Capability”, and that is what My Tesla shows for my paid feature.

F41E15B7-1251-4D0E-BA80-62E83E618C2E.jpeg

Even today, when you buy new, you are paying for the capability.

When I purchased my used X a couple weeks ago, the FSD vagueness was my top concern. I verified with every source possible, from chat to phone to finally my actual used sales agent , before taking the plunge , that if a vehicle in the USED listing lists ANY feature, it will most certainly come with it fully added and enabled - especially FSD.

I'd like to add, the service center doesn't have the ability to interpret your sales contract. I've done A LOT of back and forth with various departments in regards to my debacles that I can advise you the best bet for you is to take it up with your Used Vehicle Sales Advisor. The first email you received after initiating purchase, should have been their contact info.

Last edited:
I asked the one sales guy that I have talked to for used and he verified that if it says "capability" that you have to pay for it. But if it says "Full Self Driving" it has it already.

I guess you need to ask before hitting the "buy" button.

I got my fsd upgrade installed today free

and my “congratulations “ email from when I first started the purchase process as seen in pic

Attachments

• C4F30D59-7293-4D6E-8669-E5B6E5B063DF.jpeg
    C4F30D59-7293-4D6E-8669-E5B6E5B063DF.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 767795A7-D158-4152-8C74-281510F2A34A.jpeg
    767795A7-D158-4152-8C74-281510F2A34A.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 52
  • 604826CC-7BB7-49A4-B1FA-79A040C70C8B.jpeg
    604826CC-7BB7-49A4-B1FA-79A040C70C8B.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Az_Rael
I asked the one sales guy that I have talked to for used and he verified that if it says "capability" that you have to pay for it. But if it says "Full Self Driving" it has it already.

I guess you need to ask before hitting the "buy" button.

That...is crazy. If I buy a brand new Model S today, the option I check and pay for is called “Full Self Driving Capability”. Why would that mean I do have the FSD option on a new car, but that means it doesn’t have the option on a used car?

Are there any used listings that say FSD and not FSD Capability?

Seriously guys, go over to the linked article in this thread, exact same situation, documentation and Tesla resolved it for him. In short, "Full Self Driving Capability" is the official term for FSD, for both new and used cars. Sales associate needs to open a ticket, escalate it, and it'll get fixed.

this ^^^^^^^

Confirmed it a few hours ago.

FSD Capability means you have it when its fully released at no extra charge.

*(UPDATED BELOW)* The images you sent do not indicate that your Model X had FSD. When purchasing a used Tesla from Tesla directly, Tesla has the legal right to remove any feature/ability that the vehicle may have previously been equipped with. Features such as but not limited to Full Self Driving package/Supercharging.

The best way to see what your car is equipped with is from the car directly.

When convenient, go into your car and tap the car icon on the bottom left. From there, Controls' > 'Software. That page will show you whether your not the vehicle has Full Self Driving. If it does, bring your vehicle to the service center and have them see for themselves.

*just saw the post that this was taken care of. Glad it is. Just a reminder, the best way to see what options are actually active is to check the car itself.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: njhtran
The images you sent do not indicate that your Model X had FSD. When purchasing a used Tesla from Tesla directly, Tesla has the legal right to remove any feature/ability that the vehicle may have previously been equipped with. Features such as but not limited to Full Self Driving package/Supercharging.

The best way to see what your car is equipped with is from the car directly.

When convenient, go into your car and tap the car icon on the bottom left. From there, Controls' > 'Software. That page will show you whether your not the vehicle has Full Self Driving. If it does, bring your vehicle to the service center and have them see for themselves.

False, on every account. The images the OP posted explicitly say "Full Self Driving Capability" which is what the FSD option is called. The legal purchase document is the *only* thing that matters, it doesn't matter what it says in the software in the car. In the OP's case (and at least a couple others), the car didn't match the legal purchase document and Tesla fixed it with very little effort.

False, on every account. The images the OP posted explicitly say "Full Self Driving Capability" which is what the FSD option is called. The legal purchase document is the *only* thing that matters, it doesn't matter what it says in the software in the car. In the OP's case (and at least a couple others), the car didn't match the legal purchase document and Tesla fixed it with very little effort.

100%

It still does not matter. Full Self Driving is non-transferable. The previous owner paid for it. The new owner did not. Tesla has the legal right to remove any and all features an owner did not pay for. There have been countless of stories and posts showing this. Tesla has removed Ludacris mode from vehicles days/months after because the current owner did not pay for it.

Tesla accused of abruptly pulling self-driving from a used Model S
Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice [Updated]
Tesla seems to be stripping software features when cars are resold

It still does not matter. Full Self Driving is non-transferable. The previous owner paid for it. The new owner did not. Tesla has the legal right to remove any and all features an owner did not pay for. There have been countless of stories and posts showing this. Tesla has removed Ludacris mode from vehicles days/months after because the current owner did not pay for it.

Tesla accused of abruptly pulling self-driving from a used Model S
Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice [Updated]
Tesla seems to be stripping software features when cars are resold

your missing the point.. it was on his legal contract which shows he paid for it.