TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint Care/Protection Options

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jigish, Apr 9, 2013.

1. jigish

jigish Member

So I know the various options have been addressed in many topics but I have not seen a thread that compares them all yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Model S and I'd like to know the pros/cons of the various paint protection options.
    1. Full Wrap Paint Armor like Xpel Ultimate (or others)
    2. Clear Coat like CQuartz, 22PLE, Opti Coat
    3. Regular Washing+Waxing
    4. Any other option I don't currently know about

Things I'd like to compare about the options:
    1. Protection (e.g. what happens if a rock hits it on the road? will my paint scratch? is it self-healing?)
    2. Appearance (e.g. does it make the paint look better or worse?)
    3. Price
    4. Difficulty of installation (e.g. is there a chance the installer will screw up my paint)
    5. Can it be removed/replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's what I did. SunTek paint armour.

You still have to do that, but you use special products that work with the wrap such as PF1 Crystalline.

Paint armour protects the paint against rock chips. Some kinds are supposed to self-heal. No other method will protect against stone chips.

This is very dependent upon the quality of installation.

If ya gotta ask...

Yes. That's why you have to be careful of whom you choose.

Yes, it will just peel off. Expect five to eight years of life depending upon how you take care of it.

3. jigish

jigish Member

Great thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the full wrap as well, just wanted to see if there were any "better" options out there.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Keep it in your garage and don't go anywhere. Paint should stay in perfect condition.

5. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I did a combination. Paint correction detail then Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 on everything and everywhere. Then a front bumper, hood, lights, fenders, and rear bumper wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I could not justify wrapping the whole car. By far the hood takes the most abuse due to sun exposure, dust, dirt, leaves, and bird droppings all on a horizontal surface, so was worth a covering the whole hood.

The paint armor still needs some TLC, treat it as you would normal paint. Which means sealing and waxing (waxes without naptha and other solvents in it) on a regular basis.