Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chip . Recommendation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My PPF installer just texted me this damage he notice on the bottom of my car while installing the protection. Behind the front wheel.

IMG_1149.jpg

Should I ask Tesla service about it, or bring it directly to get get it fixed? Anyone got a recommendation in Montreal? Definitively not something I have seen before. I washed the car last sunday and didn't notice a thing.

I've had the car since July 31st :(

More pictures when I get the car in a couple of hours.

Not sure how successful it would be if I just show up there...?
They may not be able to fix it on the spot but if it was me I’d at least take it there and have them document it for repair at a later date. Or if you have a service advisor at the SC at least email them the pictures so it’s documented. Hopefully they’ll take care of it for you.

I opened a "case" with Tesla thru the app here in Montreal specifying it was paint chip problems. A few days later I was called directly by the body shop.
In my case I declined as I decided to fix the chips myself using one of those "all in one" chip paint fix pencil like applicators and some Bondo glaze.

PS: get mudflaps ASAP, you will get a lot more of this otherwise.. The 25$ ebay molded mudflaps work great and take 5 min to install.

I opened a "case" with Tesla thru the app here in Montreal specifying it was paint chip problems. A few days later I was called directly by the body shop.

Where they covering the cost of it, or just referring you to the body shop? I'll skip the intermediate otherwise...

PS: get mudflaps ASAP, you will get a lot more of this otherwise.. The 25$ ebay molded mudflaps work great and take 5 min to install.

Should I get mudflaps even with the XPEL protection there ? I guess it make sense to protect the protection...

Where they covering the cost of it, or just referring you to the body shop? I'll skip the intermediate otherwise...

Should I get mudflaps even with the XPEL protection there ? I guess it make sense to protect the protection...

No, they will not cover the cost for stone chips any more than they would cover cracked windshields.

I wouldn't trust a film protection to cover for rock and salt during our winters, but that's me

No, they will not cover the cost for stone chips any more than they would cover cracked windshields.

I wouldn't trust a film protection to cover for rock and salt during our winters, but that's me
I'll go for both too. However I drove last winter with no protection in Montreal and no such issues. You may have one of the batch with a bad paint :-(

See new pictures. It definitively wasn't there last Sunday... :(
View attachment 442122 View attachment 442125
There are two spots, the wheel well and the rocker. The wheel well spot looks typical for sandblasting due to its roundish shape with feathered edges, deeper in the middle, etc. The one on the rocker looks like a large impact, given its ragged edges, and depth to the metal.

There also appears to be a gouge on the plastic dark gray rocker panel just below. Do you recall running over a rock since washing?

I'm starting to believe it wasn't just a simple rock indeed... There's indeed a spot on the plastic part underneath.

I have an appointment at a body shop recommended on Tesla website tomorrow afternoon, I'll update when I get the estimate.

IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0736.jpeg

Photo 19-08-15 15 08 48.jpg
With more pictures, now, I'm wondering if there was a strap rub. Look at the wheel well spot, and look at the area next to it on the gray plastic rocker. That area has been rubbed, like a 3" strap. How it also involved two gouges, I don't know, but the gouge on the painted rocker and the one on the plastic may be related to what appears to be a strap rub. Check the other 3 wheel areas to see if it had been strapped down and exhibits more rubbing.

Reactions: groovidad
My PPF installer just texted me this damage he notice on the bottom of my car while installing the protection. Behind the front wheel.

View attachment 442099

Should I ask Tesla service about it, or bring it directly to get get it fixed? Anyone got a recommendation in Montreal? Definitively not something I have seen before. I washed the car last sunday and didn't notice a thing.

I've had the car since July 31st :(

More pictures when I get the car in a couple of hours.
Road damage not a warranty item. Buy automotive paint and clear coat from any reputable automotive paint supplier and repair, or, take to reputable body shop. Sorry your poor car got bit.