Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint correction and Xpel application near Rockville, MD Service Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Dear mid-Atlantic forum,

I'm gonna stumble into a new S in the first half of December, taking delivery in Rockville. Can someone please recommend a top-notch paint protection film (e.g., Xpel) applier near the Rockville SC?

I want to get a full-body wrap within milliseconds of taking delivery of my S.

The applier needs to be able to do paint correction as well. Bonus points for Opticoat or similar capability.

Thanks!

Alan

P.S. IIRC, @artsci gave me a recommendation but it was down in Virginia. I'm hoping for something near the Rockville SC, so that I can have the car slowly and gently driven from the SC to the Xpel shop, with 3 or 4 guys walking in front of it the whole way, sweeping the roadway clear of even the tiniest debris.

Hey, @Fiddler,

Sorry to learn of Tesla guidance against protecting the finish but that ain't gonna fly with me.

Guess there's an as-yet unidentified Xpel installer in the Rockville area who's going to learn how to cut out little holes in Xpel around all the sensors.

Alan

P.S. @Fiddler, sorry I was curt. I meant to say, "thank you for responding to my query with this surprising and therefore valuable information!" I hadn't seen this coming, and will make sure that I learn from Tesla where all the various sensors are located -- so your comment has a lot of value to me. Thank you!

Reactions: CatB
Pollux, Like you, I plan to wrap anyway. Tesla should tell us which products interfere or might interfere the most. I hadn't thought of little sensor holes in the wrap, but I don't believe the wrap would interfere enough to make a difference. The ultra sonic sensors are seeing through a sheet of aluminum. The wrap can't me much worst than a few layers of wax. I say wrap it anyway. Other Tesla Service Centers have recommended wrap detailers and product.
Is Nina your DS? She is out of town until Dec12.
Driven Dynamics112 Frederick Ave.Unit G Rockville, MD 20850 301.838.0333 [email protected]
All American Paint Protection 15125 Frederick Rd Rockville, MD 20855 301-704-9348
Brand It Wrap It 375 Derwood Cir, Rockville, MD 20850 (301) 704-9348

When they finish your MS, they can do my Model X.

@Fiddler - thanks for your recommendations!

@EM - got your PM; thanks!

@Curt - I appreciate the vote for Driven Dynamics. Would I be out out line to ask how much your full paint correction plus full body wrap cost?

All - FYI, through another source, who wishes to remain unidentified, I've received recommendations for Driven Dynamics and All American Paint Protection.

Thanks,
Alan

I used All-American Paint Protection for an Xpel bra covering after I took delivery in May 2015 and have been generally happy.

However, I have had two small areas of bubbling subsequently appear since getting the Xpel. The first appeared about 2 months in and AAPP fixed it, although they said they were not obligated to. I just noticed a second small (<1 cm) inconspicuous area a few weeks ago. The reason I mention this is I don't know if this is a sign of less-than-great workmanship or something that might be occur even in the very best shops.

Hi, @jdo,

I can offer two data points from my own experience.

1. Took delivery August 7, 2013 of a P85+ with factory-installed Paint Armor, which was a clear, partial-coverage paint protection film option offered back then and discontinued not long afterwards. The sales dude tried to talk me out of it. But I wasn't interested in eliminating options, as this was a mid-life crisis car. After finalizing the order, I realized that (a) I wasn't happy with the coverage pattern chosen by Tesla and (b) I wanted to have someone apply OptiCoat to the base car before I layered paint protection film on top of it. So I knew even before delivery that I would have to have someone strip off the Paint Armor. $1K down the drain. But here's the interesting part. The guy who did the OptiCoat work was the one who stripped the Paint Armor. He was not (at that time) a paint protection film installer, so he had no horse in this race. He reported back that the Paint Armor was poorly installed, with many bubbles, streaks and other artifacts. Subsequently, I asked around about the Paint Armor and heard similar reports.

