Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint and body damage from the factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So two days ago I had my mobile car wash guy come and wash our cars including the first car wash with the new MY we bought. He said he found some issues and asked me to come outside so he can show me. He said there were a few 'waves' in the sheet metal of the hood and two polishing 'burn' spots in one of the doors where the factory person who buffed the paint went too hard and burned all the way through the clear coat.

So he pointed out three 'depressions' in the hood about 1/4 of the way down the hood from the top (windshield side). They were slight (not deep at all, but were very wide) and would be easily missed if you don't know to look there but once you see it, it is very apparent and you cannot un-see it anymore. He said he has seen a few Model Y's he has washed with this issue already.

He then took me to the drivers door and pointed out two areas about the size of a quarter each which were not a shiny as the rest of the door. He said that the person at the factory that buffed the paint burned through the clear coat and the bare paint is exposed and that is why it is not as shiny. Again, to my untrained eyes, I did not see it at delivery (car was in the shade as well) but now that I have seen it, I cannot un-see it.

I have set up a Tesla service appointment and the mobile guy is coming tomorrow. Wonder what will happen since I already have 700 miles on my car. Wonder if they will admit these factory defects have been seen in the past or if they will blame me.
Again, this was the car's first wash and there was no waxing or buffing done. It was a straight wash and dry only so there is no way we or the detailer did it. The detailer has been washing my cars (and neighbors) for over a decade and also has a client list including very wealthy people with super/hyper cars and very rare dream cars he details.

I doubt Tesla will offer to repair or repaint the vehicle after 700 miles. I would just apply a good quality polish or wax and move on. No one else, except perhaps a car detailer, will ever notice.
Yea that is what I was assuming from Tesla.

So really strange thing I saw today. The waves in the hood are GONE!!! I am wondering if it is an engineering or manufacturing issue behind the hood waves. I saw the waves in the hood when the sun was out and it was a relatively hot day. Today when it is overcast and cool, the waves are gone. Is it possible the metal/material the hood is made from heats up and expands just enough to cause very slight waves and when it cools down, the metal/material shrinks to remove the slack in the hood?

I had a dull area on the hood of my Chevrolet Volt about the size of a silver dollar. This was only visible under artificial light, could not be seen in direct or indirect sunlight. (The hood of the Volt, as in the Model Y, was also made of aluminum but it may just be a coincidence.)

It was warm and sunny yesterday and guess what..... the waves in the hood are back.... This morning, nice and cool and the hood is straight and no waves.
Wonder if it is just my hood or if others are seeing the same thing. I tried taking pictures but I have not been able to get it to show up well. Like I said, the waves are slight but noticeable when you know where they are. Maybe using artificial light will bring it out. I will try that later.

I'm in the same boat with paint issues and I'm kicking myself for not initially reporting it when I picked up the car. I guess I was too excited and thought it wasn't a really big deal but now that I washed it once I can really see a buffing trail which I assume was done by Tesla when they prepped the car? I did mention it to a Tesla rep when I scheduled a service appointment for other minor issues and they added to my list of items and I'm hoping they address it at no cost to me. It's on the rear quarter panel close to the charge port and you can see this hologram effect which bugs so me much especially on a black car. Probably hard to tell in the photo but that's only a little of the issue and is more apparent above the wheel area.

Attachments

• PXL_20210419_200424759.jpg
    PXL_20210419_200424759.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 136