Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint coating and protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. First off, been lurking for a little bit - thank you all for your help. I will be taking delivery for a new 60D mid April. Although it will be leased, I would like to coat/protect it and keep it shiny. Do you guys advise against this since I will be returning the car in 3 years? Is it ok to use cquartz since it lasts about 2 years? Any advice is appreciated!

It all depends on your budget. If need rock chip protection, you're going to have to invest in paint protection film or sprayable equivalent like Autoflex coatings. If you just want protection from swirls and light marring, go for the synthetic coatings like cquartz, Modesta, Gtechniq etc. PPF will cost more, followed by Autoflex and the most "cheapest" will be the synth coatings.

Agreed. Only reason to apply a coating on a leased car is if you wash it yourself regularly. The glass coatings make washing and maintenance a lot easier.

May i ask how it helps?

I am planning to get something done for my car too. PPF is surely out of question as its too expensive. At this cost, i would rather prefer to change the color of car or wrapped in another colour after 2-3 years. I just want my original color to be maintained and shiny for longer period however issue is its not easy to wash with free water in our apartment's car park. Maximum we are allowed is to use 1-2 buckets of water. Due to construction in the area roads get dirty and then they spray water which results in muddy water splashes on all around lower part of the car especially .

Its not convenient to always bring to car wash shops as its really a headache here in Hong Kong especially on weekends where they are fully booked most of the time hence just walk in not possible.

Appreciate your inputs.

May i ask how it helps?

I am planning to get something done for my car too. PPF is surely out of question as its too expensive. At this cost, i would rather prefer to change the color of car or wrapped in another colour after 2-3 years. I just want my original color to be maintained and shiny for longer period however issue is its not easy to wash with free water in our apartment's car park. Maximum we are allowed is to use 1-2 buckets of water. Due to construction in the area roads get dirty and then they spray water which results in muddy water splashes on all around lower part of the car especially .

Its not convenient to always bring to car wash shops as its really a headache here in Hong Kong especially on weekends where they are fully booked most of the time hence just walk in not possible.

Appreciate your inputs.

As it was explained to me this morning, it's like a fresh coat of rain-x so you can get away a lot of the time with just spraying the car down to get most of the grime off.

I'm waiting to try and convince the wife when she gets back tomorrow to let me do the full xpel and ceramic coat. ~$7.8k, at least I just got the tax rebate deposited.

Reactions: mkq786