TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paint Armor - not worth it

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by LazyBear, May 1, 2013.

1. LazyBear

LazyBear Member

Apparently paint armor option offered at $995 does not protect lights. And if you want to upgrade, local installers count Tesla option as only $300 (that's how much Tesla pays them to install paint armor option). I was apparently lucky that paint armor was not installed at the factory and instead I was forwarded to a local installer. I chose to get a refund (yes Tesla does it - thanks) and instead spend money on something better.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Kinda wishing I had done the same.

I would have liked the whole hood wrapped to avoid the "line" half way up, and because the first stone ding I got happened about 6" past where the Tesla armor ends!

I also have the armor starting to bubble and peel off the front fascia. I'm sure Tesla will make good and have it fixed.

3. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

Yes, I will say aftermarket is the way to go. Got the full hood, fenders, lights, nose cone, air dam, a strip on the back (just below the license plate), and the kick panels below/behind the rear doors done for 1300. even got a rental for the day the car was in the shop so I could get to/from the shop and have a car.

4. desiguy

desiguy Member

Where did u get it done and what material was used? I see aftermarket folks quoting $2k for full front (including fenders) using expel ultimate in bay area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. dbullard

dbullard Member

I've already got two small dings past where the armor would be - nothing before that.

Anybody know of a good place in the Portland area that can wrap a hood and front quarter panels?

6. LazyBear

LazyBear Member

2K Xpel film full hood, fenders, lights, door edges and rear bumper. Since Tesla refunding me $995 its fine.

7. DEinspanjer

DEinspanjer Member

I have three different chips on the hood, all on the edge before the armor starts. another on a mirror edge, and two on the doors... you guessed it, right on the edge before the armor. I guess I just have to be very unlucky but man, I wish the armor wrapped around the edge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

My aftermarket quotes were around 5k so I'd say that isn't worth it either!

9. imherkimer

imherkimer Member