2. I had my own 2013 P85+ covered with a full-body Xpel wrap in the fall of 2013. Front and sides in August 2013, the rest a few months later. When I went to sell the car a couple of weeks ago, I found some small bubbles around the front bumper. FYI, from any reasonable distance from the car, until about 3 or 4 inches away from the bottom part of the front bumper, you couldn't see any problems. You'd have to get within maybe 2-3 inches of the car, look carefully, and even run your hand over parts of the body, to detect the Xpel itself... keeping in mind that it was a full body wrap so, for instance, there was no seam midway across the hood.

I believe from what I've heard and data points #1 and #2 above that (a) you shouldn't see problems at the time Xpel is installed or any reasonable time thereafter. That said, you might see artifacts emerge over a period of years and I would consider that "normal wear".

Hope this helps.

Alan

• Informative
Reactions: jdo and Fiddler
Hi, @jdo,

I can offer two data points from my own experience.

1. Took delivery August 7, 2013 of a P85+ with factory-installed Paint Armor, which was a clear, partial-coverage paint protection film option offered back then and discontinued not long afterwards. The sales dude tried to talk me out of it. But I wasn't interested in eliminating options, as this was a mid-life crisis car. After finalizing the order, I realized that (a) I wasn't happy with the coverage pattern chosen by Tesla and (b) I wanted to have someone apply OptiCoat to the base car before I layered paint protection film on top of it. So I knew even before delivery that I would have to have someone strip off the Paint Armor. $1K down the drain. But here's the interesting part. The guy who did the OptiCoat work was the one who stripped the Paint Armor. He was not (at that time) a paint protection film installer, so he had no horse in this race. He reported back that the Paint Armor was poorly installed, with many bubbles, streaks and other artifacts. Subsequently, I asked around about the Paint Armor and heard similar reports.

2. I had my own 2013 P85+ covered with a full-body Xpel wrap in the fall of 2013. Front and sides in August 2013, the rest a few months later. When I went to sell the car a couple of weeks ago, I found some small bubbles around the front bumper. FYI, from any reasonable distance from the car, until about 3 or 4 inches away from the bottom part of the front bumper, you couldn't see any problems. You'd have to get within maybe 2-3 inches of the car, look carefully, and even run your hand over parts of the body, to detect the Xpel itself... keeping in mind that it was a full body wrap so, for instance, there was no seam midway across the hood.

I believe from what I've heard and data points #1 and #2 above that (a) you shouldn't see problems at the time Xpel is installed or any reasonable time thereafter. That said, you might see artifacts emerge over a period of years and I would consider that "normal wear".

Hope this helps.

Alan
LOVE it when members provide this kind of feedback!
Thanks a ton Alan.

VERY happy with the results from All American Paint Protection, located about 3 minutes by car from the Rockville Service Center. Brett and Tiffany Miller took care of:
(1) Full-body Xpel Ultimate
(2) Ceramic pro, multiple layers, on top of the Xpel
(3) Ceramic Pro interior sealant thingie for all the seats and Alcantara and whatnot​

I received frequent communications from Brett throughout the process, including pictures of the work in progress. Brett was patient with all of my questions and concerns... and I can be somewhat questioning and concerning. :)

Brett is obsessive about details(*), extremely knowledgeable about his business and the products he offers. I have multiple examples to offer.

When we walked around the car for the first time, he learned that there were new cameras in the B pillars as well as new cameras on the side of the car, hiding in these little flanges. He called a master technician at Tesla and learned that these were hi-def cameras... layering plastic on top of them *might* result in a diminution of their performance. Or not. But it wasn't a sure thing. So he devised a plan to wrap around the cameras hiding in the flanges and to use a ton of Ceramic Pro layers on the B pillars instead of Xpel.

