Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Armor? / XPEL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
curious about the paint armor option from Tesla. Should i get it or not get it? Driving into NYC every day I definitely want to protect the car a little more... Thoughts? Suggestions? $1k for the paint armor seems cheap so unless it has negative value (i.e. can't put XPEL over top of it) I dont see a downside.

curious about the paint armor option from Tesla. Should i get it or not get it? Driving into NYC every day I definitely want to protect the car a little more... Thoughts? Suggestions? $1k for the paint armor seems cheap so unless it has negative value (i.e. can't put XPEL over top of it) I dont see a downside.

I probably speak for everyone here on this one: *DO NOT GET THE PAINT ARMOR FROM TESLA*. Go with an aftermarket XPEL Ultimate installer.

Reasons:
1) Tesla's paint armor is 'partial' coverage, and you'll see lines all over your car.
2) Tesla doesn't do the paint armor themselves. A third party does it. Some owners have received theirs in very amateurish or worse condition.
3) XPEL quality is MUCH better. Warranty is better too. XPEL Ultimate also hides scratches very very well (it "self-heals"). A good XPEL installer can wrap everything so all lines are hidden. You can't even tell, even with close inspection, that there is paint armor on the car.
4) many owners pay for the Tesla Armor, and then after receiving getting their car and seeing condition stated in #2, they end up taking it to an XPEL installer to rip off all the crap armor Tesla uses and then put XPEL on. So you end up paying an extra grand.
5) Tesla's factory 'paint' condition on delivery is horrible. microswirls galore. if they paint armor on top of them, well then your going to have microswirls armored over. better to get it without armor, have it detailed by a pro to remove any factory paint defects (there are A LOT), and then XPEL over that clean paint for perfection.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
I probably speak for everyone here on this one: *DO NOT GET THE PAINT ARMOR FROM TESLA*. Go with an aftermarket XPEL Ultimate installer.

Reasons:
1) Tesla's paint armor is 'partial' coverage, and you'll see lines all over your car.
2) Tesla doesn't do the paint armor themselves. A third party does it. Some owners have received theirs in very amateurish or worse condition.
3) XPEL quality is MUCH better. Warranty is better too. XPEL Ultimate also hides scratches very very well (it "self-heals"). A good XPEL installer can wrap everything so all lines are hidden. You can't even tell, even with close inspection, that there is paint armor on the car.
4) many owners pay for the Tesla Armor, and then after receiving getting their car and seeing condition stated in #2, they end up taking it to an XPEL installer to rip off all the crap armor Tesla uses and then put XPEL on. So you end up paying an extra grand.
5) Tesla's factory 'paint' condition on delivery is horrible. microswirls galore. if they paint armor on top of them, well then your going to have microswirls armored over. better to get it without armor, have it detailed by a pro to remove any factory paint defects (there are A LOT), and then XPEL over that clean paint for perfection.

+ 1000

Call Eddie at Detailing Dynamics....516-747-4114...Awesome work...Tell him JerryNycom sent you for TMC discount...

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/gallery/32/

Reasons:

Curious as to why you think this one

Curious as to why you think this one

other owners on here had to contact the third party shop directly to request a custom full hood wrap instead of the partial one with lines showing.

with regards to the 'amateurish or worse condition', there are many posts on here from owners unhappy with the factory paint armor install. personally, I know two shops that "are used to ripping off Tesla armor" because unknowing owners got the Tesla ppf and after taking delivery they end up seeking reputable installers to have them take off the Tesla armor and install XPEL instead. These were not 'one time' incidents. usually they were because they didn't want to see the lines anymore as it make the car look pretty bad, but I do remember seeing comments on defects and bubbles from the factory and other poor install issues.

Just got XPEL Ultimate on full front (including fenders, headlights and A pillars), mirrors, front doors partial roof, back bumper as well as the Charcool tint and Opti-Guard inside on the leather. All this done in 2 days perfectly by Lee at Leeberbs / Signature detailing in Hillsborough, NJ.

other owners on here had to contact the third party shop directly to request a custom full hood wrap instead of the partial one with lines showing.

with regards to the 'amateurish or worse condition', there are many posts on here from owners unhappy with the factory paint armor install. personally, I know two shops that "are used to ripping off Tesla armor" because unknowing owners got the Tesla ppf and after taking delivery they end up seeking reputable installers to have them take off the Tesla armor and install XPEL instead. These were not 'one time' incidents. usually they were because they didn't want to see the lines anymore as it make the car look pretty bad, but I do remember seeing comments on defects and bubbles from the factory and other poor install issues.

But Tesla does install the paint armor correct? That is what I was questioning from item #2 of your list.

In Tesla's defense, the paint armour we've removed was actually of good quality and workmanship. I've actually seen worse coming from some other ppf installers around town. Tesla's factory option just isn't enough coverage and the kits are pre-cut. So, I wouldn't slam Tesla for this, I think what they're doing is above and beyond any manufacturer. But when you're talking economies of scale, there's no way a production manufacturer can replicate the work of an installer that does ppf installation every day for a living. There are also people in areas that haven't even heard of such a thing, let alone have someone that can install it ;)

I decided not to get the paint armor from Tesla after reading some threads about how people didn't like it. Plus I didn't want to see a line across my hood. I found a detailer in town who put on XPEL. At first I got XPEL put on the front bumper, full hood, front fenders and rear view mirrors. This cost $1500. Took the car into the detailer to get other things done and he noticed some water marks reforming on the car even after the pain correction. The car is always garaged at home but apparently the rural/farmland area I live in causes the water marks to set in. So I decided to get the whole car covered so I don't have to worry about the water marks and any scratches forming from my kid (especially with rear facing seats).
Call me crazy but having the whole car wrapped gives me comfort that the car is protected. Plus it has a shiny clean look and I can't see the lines.
Check out XPEL's website. They have a demonstration of how their product self heals any scratches, very cool!

I decided not to get the paint armor from Tesla after reading some threads about how people didn't like it. Plus I didn't want to see a line across my hood. I found a detailer in town who put on XPEL. At first I got XPEL put on the front bumper, full hood, front fenders and rear view mirrors. This cost $1500. Took the car into the detailer to get other things done and he noticed some water marks reforming on the car even after the pain correction. The car is always garaged at home but apparently the rural/farmland area I live in causes the water marks to set in. So I decided to get the whole car covered so I don't have to worry about the water marks and any scratches forming from my kid (especially with rear facing seats).
Call me crazy but having the whole car wrapped gives me comfort that the car is protected. Plus it has a shiny clean look and I can't see the lines.
Check out XPEL's website. They have a demonstration of how their product self heals any scratches, very cool!

yeah I have just the front done, but 8 months and 27k miles on my S, there are definitely a few scratches and marks etc...I've been mulling over the idea of a detailed paint correction and complete wrap over the remaining...