TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint Armor on high mileage cars?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MartinAustin, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

For folks who purchased the Paint Armor option, and done pretty big miles on the car (admittedly, average miles in a regular car bought in Sept 2012 might be about 14,000 by now) -

How is the Paint Armor holding up? Is it a worthwhile option? I am considering it, but I want a white car, and the half-way line across the hood is supposedly noticeable, which makes it a no-go for me.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks -MA

2. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

1) Don't get it if you get a white car. It looks awful.

2) Don't get it through Tesla. It's cheaper/better to have an aftermarket shop do it for you :(

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Since they didnt do mine at the factory I had some nicks before it went on. Mine is peeling in several places and getting dirt under it, I honestly can't recommend it, go aftermarket.

*edit* I was able to go back, pay more, and get full hood though. That looks pretty good.

4. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

It is definitely worth getting some protection. It saved me from some major scrapes on my bumper when I rubbed up against a post. I couldn't believe it but the paint underneath was still perfect. I bought it from Tesla but had someone redo my hood with a full wrap because I didn't like the line. If you do the aftermarket route, don't wait too long.

5. caddieo

caddieo Member

#5 caddieo, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    I fully agree. Do it while your paint is still in good shape. I had the factory armor then did an aftermarket full hood.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have about 10,000 miles now.

The paint armor was bubbling on the lower fascia from the start, but I never had time to take it back for that. I will mention it at my first service interval. I wish I had not got it through Tesla and had it done aftermarket. I would have had the whole hood done. I have 6 or 7 scratches right down to the metal on the hood beyond where the paint protection extends. I'm getting good use of the touch-up paint I bought from Tesla.:crying:

7. bob_p

bob_p Member

I've had my silver P85 with the Tesla protection for 6 months and just hit 12,500 miles - and so far no problems. The film seam is visible close up on the hood - and something people mentioned when the saw my car when it was first delivered in January - but after having it for six months - the seam really hasn't been a problem. Just wish they had a film for the windshield (which did pick up some nicks).

8. AC1K

AC1K Member

if you spend $100K on a car, it would be in your best interest to wrap the entire car, its a large investment, i dont think you are going to be buying a new one every 2 years.

since this car is so awesome i plan on running it until the end of the battery warranty (long freaking time) so i wrapped mine with Xpel Ultimate, $3500 is a small price to pay for perfect looking paint

9. jed-99aggie

jed-99aggie Member

I'm on the side as others posted above. Have 10,500 miles on the car over 9 months. I went with aftermarket Xpel Ultimate with full hood protection and fully recommend it. Installation was quality and no issues like stated like the Tesla sourced film. There really is a difference in film quality.

I recently met up with another owner who had a new (<1 month old) brown MSP+ with the Tesla film. He showed me a tear size of a dime in the film already present on his lower front bumper. It did penetrate through the film and damage the paint underneath. Don't know the size of the rock that caused the damage, but the film was not as durable as the Xpel product.

10. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

If I could do it again, I would go after market with a full hood, and seams tucked. The templates Tesla uses make the edges very noticeable, even on my silver. The lower fascia seam started peeling after 20 days with dirt underneath. Tesla did replace that panel.

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

16k miles, black Model S with full Xpel wrap.. Couldn't be happier. No nicks. Nothing after all those miles. Friend has same car, less miles, no wrap... Lots of micro-paint damage up front .. He totally regrets not wrapping the car. Go aftermarket for sure, and get it wrapped!

12. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

28k miles. Factory armor + after market full hood. Mostly holding up great. My car is normally parked inside so it's not subject to much except while driving. I did park at the airport for a few days and it seems like sprinklers or something did a number on my hood wrap and haven't managed to find a way to get the water spots off so trying to decide if it's worth replacing that wrap.

Someone did a nasty little scrape and ding on the side of my car while I was parked even though I always try to park away from other cars. Getting that fixed soon (at an $800 cost) and trying to decide if I should do a full wrap on the sides now or if it's not worth it at this point. I realize the wrap wouldn't prevent a ding but thinking it would protect from more minor scrapes. Otherwise the paint still looks great, but obviously not the same quality as when it was perfectly new, so not sure what the effect of putting a wrap over it at this point would be.