Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chipping on hatch, should it be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, took delivery of my X Plaid 2 months ago. I just noticed that my paint is chipping where the trunk hatch meets the falcon wing doors.

This must have just started happening within the last few weeks because I have some recent photos that don’t show this damage… any ideas what can be causing this? Could it be that the trim is getting caught on the hatch when opened? Has anyone heard of that happening? I’d go check but I can’t tonight, ugh! Any input is appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• 9D0C8C9A-66F3-42A5-A366-01F3438275E8.jpeg
    9D0C8C9A-66F3-42A5-A366-01F3438275E8.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 136
  • AD0EBCB0-1A10-4508-B391-058A2E37E311.jpeg
    AD0EBCB0-1A10-4508-B391-058A2E37E311.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
There are lots of folks on this forum that will be much more knowledgeable and supportive than me, but my take is, this is going to be a bit of a problem for you. The hinge side of the lift gate is the place where big forces come in to play and the impact of even a small misalignment will be magnified.

We all know what the manufacturer *should* do in this situation. However, this is Tesla. Impressive though this company may be, after-sales support is not their strong suit.

You seem to have an alignment problem. I would hope, I might even expect, Tesla will fix the basic problem with a service center visit or two. All of it should happen at no monetary expense to you, under warranty.

The concerning thing about the photo is not the chipped paint, it is the buckled bulging metal. Great leverage was required to make that happen. But it may not require equally great forces to prevent the problem from occurring. Usually there is a range of alignment adjustments that can be made on the hinge side. Let's hope you are not already at the limit of the adjustment range- if so, it will require a lot more time and effort to really fix this.

It would not be in Tesla's best interest to be very proactive about a major repair: you can expect they will do the smallest possible intervention for your first attempt at remediating this. That may be sufficient to keep it from recurring, it may not.

Best case scenario, you're going to be spending some time going back and forth to a service center and you're going to be without your new car for awhile. You should be able to demand a loaner but don't be shocked if they put you in a random enterprise rental instead (which might also be a tesla but anyway many SC's just don't have a lot of loaners and they won't know if they do or don't until they day you come in anyway). Bring a generous attitude (and maybe a box of chocolates) even though it was all Tesla's fault 100%. Many SC's will appreciate this and you may get better results.

Wish I had better news for you.

Last edited:
There are lots of folks on this forum that will be much more knowledgeable and supportive than me, but my take is, this is going to be a bit of a problem for you. The hinge side of the lift gate is the place where big forces come in to play and the impact of even a small misalignment will be magnified.

We all know what the manufacturer *should* do in this situation. However, this is Tesla. Impressive though this company may be, after-sales support is not their strong suit.

You seem to have an alignment problem. I would hope, I might even expect, Tesla will fix the basic problem with a service center visit or two. All of it should happen at no monetary expense to you, under warranty.

The concerning thing about the photo is not the chipped paint, it is the buckled bulging metal. Great leverage was required to make that happen. But it may not require equally great forces to prevent the problem from occurring. Usually there is a range of alignment adjustments that can be made on the hinge side. Let's hope you are not already at the limit of the adjustment range- if so, it will require a lot more time and effort to really fix this.

It would not be in Tesla's best interest to be very proactive about a major repair: you can expect they will do the smallest possible intervention for your first attempt at remediating this. That may be sufficient to keep it from recurring, it may not.

Best case scenario, you're going to be spending some time going back and forth to a service center and you're going to be without your new car for awhile. You should be able to demand a loaner but don't be shocked if they put you in a random enterprise rental instead (which might also be a tesla but anyway many SC's just don't have a lot of loaners and they won't know if they do or don't until they day you come in anyway). Bring a generous attitude (and maybe a box of chocolates) even though it was all Tesla's fault 100%. Many SC's will appreciate this and you may get better results.

Wish I had better news for you.
Really appreciate the reply! This is my 5th Tesla since 2018 so I’m experienced with the service center haha.

I opened and closed the lift gate and can confirm that it indeed is causing the paint to chip. The window trim and rubber seems misaligned which is causing the metal to rub against the trim. I think the metal “bulging” might be due to the lighting because I don’t see it in real life but I’ll notate it.

I made a service ticket and got a response saying to call a local auto body and they closed the case. I responded with more info because I think it should be covered under warranty. Here are some more pics with the passenger side to compare with.

CC5513FD-72C6-40D7-B192-71EE49EF33A5.jpegA750B9E6-0CD7-4D4B-8359-AE17A9D15521.jpegDF3C00EB-8BE9-4E66-8C66-6DDB4D341419.jpegEB77ECF5-225A-408D-B299-8F9ECD29B75C.jpeg64A62D3E-374D-425A-AACB-2FA0C6600B9A.jpeg