Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painfully crowded and slow charging on I5 between LA and SF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that is Oregon at the Springfield / Holiday inn

you could almost charge from the back side parking lot. those would have been nicer spots to have for Tesla vs the inn parking lot. not sure what the business is but it was always empty when I stopped there

Correct. The back lot is the Courtyard, which is where we stayed. Much more open lot. Oh well.

not a Tesla owner yet but I have a couple of comments. First, having superchargers on 99 would be great, there is another half of the state where people live that isn't LA and SF. I live in the foothills east of the Central Valley so 99 is much more convenient.

As for the chargers getting Ice'd, why does Tesla not partner with local towing companies and have the number right on the supercharger? This would provide consistent business to the towing company and it wouldn't take long before the word got around not to park in charging stalls. Combine this with Tesla owners having no concern for other Tesla owners and my little faith in humanity is decreasing by the day. It's the same thing as Gas stations, people fill up their car then walk into the store knowing you are sitting there waiting rather than pulling their car out of the way first.

Will Tesla build SCs on 99? Yes.
Will Tesla build more SCs on I-5? Yes.
Will Tesla increase the number of SC stalls at existing, popular spots? Yes.

What can we do to the help solve the problem? Instead of being consumer bystanders, I bet many of you have talents and connections we can use. Do you know property owners/commercial property managers in key spots that could be good for SCs? Are you a good natural conversationalist who can convince people as you take a road trip to install an SC at their mall or restaurant (or HPWCs at a hotel)? Do you have connections that would help speed the permitting process for a Tesla SC? Or maybe the next time a Tesla SC is on the docket in your city/county, you have the time to show up and support it via public comment?

If you're willing to do any of those, suggest that you can help here: Tesla Supercharger Suggestion Form. It's not just up to Tesla. The grassroots ownership base is vastly powerful. You are that base.

- K

not a Tesla owner yet but I have a couple of comments. First, having superchargers on 99 would be great, there is another half of the state where people live that isn't LA and SF. I live in the foothills east of the Central Valley so 99 is much more convenient.

As for the chargers getting Ice'd, why does Tesla not partner with local towing companies and have the number right on the supercharger? This would provide consistent business to the towing company and it wouldn't take long before the word got around not to park in charging stalls. Combine this with Tesla owners having no concern for other Tesla owners and my little faith in humanity is decreasing by the day. It's the same thing as Gas stations, people fill up their car then walk into the store knowing you are sitting there waiting rather than pulling their car out of the way first.

Tesla leases (or subleases) the parking spots for their Superchargers. (Exceptions would be where they own the property themselves like at Fremont and perhaps a handful of service centers.) Accordingly, if I understand these things correctly, towing is really up to the property owner in most cases. In California there are situations when vehicles can be towed but those generally relate to a lengthy stay (48 or 72 hours) or are a hazard. There is a vehicle code section concerning citing cars parked in EV charging places. However, there are signage and other requirements. The businesses where Superchargers are located really do not want any conflict with people who ICE charging spots. It is easier for a security person who spots a perpetrator to ask politely to move their car, but is probably under strict instructions not to call a tow truck unless the car is there a day or two.

Tesla erects signage at their Superchargers, but the wording varies. Sometimes the sign says, "Reserved for Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking." Other signs read, "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking/30 minute general parking." Yet others read, "60-minute general parking 9AM-5PM," or such. Many sites have combinations of signs.

I agree the whole situation is confusing and frustrating. Perhaps once the population of EVs gets larger, businesses, legislatures and law enforcement will start to take this situation seriously. I cannot recall how long it took the public to avoid handicap parking places when that legislation first came out. But it will take some time. And a hefty fine with towing.

No, I don't, Khatsalano. But I would hazard a guess that these are more along a lease-type arrangement rather than an easement. (I am not a lawyer!) There have been anecdotes over the months that many locations fall through because of zoning laws or unreasonable demands from the landlords. I concede that these situations are not conclusive evidence. But to me, generally, an easement essentially grants unfettered right and use of a piece of real estate for the purposes of entry and/or access for a lengthy period of time. Utilities and governments have easements to access and work on their equipment or infrastructure when it is necessary. Private property owners grant easements to the public for access to a parcel of land that has no direct access to the road or highway or for mutual purposes. I guess further that private easements generally involve little if any consideration other than to facilitate a common interest between two parties, like selling a landlocked parcel of real estate with no road access.

I would think that property owners would want consideration for the appropriation of several parking spots with the attendant charger cabinets.

I have started a new thread about a Buttonwillow Supercharger in the California Supercharger subforum.
Please post in that thread when an exact location is confirmed.
Of course it's such a small town that all you have to do is exit the freeway and glance around and you will likely see it when it's in place. [emoji6]

I may have the opportunity to experience these painfully crowded Sunday conditions. Is this still on-going or was this mostly a summer travel season phenomena? I was planning to leave SF around 8am which will likely place me at Gilroy mid-morning, Harris around lunch, and Tejon mid-afternoon. All busy times. What other options are there? Will leaving an hour earlier make the difference? Since I'm from WA, all routes and SC's will be way more crowded than I'm used to. With long waits on I-5, does it make more sense to drive 101 through Atascadero, Buellton, and Oxnard? It's still an all day drive either way but certainly a couple hours longer on 101.

I may have the opportunity to experience these painfully crowded Sunday conditions. Is this still on-going or was this mostly a summer travel season phenomena? I was planning to leave SF around 8am which will likely place me at Gilroy mid-morning, Harris around lunch, and Tejon mid-afternoon. All busy times. What other options are there? Will leaving an hour earlier make the difference? Since I'm from WA, all routes and SC's will be way more crowded than I'm used to. With long waits on I-5, does it make more sense to drive 101 through Atascadero, Buellton, and Oxnard? It's still an all day drive either way but certainly a couple hours longer on 101.

i would take the coast, it's not that much longer of a drive, much better looking drive and living right by the Buelton Charger, I have never seen it full, I was by Atascadero many times this weekend and there we only once I say more than half of the stalls full. Have a great drive.

With long waits on I-5, does it make more sense to drive 101 through Atascadero, Buellton, and Oxnard? It's still an all day drive either way but certainly a couple hours longer on 101.

I think either way is fine, depends on how quickly you'd like to get there. My guess is that you'll arrive sooner if you take the 5. The extra time spent on 101 will be unlikely to exceed the time spent possibly waiting at Tejon and Harris. But there's no question that the 101 drive is a nicer and more pleasant drive, especially as you come out of Buellton and head over to Santa Barbara.

Either way, let us know how it looks if you hit the 5.