It turns out that part of wrapping the car's rear bumper includes removing and restoring the badging. Normally, this can be accomplished by taking the factory badging and re-applying some adhesive. But that's not easily done for the P100DL badging, which has a thing line underneath the P100D part. That underline is too thin to safely apply adhesive without making a mess on the car. With the P100DL, you need to get an entire new badge from Tesla (which already has its own adhesive). It's not expensive, but it's an issue that needs to be dealt with. So even before I brought the car in, Brett asked me the model number and then brought up this issue. Brett was willing to handle the whole interaction with Tesla, but since I love dealing with Tesla myself, and since I was already in discussions with them about paying for and taking delivery on the vehicle, I handled it. Tesla sold me some new badges along with the car. :)

But... but... then Brett found that the new badge I'd been given was NOT quite right. The underline didn't reach all the way across the P100D! Probably the underline had been meant for a P90D. So first Brett sent me a picture of the problem and then checked with me to find out whether I cared (I did). Then he took care of explaining the issue to Tesla (they didn't believe him at first) and obtaining the correct replacement.

On delivery day, Brett not only walked around the car with me to point out all the details, he got down on his hands and knees and crawled around with me looking at the bottom of the car as well. After a lengthy search, I was able to find two small bubbles down at the bottom of the bumper, which required lowering my head near the floor and looking up to find them. These are bubbles that will soon be gone when they finish drying.

In truth, it was an excellent wrap. Even better than the one I had done in Massachusetts, and I was darned happy with that one! Every possible edge was tucked. The paintwork is bright and beautiful and the clear wrap is impossible to find unless you know where to look. I am very impressed!

(Incidentally, 50% or more of the work was done by Tiffany. So the kudos go to both of them.)

Contact info:
All American Paint Protection
Full Service Auto Salon
Brett Miller owner & lead installer
15125 Frederick Road
Rockville, MD 20855
www.clear-bra-maryland.com
301 704 9348
[email protected]

Alan

(*)I like auto guys who are obsessive about details!!

A few pix now... one note about the pix. They were taken as work in progress by AAPP, and you might be able to see bubbles if you enlarge the pictures (especially in the first picture of Tiffany at work). Except as I noted above, all bubbles were dry/gone by the time I picked up the car. You might also be able to see what look like smudges (again, you have to blow up the pictures)... these are reflections of the floor. In real life, the car was immaculate at pickup.

01 - Tiffany wrapping car.jpg
02 - Wrapped car headlight & hood.jpg
03 - Wrapped car full frontal.jpg
04 - Wrapped car rear.jpg
05 - Wrapped car rear quarter.jpg
06 - P100D badge issue.jpg
08 - Brett & Tiffany.jpg
09 - Brett & Tiffany.jpg

Reactions: CatB
Can you explain why ceramic pro over the xpel since the xpel is protecting the paint.
There are several reasons to apply Ceramic Pro on top of the paint protection film. While PPF offers unparalleled impact resistance (rock chips/ road Debris) PPF does not have UV inhibitors in it. Reason being, If a customer were to be interested in only having the partial hood protected with ppf for example, PPF in engineered to allow the protected paint to fade at the same rate as the unprotected paint, that way if the film is to be removed down the road, the paint will still look the same.
Ceramic Pro offers amazing UV resistant properties to protect your paint.

The Ceramic coatings will also increase that brilliant shine as well as making maintenance infinitely easier. Alleviating, the possibility of water spots, making bugs/ splatters infinity easier to remove, as well as tree saps, road tar, road paint etc. These are thing we encounter while driving, and more times than not, once we notice whats happening on the road, many times its already too late. PPF and ceramic coatings are the ultimate 1-2 punch in automobile protection

Can you explain why ceramic pro over the xpel since the xpel is protecting the paint.

@AAPP_Brett explained it better than I could. I would've said, "Ceramic Pro makes things slippery", so by implication you get easier cleanup and so on. I had forgotten about the UV thing but that's another issue -- and an important one to me. The "makes it slippery" has an interesting implication: last wrap I got in '13, I had OptiCoat put on directly onto the paint and THEN the Xpel over that. This time, there wasn't a choice: Xpel had to go on first because it would have been too difficult to get Xpel to adhere to a paint+Ceramic Pro combination.

Alan