Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chip . Recommendation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the estimate for the repairs. The guy is pretty sure some sort of metal rod impacted the side of the car. Front sandblast part might be a different event. Overall repairs are 1500$CAD :(

You can make an insurance claim for this kind of thing depending on what your deductible is and if you are comfortable having your insurance rates potentially go up.

If it were me I would try something like touch up paint first to see what results I could get for <$100, there's still nothing to stop you from taking it to a body shop if afterwards you aren't happy with the results. I used Doctor Color Chip to touch up a much smaller rock chip and the results were decent considering it's not normally a part of the car you ever even look at.

Not sure why you thought Tesla would cover this as a warranty item if it wasn't like this when you took delivery. Warranty is for defects, not road rash.

Got the estimate for the repairs. The guy is pretty sure some sort of metal rod impacted the side of the car. Front sandblast part might be a different event. Overall repairs are 1500$CAD :(
Well that's unfortunate. Do you have any pics from when you got it, that may show anything?

So, like voip ninja suggested, you can either file an insurance claim, but $1130 is alot to touchup a spot so low on the rocker. Mudflaps would totally cover the spot on the wheel well, so, $1130 to fix that one spot on the rocker... hmmm... can the PPF installer recommend a shop to paint that spot? If it were me, I'd prime it, then dr color chip it, then PPF it and put on the mudflaps. You're in Montréal!

Since the metal is exposed, especially on the rocker, it need to be sealed so rust can't form. PPF requires water to install I'm told, so something needs to be done before PPF is installed. Esthetic is not a big issue, as it's mostly hidden, but corrosion is a big concern. I'm open to suggestion if you know a place where I can get a second opinion...

You can make an insurance claim for this kind of thing depending on what your deductible is and if you are comfortable having your insurance rates potentially go up.

Deductible is high, so that's not an option.

Not sure why you thought Tesla would cover this as a warranty item if it wasn't like this when you took delivery. Warranty is for defects, not road rash.

More to know what they recommend and in case they could do it In house. But that was before I saw the damage in person.

Well that's unfortunate. Do you have any pics from when you got it, that may show anything?

Nope. Too small and hidden. Didn't took picture of the bottom of the car...

Little update on my issue. Initial place I went to get an estimate (Fix Auto Decarie) had gotten me an estimate of 1500$ and a late October appointment (that was in august!). Fast forward September, I met a fellow red M3 owner who had a bad experience with Fix Auto and recommended I give Auto Bugatti a try. Went there to get an estimate and it was 950$, so 550$ less than Fix Auto! Appointment was fixed for two weeks later.

Overall, the paint job is perfect. I know it's been repainted and can't even tell the difference. I've showed it to others, and nobody can tell it's been there. Overall great experience with Auto Bugatti.

Worst part was driving an ICE car (My parents 2009 Honda Fit) while I waited for my M3.

Next step is PPF Monday and put back the mudguards Monday night.

IMG_0983.jpeg

Reactions: KenC