Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint coming off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
I have some paint coming off on one side under the door. I can see a clear coat flaking off which has caused the discolouration underneath on the paint it seems.

Only ever hand washed properly no machines etc.

Opposite side to where the damage was done from the gate in my other thread .

Tesla warranty should cover this right?

Attachments

• 36931D5D-0A82-48E7-BAA3-CAF8ACD7CDDF.jpeg
    36931D5D-0A82-48E7-BAA3-CAF8ACD7CDDF.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 398
Is this the M3? Q4 2020 models had an issue with the paint that even Elon acknowledged. I've got something similar, but still to book it in.

Is this the M3? Q4 2020 models had an issue with the paint that even Elon acknowledged. I've got something similar, but still to book it in.

Yep

And they are even giving me a loaner 🤩

Most likely another 6 year old model s 60d like last time that looked like it has been used in Afghanistan for 5 years followed by as a drug mule car and never seen soap or a hoover in its life

And they are even giving me a loaner 🤩

Most likely another 6 year old model s 60d like last time that looked like it has been used in Afghanistan for 5 years followed by as a drug mule car and never seen soap or a hoover in its life
Hope you added it to your car insurance otherwise, like some hire car companies, they will charge you £2k excess if not returned in pristine condition 😜

Flaking paint on the sills like that (as has been referenced in this thread) is a well known phenomenon on some batches of MiC cars due to poor adherance of paint to the stone guard layer. What makes you think it is not that?
Not just MiC. The last batch of Fremont cars also had this problem. IIRC they didn't wait long enough between coats when ramping up production.