TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Paint chiping?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by bnsfengineer, May 23, 2018.

1. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

#1 bnsfengineer, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Hey I was wondering if anyone else experienced paint chipping between the bumper and the headlights? When I first noticed it i thought how could something fly up and hit that perfectly without hitting the headlight? Then looked at the other side and the same chips?? Notice its down to the bare metal so I know its not something that flew up but a paint defect. BTW I only hand wash myself and real careful as to what I use on my cars. Also noticed when you lift trunk they missed part of my hinges?? You can see the white thru the blue and I don't mean hardly ... looks like when you take a spray can and miss a whole area?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. kev1n

kev1n Member

looks like bad prep work. id bring it to Tesla's attention and have them repaint it at their cost.

• Like x 1
  3. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Yeah thats exactly what a friend said that does body work...but I really don't want a repaint! Never matches and then few years down the line clear coat could be different! Wondering if I could just use touch up?

4. kev1n

kev1n Member

if the job is done right with quality paint, you shouldnt have any of those issues. i would get it repainted personally and not use touch up paint

5. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Touch up will make it worse for your case. It only helps to hide tiny rock chips.

6. slotti

slotti Member

I just got my fenders repainted by Tesla (well, they used a Tesla approved body shop). Had paint blotches on them. Perfect job down. Cannot see a thing.

7. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Thanks!

8. Asad1087

Asad1087 Member

Please keep us posted. Best of luck, hopefully they don't keep it for too long.

9. ddm3

ddm3 Member

Crazy! I took mine in for a bumper wrap and the shop showed me that the exact same thing is happening to my car, in the exact same way as yours. My paint hasn't peeled off, but it looks like a strip of it is coming off like scotch tape.

I also am not looking forward to a repaint job because of the color matching issue, but it looks like that's the only real fix.

I'll be taking in my car tomorrow. I can show them your pictures and let them know it's not just me.

20180530_180045.jpg 20180530_180055.jpg

10. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Ahh Man please do!! Those are almost identical! Mine are on both sides..matching! Can you let me know what they say I haven't been able to take mine down there yet?

11. ddm3

ddm3 Member

On mine, the other side also had the beginnings of paint peeling. You could clearly see the ripples in the paint where it was bunching up like paper. So both sides have it.

The Tesla service center guy suggested a touch-up, but I said I wanted to do what's best long term. The body shop looked at it and recommended a full bumper re-paint. It'll take a week at least. I'm hoping they're able to match the paint.

Just some background, my car's only around 6 weeks old but it's been at the shop for 2 of those weeks. The same body shop it's at now cracked the windshield and it took a while to get a replacement. They eventually fixed what they were supposed to, but the whole body shop thing makes me nervous.

• Informative x 1
  12. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

My car is almost 3 months old Vins around 6800.. are they giving you a loaner? I think being a paint defect where it seems to be rolling off to the bare metal I don't think touch up will solve the issue. Im with you on having a brand new car in the body shop not knowing what to expect!

13. ddm3

ddm3 Member

They're good about getting you a Tesla loaner if they're available. I was able to get one with Autopilot too.

I'll report back when the car's done.

• Like x 1
  14. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Thank you!

15. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I went to a Tesla Club event this weekend and sure enough one of the 3s was like ours...he hadn't taken in yet.

16. ddm3

ddm3 Member

UPDATE: I finally got my car back. There was a separate issue that took a couple of tries to fix, otherwise the actual bumper took only 3-4 business days. The paint around the headlights looks fixed and the paint on the rest seems fine. I didn't get details on what exactly was repainted, but I didn't notice anything off. (And they didn't break the windshield this time so that's a plus.)

17. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

So you think its a perfect match on the repaint? I'm guessing they would do the whole thing so it would blend?

18. ddm3

ddm3 Member

Yeah, it matches as far as I can tell.

• Like x 1