Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Care/Protection Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know the various options have been addressed in many topics but I have not seen a thread that compares them all yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Model S and I'd like to know the pros/cons of the various paint protection options.
1. Full Wrap Paint Armor like Xpel Ultimate (or others)
2. Clear Coat like CQuartz, 22PLE, Opti Coat
3. Regular Washing+Waxing
4. Any other option I don't currently know about

Things I'd like to compare about the options:
1. Protection (e.g. what happens if a rock hits it on the road? will my paint scratch? is it self-healing?)
2. Appearance (e.g. does it make the paint look better or worse?)
3. Price
4. Difficulty of installation (e.g. is there a chance the installer will screw up my paint)
5. Can it be removed/replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I know the various options have been addressed in many topics but I have not seen a thread that compares them all yet. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Model S and I'd like to know the pros/cons of the various paint protection options.
1. Full Wrap Paint Armor like Xpel Ultimate (or others)

That's what I did. SunTek paint armour.

3. Regular Washing+Waxing

You still have to do that, but you use special products that work with the wrap such as PF1 Crystalline.

1. Protection (e.g. what happens if a rock hits it on the road? will my paint scratch? is it self-healing?)

Paint armour protects the paint against rock chips. Some kinds are supposed to self-heal. No other method will protect against stone chips.

2. Appearance (e.g. does it make the paint look better or worse?)

This is very dependent upon the quality of installation.

If ya gotta ask...

4. Difficulty of installation (e.g. is there a chance the installer will screw up my paint)

Yes. That's why you have to be careful of whom you choose.

5. Can it be removed/replaced?

Yes, it will just peel off. Expect five to eight years of life depending upon how you take care of it.

I did a combination. Paint correction detail then Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 on everything and everywhere. Then a front bumper, hood, lights, fenders, and rear bumper wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I could not justify wrapping the whole car. By far the hood takes the most abuse due to sun exposure, dust, dirt, leaves, and bird droppings all on a horizontal surface, so was worth a covering the whole hood.

The paint armor still needs some TLC, treat it as you would normal paint. Which means sealing and waxing (waxes without naptha and other solvents in it) on a regular basis.