Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chiping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I was wondering if anyone else experienced paint chipping between the bumper and the headlights? When I first noticed it i thought how could something fly up and hit that perfectly without hitting the headlight? Then looked at the other side and the same chips?? Notice its down to the bare metal so I know its not something that flew up but a paint defect. BTW I only hand wash myself and real careful as to what I use on my cars. Also noticed when you lift trunk they missed part of my hinges?? You can see the white thru the blue and I don't mean hardly ... looks like when you take a spray can and miss a whole area?

Attachments

• 20180519_174758.jpg
    20180519_174758.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 20180519_174742.jpg
    20180519_174742.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hey I was wondering if anyone else experienced paint chipping between the bumper and the headlights? When I first noticed it i thought how could something fly up and hit that perfectly without hitting the headlight? Then looked at the other side and the same chips?? Notice its down to the bare metal so I know its not something that flew up but a paint defect. BTW I only hand wash myself and real careful as to what I use on my cars. Also noticed when you lift trunk they missed part of my hinges?? You can see the white thru the blue and I don't mean hardly ... looks like when you take a spray can and miss a whole area?

Crazy! I took mine in for a bumper wrap and the shop showed me that the exact same thing is happening to my car, in the exact same way as yours. My paint hasn't peeled off, but it looks like a strip of it is coming off like scotch tape.

I also am not looking forward to a repaint job because of the color matching issue, but it looks like that's the only real fix.

I'll be taking in my car tomorrow. I can show them your pictures and let them know it's not just me.

20180530_180045.jpg
20180530_180055.jpg

Crazy! I took mine in for a bumper wrap and the shop showed me that the exact same thing is happening to my car, in the exact same way as yours. My paint hasn't peeled off, but it looks like a strip of it is coming off like scotch tape.

I also am not looking forward to a repaint job because of the color matching issue, but it looks like that's the only real fix.

I'll be taking in my car tomorrow. I can show them your pictures and let them know it's not just me.

View attachment 305104 View attachment 305105
Ahh Man please do!! Those are almost identical! Mine are on both sides..matching! Can you let me know what they say I haven't been able to take mine down there yet?

Ahh Man please do!! Those are almost identical! Mine are on both sides..matching! Can you let me know what they say I haven't been able to take mine down there yet?

On mine, the other side also had the beginnings of paint peeling. You could clearly see the ripples in the paint where it was bunching up like paper. So both sides have it.

The Tesla service center guy suggested a touch-up, but I said I wanted to do what's best long term. The body shop looked at it and recommended a full bumper re-paint. It'll take a week at least. I'm hoping they're able to match the paint.

Just some background, my car's only around 6 weeks old but it's been at the shop for 2 of those weeks. The same body shop it's at now cracked the windshield and it took a while to get a replacement. They eventually fixed what they were supposed to, but the whole body shop thing makes me nervous.

• Informative
Reactions: Asad1087
On mine, the other side also had the beginnings of paint peeling. You could clearly see the ripples in the paint where it was bunching up like paper. So both sides have it.

The Tesla service center guy suggested a touch-up, but I said I wanted to do what's best long term. The body shop looked at it and recommended a full bumper re-paint. It'll take a week at least. I'm hoping they're able to match the paint.

Just some background, my car's only around 6 weeks old but it's been at the shop for 2 of those weeks. The same body shop it's at now cracked the windshield and it took a while to get a replacement. They eventually fixed what they were supposed to, but the whole body shop thing makes me nervous.
My car is almost 3 months old Vins around 6800.. are they giving you a loaner? I think being a paint defect where it seems to be rolling off to the bare metal I don't think touch up will solve the issue. Im with you on having a brand new car in the body shop not knowing what to expect!

My car is almost 3 months old Vins around 6800.. are they giving you a loaner? I think being a paint defect where it seems to be rolling off to the bare metal I don't think touch up will solve the issue. Im with you on having a brand new car in the body shop not knowing what to expect!

They're good about getting you a Tesla loaner if they're available. I was able to get one with Autopilot too.

I'll report back when the car's done.

Reactions: Asad1087
I went to a Tesla Club event this weekend and sure enough one of the 3s was like ours...he hadn't taken in yet.

UPDATE: I finally got my car back. There was a separate issue that took a couple of tries to fix, otherwise the actual bumper took only 3-4 business days. The paint around the headlights looks fixed and the paint on the rest seems fine. I didn't get details on what exactly was repainted, but I didn't notice anything off. (And they didn't break the windshield this time so that's a plus.)