Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paid for FSD, when will I get the software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else is in my boat. I figure a select few. We received delivery of our 2021 Model 3 with prepaid FSD on November 8, 2021, so well after FSD beta had been released. We keep hoping the software will one day show up but over a month later and nothing. Are we probably just out of luck until beta is complete? Asked around in other forums and the best responses I got were "probably on the next FSD update you'll get it." There have been at least 4 different updates since we received it. Again, just wondering if anyone else is in my boat. Or if anyone has received a new vehicle since beta was released and they got the software? (FTR I know how it works: first, receive the software update, second opt in, 3rd, drive 100 miles and achieve the threshold score, then receive beta access if granted by the Tesla gods--did I miss anything?)

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Wondering if anyone else is in my boat...

Like the above messages explained: First thing first.

What is your firmware version? Usually, the original factory version is not current and it takes a while for the second updated one. Since then, you've gotten 4 updates so it's unlikely because of the original factory version.

Please go to your autopilot menu and take a picture of it and show us what you have to see if it's consistent with your findings of "nothing".

You should have a button to request to enroll in the FSD beta program.

If you can't find that button, you can't get enrolled.

Once you find that button, you need to pass your Safety Score for at least 100 miles in 7 days.

Once you pass your Safety Score, it's up to Tesla to grant you the FSD beta or not.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
Upvote 0
My software version is 2021.35.102.1. Some one on twitter said that's factory settings. I'm guessing none of you are in my boat. Just wondering if ANYONE has gotten FSD software on a new vehicle since they first pushed beta.
If available it is under the Menu Controls: Autopilot. There will be a checkbox that says something like Request FSD Beta. You will have to agree with the terms and hit OK. Then you wait for the Safety Score calculator to show ups on your App.

Not to rain on your parade but the line is already pretty long with people who already have 99 and 100 scores waiting and wishing. No one knows for sure but looks like Tesla may have about as many testers as they want right now. Again pure speculation on my part.

Here is a thread to look at.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5TRX
Upvote 0
If available it is under the Menu Controls: Autopilot. There will be a checkbox that says something like Request FSD Beta. You will have to agree with the terms and hit OK. Then you wait for the Safety Score calculator to show ups on your App.

Not to rain on your parade but the line is already pretty long with people who already have 99 and 100 scores waiting and wishing. No one knows for sure but looks like Tesla may have about as many testers as they want right now. Again pure speculation on my part.
I'm really confused why I keep getting responses like this. I guess everyone just assumes I'm a complete moron who can't read. Of course there is no "Request FSD Beta" in my vehicle or why would I be posting what I did..? I'm not offended, everyone does it, but really, is what I am saying that ambiguous? Is there a particular reason no one believes me that we don't have the FSD software AT ALL...? I'm not saying I deserve and I demand it RIGHT NOW. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

• Disagree
Reactions: ContrarianDC
Upvote 0
My software version is 2021.35.102.1. Some one on twitter said that's factory settings. I'm guessing none of you are in my boat. Just wondering if ANYONE has gotten FSD software on a new vehicle since they first pushed beta.
I am in exactly the same situation as you. I picked up my M3 SR+ on Dec 2, with fully paid for FSD. My firmware is exactly the same as yours (2021.35.102.1) which is a factory firmware version. I have good WiFi where the car is garaged, but no updates so far. At some point, the firmware will update, then I’ll get the opt-in button, then I’ll have to get my safety score and then maybe I’ll get FSD beta. It’s crazy to me that I fork out $10k for FSD and no one from Tesla explained any of that. I had to learn it from reading this forum.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind you did NOT pay for nor were you promised FSD Beta. You bought the (piss poorly named) FSD Capability option package. Here is a list of what you and I paid for. I only stated the way you get into the Beta IF Tesla is accepting more people. If Tesla is NOT accepting more people I or anyone else have NO way of telling you how to apply. Remember you ONLY paid for the promise (for what it's worth since many have paid before that will never get it) of FUTURE Full Self Driving.

