Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paid for FSD, when will I get the software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else is in my boat. I figure a select few. We received delivery of our 2021 Model 3 with prepaid FSD on November 8, 2021, so well after FSD beta had been released. We keep hoping the software will one day show up but over a month later and nothing. Are we probably just out of luck until beta is complete? Asked around in other forums and the best responses I got were "probably on the next FSD update you'll get it." There have been at least 4 different updates since we received it. Again, just wondering if anyone else is in my boat. Or if anyone has received a new vehicle since beta was released and they got the software? (FTR I know how it works: first, receive the software update, second opt in, 3rd, drive 100 miles and achieve the threshold score, then receive beta access if granted by the Tesla gods--did I miss anything?)

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Just wondering if ANYONE has gotten FSD software on a new vehicle since they first pushed beta.

Yes, but not until the car is off factory firmware and onto the main branch.

My software version is 2021.35.102.1. Some one on twitter said that's factory settings. I'm guessing none of you are in my boat.

Eventually you'll get pushed off of 2021.35.102.1 to 2021.40+, and at that point, because you have the FSD package you will gain the ability to request the FSD Beta in the Autopilot settings in the car menu.

Then you can begin jumping through the hoops.

Upvote 0
I also think a key point that almost everyone is somewhat missing here, is that it takes a fairly long time to graduate from the initial break-in firmware and begin receiving "normal" over-the-air updates. I wrote something very similar to this just a day or two ago in another thread. I took delivery for days before you did and I am still on 2021.35.102. My friend took delivery of a model 3 about 3 weeks prior to that and he also is still on 2021.35.102.

You are getting implications here that there may be something wrong, you may not have a good Wi-Fi connection, or that you may need to go back to Tesla Service to get them to "push" an update. I don't believe that any of this is true; I believe that you simply will need to wait like pretty much everyone else who has received delivery of a new Tesla this fall.

How long do we have to wait? That I don't know. It seems there may have been times in the past when break-in firmware was superseded relatively quickly, but that is not happening these days. I have read some speculation that the process could be taking longer because Tesla is in a mode of scrambling to keep deliveries moving along in the face of the chip shortages. Elan explained earlier in the year that Tesla has been able to keep production moving because they have an unusually high level of software programming talent on staff, and they are able to adapt modules to use different but available microcontrollers to replace unavailable ones. However, it would logically follow that cars with those redesigned modules must have different sub-versions of the firmware. So in 2021, we are seeing a proliferation of different software suites to support the changing hardware configurations. Obviously the highest priority is to get the software in place for delivery of cars, but then the follow-up is that production firmware releases have to be coded with all the correct look-up tables, to match each VIN batch with the appropriate, recently-developed sub-version that has all the correct firmwhere pieces to match the hardware build. This makes the management of production firmware more complicated than it should have been, and I'd guess it's a somewhat lower priority to get production firmware to fully support the newest cars - as they represent a moving target regarding sub-version configurations. If Tesla gets this wrong, then a new update push to those newer cars could exhibit at best a few strange bugs, and at worst a non-drivable or even a damaged car.

So I look every couple of days and I'd love to see one of the newer versions come out for my car, but I'm not holding my breath.

As another point of clarification, you did not pay for FSD beta in particular. "FSD beta" is the testing version of the feature Autosteer on City Streets, the feature listed as Coming Soon but not available today. You and I have in fact received the features that are listed under "Full Self-Driving Capability". As others have said, when you do start to receive the firmware updates that other owners get, then you can expect to see the opt-in request button and begin the journey of achieving the safety score, being admitted into the beta program and even then, seeing if you are one of the first or or one of the last to get any particular new release of the FSD beta.

