Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chips after 6 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it strange that your hood has sustained so many more dinglets than has your nose cone. In about the same amount of distance, my experience is almost exactly reversed - one on the hood and a near-dozen on the cone. Now, that is what is evident in the film itself - I had a full-frontal film job applied on Day One. And am glad I did so...

Regardless, the film also gets marred, as my experience shows.

I find it strange that your hood has sustained so many more dinglets than has your nose cone. In about the same amount of distance, my experience is almost exactly reversed - one on the hood and a near-dozen on the cone. Now, that is what is evident in the film itself - I had a full-frontal film job applied on Day One. And am glad I did so...

Me too. Full film has saved the paint more times than I can count.

Regardless, the film also gets marred, as my experience shows.
True, but it's far easier and less expensive to replace the film when it gets too marred compared to a repaint job that is never as good as the original.

I have heard that Tesla has soft paint. I think I get what means and regular car washes are to be avoided. I know a touchless wash is not a great answer. So I am already preparing myself to washing car just after sunrise and using a two bucket system. If you want more info I can share it with you. Our vet was black and I hated spiderweb marks in paint. Plus I almost always had to wax it after every wash. How are you finding you way through this mind field?

wow you only have about a dozen chips? I've got to have thousands or tens of thousands by now. my black paint actually looks like 'metallic black' because of all the specs chipped out of it. (well, mostly as nics on the XPEL film thank god, though the sides are unprotected and chipped, but my windshield is like looking out of a screened in window there are so many). literally it looks like someone stood in front of my car with a jabizillion horsepower sand blaster. 95k miles. i'd say if you only have a dozen or so it's like being delivered fresh out of the factory.