TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint armor now being factory applied regularly

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Sousaphil, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

My vehicle was delivered yesterday (Picassa web album). Much to my surprise and pleasure, the paint armor was already on it.
    I spoke with Chris, my DS, and he said that the factory had some issues initially, but those are all cleared up.

Great news for all of you expecting delivery with paint armor soon.

2. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

3. bob_p

bob_p Member

I've had my Silver P85 for two weeks. Everyone who has seen the car has commented on how beautiful it looks - with one exception - they've consistently asked about the thin line on the front hood for the paint armor.

Tesla should offer an option for full hood armor - and eliminate the line. It's the only major flaw I see in the car's design right now. If it cost another $500 to cover the entire hood, it would be worth it on a $100K P85...

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I talked with the guys installing mine last week, and Tesla seems uninterested, and until a pattern is made, it would seem the starshield people are as well.

Good news on it being installed from the factory. By the time I got mine on, there were already nicks all over the front. Barn door. Horse.

5. UMD86

UMD86 Member

I think Tesla has it right. Me personally......the most important part of coverage is the front 3rd of the hood. That area gets hit the hardest with sand, salt, pebbles and gravel. I don't see the need to cover the whole hood.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

My R8 is partially covered... Guess where rocks bounce after they hit the front part of the hood? That's right, the rest of the hood. There's also the issue of the "line", that, according to starshield is worse because of the type of film Tesla decided to go with (Avery vs 3M). He said the line becomes more pronounced because of it.

7. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

Yes, that's the coverage I have.
    The biggest reason why I'd want full hood coverage is the line is pretty evident on the white car. Perhaps when I hand wash it, it will look less obvious.

8. UMD86

UMD86 Member

Tesla warned that the paint armor will be more visible on a light colored car.

9. Sousaphil

Sousaphil P2,595

They didn't have that warning when I finalized my order.

10. bob_p

bob_p Member

It's visible on my silver - will probably try to get full hood armor added. Tesla really needs to add full hood coverage as an option, and provide current customers an upgrade path.

11. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Are you saying that people who did not order it are getting it anyway?
    I'll find out in a couple of hours!

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

My paint armor was not applied at the factory, but I was given the option for full hood coverage with installation at the service center. For an extra $550, that is...

The front quarter panels are not covered at all.