Sorry to be so long with his explanation, but I felt you were getting encouragement to believe that there is something wrong with your particular firmware update process, and I feel strongly this is not the case. I'm not trying to defendTesla or castigate anyone else, just trying to explain what you are seeing with your car and what expectations are realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am daily getting a phantom warning of an impending collision which ruins my daily safety score, despite the fact that there was no threat, no danger, no impending collision. The car just imagines it which then ruins my safety score. How do I get around tis problem to improve my score up to qualify for the beta version of the FSD? Do I drive 1 mile a day on FSD and then turn it off, and repeat that for 7 days to get a 100% score? But then when I have the FSD be constantly faulted with more imagined dangers, being a constant frustration and continually disabling my FSD?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
I am daily getting a phantom warning of an impending collision which ruins my daily safety score, despite the fact that there was no threat, no danger, no impending collision. The car just imagines it which then ruins my safety score. How do I get around tis problem to improve my score up to qualify for the beta version of the FSD? Do I drive 1 mile a day on FSD and then turn it off, and repeat that for 7 days to get a 100% score? But then when I have the FSD be constantly faulted with more imagined dangers, being a constant frustration and continually disabling my FSD?
If you use auto-steer, then forward collision warnings that occur during auto-steer (or 3 seconds after disengagement iirc) don’t count towards your safety score. Depending on your situation it might help reduce the impact by using auto-steer more often.

Upvote 0
Thank you, but I use auto-steer as much as possible. The problem is that during auto-steer is when the phantom threats are imagined by my Plaid S. And when I check my daily score and the events that caused the daily score faults, I notice that yes the phantom alert is what caused my daily score to be degraded.

Upvote 0
Thank you, but I use auto-steer as much as possible. The problem is that during auto-steer is when the phantom threats are imagined by my Plaid S. And when I check my daily score and the events that caused the daily score faults, I notice that yes the phantom alert is what caused my daily score to be degraded.
According to Tesla it shouldn’t be included in your score, but I don’t personally have FSD beta or a safety score so I can’t say from experience. I do frequently get phantom FCWs, especially when using auto-steer, so if that will affect my safety score in future then it’s concerning.

Upvote 0
If something bad happens on a drive just do a double scroll reboot, the computer will lose the drive data prior to the reboot. (This must be done before putting it in park) Also keep in mind you will lose the data for those miles from when you started the drive to the reboot. As far as I know they have not done anything to stop this from working.

Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone else is in my boat. I figure a select few. We received delivery of our 2021 Model 3 with prepaid FSD on November 8, 2021, so well after FSD beta had been released...
These are two different things.
  1. You bought Full Self Driving. It has been promised since 2016. We have no idea when it will be released.
  2. There are people testing what was called City Streets Beta. You did not buy a spot in Tesla Beta Testing. Only one person has.

Reactions: Cal1 and Matias
Upvote 0
Yes JulienW you said it exactly right, we don't have the guarantee of getting it. But we should expect to receive the software when beta is complete and they release it worldwide.... right??
Yes. You will get the software, when it is ready and released. No one knows what year it will be.

2016 Musk said, that it is solved problem. Later he has said, that it is difficult.

There are people who bought it 2016, when it was just pending for regulatory approval.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you ALL for your replies. Just to quickly respond to the "there have been 4 different updates since FSD was released"--I mean for others who have FSD beta. I follow it on twitter and see people talking about the latest FSD beta updates.

IN OTHER NEWS: We got our FIRST software update since we got our car and NOW WE HAVE ACCESS!! We have the chance to opt in!!! @rob1987 did you get the same update?!

I'm very nervous to opt in. I'm not saying I'm not a safe driver, but the Tesla is just too fun to accelerate quickly in etc. I am probably a more aggressive driver but I would not say I am unsafe. Appreciate any tips for keeping my potential score high. What IS the current threshold for being considered to receive the beta? Does it only track data during use of Autopilot or ALL driving?