Unfortunately Tesla tends to "play policy by ear" much too often and make changes in an instant with 0 fore warning and little fore thought.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 6.56.19 PM.png

Upvote 0
I am in exactly the same situation as you. I picked up my M3 SR+ on Dec 2, with fully paid for FSD. My firmware is exactly the same as yours (2021.35.102.1) which is a factory firmware version. I have good WiFi where the car is garaged, but no updates so far. At some point, the firmware will update, then I’ll get the opt-in button, then I’ll have to get my safety score and then maybe I’ll get FSD beta. It’s crazy to me that I fork out $10k for FSD and no one from Tesla explained any of that. I had to learn it from reading this forum.
Hurrah! A common experience at last. I'm sorry you're in the same boat. My husband explained it pretty well when he said: We're buying the PROMISE of FSD. We didn't know beta would roll out after we placed our order and before delivery. We thought that was a bonus. Now we're just frustrated. =/

Upvote 0
Hurrah! A common experience at last. I'm sorry you're in the same boat. My husband explained it pretty well when he said: We're buying the PROMISE of FSD. We didn't know beta would roll out after we placed our order and before delivery. We thought that was a bonus. Now we're just frustrated. =/
I’m happy to wait. More time to get used to auto-steer and highway NOA, anti-nag steering technique and all the rest. Also means when I do get access either to beta or wide release the system should be more mature, less glitchy and more capable. The main disappointment for me was woefully inadequate and even downright misleading information from the Tesla showroom people.

Upvote 0
In case any of my above posts were ambiguous or unclear: I DO NOT, do not, DO NOT have FSD Beta software at all anywhere. Only Autopilot.

That is clear. That's why you are here. We understood that. What we don't understand is why you don't have the FSD.

Please continue to give us some additional facts to diagnose the problem.

It seems that the statement "There have been at least 4 different updates since we received it." is not clear enough.

I assume that you have gotten 4 specific updates because there've been numerous 26 updates for the general public and not just your mentioned 4 since November:

Now, that you mentioned that your car is still at 2021.35.102.1 which means clearly you have not gotten any additional updates at all. That information needs to be mentioned in the first post so we don't have to decipher what you mean.

So now, the issue is why you still don't have any updates since November. You cannot get to other steps unless you have done the following 2 steps:

1) As @Bouba mentioned: Please connect your car to a good source of Wifi.

2) Please change your "Software Update Preference" to "Advanced" and not "Standard"

For now, if you have done those 2 steps and your firmware is still stuck at 2021.35.102.1 after the next few days or 1 week, there's nothing else that you can do except to call Service Center to push you a current firmware.

And by the way, we still have not received the picture of your Autopilot menu to help to diagnose the concern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In case any of my above posts were ambiguous or unclear: I DO NOT, do not, DO NOT have FSD Beta software at all anywhere. Only Autopilot.
So, first things first (and again, no-one here is talking down to you, least of all me, just trying to help). As you note, you have paid for FSD, but you might want to check that your car has indeed been configured correctly by Tesla (mistakes happen) and does have the FSD upgrade. On the phone app, go into "Upgrades > Manage > Active" and make sure "Full Self-Driving Capability" shows up. You can also double-check in the car on the Service screen (I'm not in car right now so doing this from memory .. someone can correct me if its a different screen). If the car doesnt think you have paid for FSD then you wont get the enroll option (and you should talk to Tesla so they fix that, since you've paid for it).

Assuming you do see the FSD option, you should also see stuff like "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)" toggle in the Autopilot screen. This is from an older preview available to all FSD purchasers (no sign-up button or road test needed).

If all the above looks correct, then you should, at some point, get a sign-up button appear right at the top of the Autopilot screen. As others have noted, this wont turn up until you get a newer software update pushed to the car, so you may have to wait for a bit. As others have also noted, the wait-list is also quite long, so even after the button appears you may have to wait.

Upvote 0