Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Armor in central Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all of my fellow Floridians. As I anxiously await the arrival of my beautiful blue new model S, I would like to prepare to protect it the best I can. I decided not to get the paint armor offered by Tesla because of concerns about full coverage. Does anyone have any insight on a quality dealer/installer for aftermarket paint armor in the central Florida area?

Hello all of my fellow Floridians. As I anxiously await the arrival of my beautiful blue new model S, I would like to prepare to protect it the best I can. I decided not to get the paint armor offered by Tesla because of concerns about full coverage. Does anyone have any insight on a quality dealer/installer for aftermarket paint armor in the central Florida area?
Hi there. What do you mean about "full-coverage" concern? I'm curious. I too await my Model S and did not opt for paint armor. My current vehicle (an Audi) had Simoniz paint protection provided by the dealer as an option. I'm not sure which type Tesla uses, but it did seem to keep the finish nice. The car is nearly 3 years old and the paint still looks mint. The car has been garaged a lot however.

Hi there. What do you mean about "full-coverage" concern?

I think most of these comments are referring to the fact that only the front half of the hood is covered with the film. There is a line across the hood, and the top portion is just bare paint. There are a couple of other places where people have wanted film that is not in the Tesla package also, so this may also be part of the 'full-coverage'. But mostly it is that only half of the hood is covered.

I ordered paint armor and it was on my due bill. When they installed it at the Dania service center, they gave me the option to have the installer do the complete hood for an extra few hundred dollars, which I gladly accepted. I didn't want that line on the hood, and given all of the road debris flying around down here on the highways, I'm happy to have the whole hood protected.

You may be able to negotiate something similar up where you are.

I think most of these comments are referring to the fact that only the front half of the hood is covered with the film. There is a line across the hood, and the top portion is just bare paint. There are a couple of other places where people have wanted film that is not in the Tesla package also, so this may also be part of the 'full-coverage'. But mostly it is that only half of the hood is covered.
Ah ha, now it makes sense. I did not realize it was ony a "bra" type coverage. I'm not sure I would like that - especially the "line" accross the hood. The Simoniz coating on my current car does seem to hold up pretty well - they also did the leather interior with a protecive coating - I think it was Scotch Guard.

Nigel, you've seen my car - it is never dirty (not for Nature's want for trying:cursing:) My son commented that when we took it to Dania Beach for its yearly, it was the cleanest car there - even after driving 180 miles!

The paint armor edges are a pain, though... how do you get your edges clean?

Does anyone know when the Tampa service center will be opening? Unfortunately, I would have to drive to Dania to do what Arnold Panz was able to do. In addition to the full coverage of the hood, my understanding is that the edges are not wrapped when Tesla installs which may lead to the "dirty edge" problem Jordan was referring to. That is largely why I had hoped to find a reputable installer to do it .

The paint armor edges are a pain, though... how do you get your edges clean?

Wash & Wax Detailer spray with a microfiber cloth in the trunk and a quick spray and wipe when I notice dirt, bird poop etc. Right now I'm using Armor All (which has a yellow car on the bottle!).

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know when the Tampa service center will be opening?

Tampa SC info here: Tesla-in-Tampa

Is the paint armor normally a factory installed item or is it done locally at service center? Wasn't sure if you were somehow missing the paint armor after purchasing it and that is why it was done at Dania or if all of them come "naked" and get it done by local installers. I would very much prefer to pay a few hundred extra bucks to get the complete hood done if it just needs to be arranged locally.

My current car has paint armor that unfortunately I should've removed a couple years ago. It's parked outside at all times and now the armor is so sun damaged / dry rotted that it's almost impossible to remove. Plus with all the lovebug stains it really looks like garbage. That said, if I still had to commute over the Howard Franklin bridge, I'd do it over again. It's like a road debris shooting gallery up there.

I am thinking of having paint armor installed her in Orlando after I receive my car, but not having any experience with paint armor, I have a few questions:

1. I saw a 10+ year Lexus driving the other day with a badly damaged (finish) hood that seemed to be delineated in the same area as paint armor would have been. Is this what I could expect over time in the Florida sun?

2. Should paint armor be removed after a couple of years and re-applied to avoid paint damage?

3. My expectation is that I should be able to remove the paint armor after 5 years or so and the paint/finish look like it just came off the factory floor. Is this unrealistic?

Hi Jon,

You might want to discuss your options with Mark, Tesla's Tampa service manager. It is possible that he can arrange to have it installed at the service center. I briefly discussed with him the feasibility of replacing the small section of paint amor on the hood with a full hood treatment. My reasoning was to provide more protection and to eliminate that visible seam on the hood. Although Mark can probably arrange to have this done, personally he is not a big proponent of paint armor. He points out that it can distort the smooth paint finish.

I haven't reached a firm conclusion. Obviously I would first have to know how much such a treatment would cost. I'm in no rush now, but I might change my mind when lovebug season arrives.:wink:

Larry

Can you tell me who you spoke to at the Dania Beach store?

I appreciate the fact that you were able to get this done, but the people at Dania Beach seem to be clueless when it comes to this. I would love to get a contact name if you have it. It has been quite frustrating to work with the folks there thus far. Thanks for your help!

I appreciate the fact that you were able to get this done, but the people at Dania Beach seem to be clueless when it comes to this. I would love to get a contact name if you have it. It has been quite frustrating to work with the folks there thus far. Thanks for your help!

Hi Ed,

Its not clear to whom your question is directed.

Might I suggest that you send a private message to Arnold Panz. In posting #4 he mentioned speaking to someone with Dania Beach regarding paint amor.

Larry

I am requoting the OP because the last question is still unanswered: Does anybody know of a paint armor dealer/installer in Central Florida, say Orlando, for example?