Reactions: K5TRX
Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone else is in my boat. I figure a select few. We received delivery of our 2021 Model 3 with prepaid FSD on November 8, 2021, so well after FSD beta had been released. We keep hoping the software will one day show up but over a month later and nothing. Are we probably just out of luck until beta is complete? Asked around in other forums and the best responses I got were "probably on the next FSD update you'll get it." There have been at least 4 different updates since we received it. Again, just wondering if anyone else is in my boat. Or if anyone has received a new vehicle since beta was released and they got the software? (FTR I know how it works: first, receive the software update, second opt in, 3rd, drive 100 miles and achieve the threshold score, then receive beta access if granted by the Tesla gods--did I miss anything?)
People have been waiting 5 years for FSD.....

Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
Thank you ALL for your replies. Just to quickly respond to the "there have been 4 different updates since FSD was released"--I mean for others who have FSD beta. I follow it on twitter and see people talking about the latest FSD beta updates.

IN OTHER NEWS: We got our FIRST software update since we got our car and NOW WE HAVE ACCESS!! We have the chance to opt in!!! @rob1987 did you get the same update?!

I'm very nervous to opt in. I'm not saying I'm not a safe driver, but the Tesla is just too fun to accelerate quickly in etc. I am probably a more aggressive driver but I would not say I am unsafe. Appreciate any tips for keeping my potential score high. What IS the current threshold for being considered to receive the beta? Does it only track data during use of Autopilot or ALL driving?
Looks like we’re on the same update schedule. Did you also get 2021.44.6? I opted in, with the understanding that it could be a long time before I actually see any FSD beta download, if ever. I drive pretty chill anyway, especially if my wife is in the car.

Reactions: K5TRX and Icelyn
Upvote 0
...just too fun to accelerate quickly in etc...
Safety Score does not penalize you for drag racing with high acceleration rate on a straight path. However, it does watch how you slow down. It will penalize you for hard braking.
What IS the current threshold for being considered to receive the beta?
Currently, 100, 99, 98
Does it only track data during use of Autopilot or ALL driving?
Yes. All driving. With or without Autopilot. You are not penalized on Autopilot while it makes its own mistakes such as "hard braking", agreesive turns...

If you are not on Autopilot then of course it penalizes you for hard braking, agreesive turns...

Reactions: Icelyn
Upvote 0
it's tracking YOU as a driver, so ignores stuff when AP/NoA is engaged. There are a lot of other threads here about getting a high score, but basically you want to be a "nanny" driver .. slow braking, slow turns, slow acceleration. You will dinged for a single fast stop (there are ways to recover from this, go check the threads). The threshold has gradually gone down, but I think Tesla limit based on number of beta testers, so the higher your score the more chance of getting in.

Remember, this is true BETA software .. you have to treat the car on FSD as it is were a teenager going out on its first drive. In general, you will find you need to pay MUCH more attention with the car driving than when you are driving manually. The car WILL do stupid things, when you least expect it .. and you have to be ready to take over in an instant.

Reactions: K5TRX and Icelyn
Upvote 0
Like the above messages explained: First thing first.

What is your firmware version? Usually, the original factory version is not current and it takes a while for the second updated one. Since then, you've gotten 4 updates so it's unlikely because of the original factory version.

Please go to your autopilot menu and take a picture of it and show us what you have to see if it's consistent with your findings of "nothing".

You should have a button to request to enroll in the FSD beta program.

If you can't find that button, you can't get enrolled.

Once you find that button, you need to pass your Safety Score for at least 100 miles in 7 days.

Once you pass your Safety Score, it's up to Tesla to grant you the FSD beta or not.
Is 99 or 100 required to get into the Beta? I have read a lot that 99 is sufficient?

Upvote 0
Is 99 or 100 required to get into the Beta? I have read a lot that 99 is sufficient?
Tesla makes the rule and we only know when it tells us what they are doing.

It started by announcing score of 100 would get the beta.

Then it said it would add to those who got 99 score too.

Then it said it would add those with 98 score too.

So far, the only 100 and 99 scores have got the beta. I am not sure about 98 score people just yet.

Reactions: Icelyn
Upvote 0