Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint chips in front of wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I washed the Car and noticed two White spots on the paint in front of the rear wheel arch. Uppen closer inspection I noticed that it is actually paint chips all the Way to the metal.

As far as I know nothing have hit the Car there but from looking at google and this Forum it seems like it is a place that is prone to paint chips due to stones etc. However I have mudflaps and have not driven anywhere that had a lot og lose gravel or anything. The Car has driven less than 300 km…

I know that a car dropped some long metal pipes right next to my MY However the man driving the car said that the metal pipes did not hit the car… and now I am wondering if they could have hit… or if this just is paint chips from unlucky stone strikes ans to be expected With wear and tear?

Ps anyone know how to fix chips when the Tesla repair kit isent available in EU?

That's unfortunate but it sounds like minimal damaged, or that is to say you caught it early. You can buy PPF kits for the rear door quarter off Amazon for like 40. I just repaired the stone chips on our car, used touch up paint, buffed it, then applied the PPF kits on top. It turned out decent.

I use Touch Up Direct products. Touch Up Direct has the correct paint to match your Tesla vehicle. Touch Up Direct has short videos that demonstrate how to repair typical paint chip damage. Until you can repair the paint chips you can cover the area with some car wax. Later you will strip off the wax with a cleaner product before applying the touch up products.

Tesla sells mudflaps (front only) and paint protection film (PPF) for the rear doors of the Model Y. As you have seen, the rear doors take a beating.

Many manufacturers are aware of this issue and put a form of PPF there. Porsche used to do it on their 944's from the 80s. I've had it on my G35 coupe from the 2000's, My 2010 Prius also had a tiny bit. For some reason Tesla went cheap and basically makes you pay for the protection or just deal with the chips. I know they're looking to maximize profits and it surely hasnt slowed demand, but I think they should do better.

One of the first things I did when I got the car was put on mudflaps and PPF the front 1/3 of the car as well as the rocker panels. When I got the car it even had 5 (very tiny) paint chips. I just dealt with them. I dont think most people would even notice, but since I was getting PPF, I looked at every inch of paint.

Be thankful you learned early. Some peoples cars look like they were sandblasted.