TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint chips after 6 months

Discussion in 'Video' started by InternetDude, Nov 15, 2015.

1. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

#1 InternetDude, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

If I was to do it again, I'd put paint protection film on the hood only.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I find it strange that your hood has sustained so many more dinglets than has your nose cone. In about the same amount of distance, my experience is almost exactly reversed - one on the hood and a near-dozen on the cone. Now, that is what is evident in the film itself - I had a full-frontal film job applied on Day One. And am glad I did so...

Regardless, the film also gets marred, as my experience shows.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Me too. Full film has saved the paint more times than I can count.

True, but it's far easier and less expensive to replace the film when it gets too marred compared to a repaint job that is never as good as the original.

4. bestellen

bestellen Member

I have heard that Tesla has soft paint. I think I get what means and regular car washes are to be avoided. I know a touchless wash is not a great answer. So I am already preparing myself to washing car just after sunrise and using a two bucket system. If you want more info I can share it with you. Our vet was black and I hated spiderweb marks in paint. Plus I almost always had to wax it after every wash. How are you finding you way through this mind field?

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

wow you only have about a dozen chips? I've got to have thousands or tens of thousands by now. my black paint actually looks like 'metallic black' because of all the specs chipped out of it. (well, mostly as nics on the XPEL film thank god, though the sides are unprotected and chipped, but my windshield is like looking out of a screened in window there are so many). literally it looks like someone stood in front of my car with a jabizillion horsepower sand blaster. 95k miles. i'd say if you only have a dozen or so it's like being delivered fresh out of the factory.

6. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

#6 InternetDude, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Bummer, I got some serious paint scratches on my car (not my fault). Watch as I try to make it better: