Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Correction & Coating - G|Techniq C1 & EXO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to see how Chicago beats up the car this winter. GTechniq says it's good for about 2 years. I like the product, but this remains to be seen. I think like a lot of external coating products, you have to keep evaluating the surfaces for beading, run off, etc.

Damn NY that I need a front plate! And I don't like how it looks under the nose cone, so I'd rather have it where it is unfortunately....

Aaron

At least you're not living in a state where they make it as difficult as they can for you to purchase a truly American made product. I am an early adopter and generally a DIY guy ... but the purchase process for the Tesla has even my nerves a little uneasy. I can see how the "average" buyer will never be able to make the plunge with dealer laws the way they are in TX and now NC.

but the purchase process for the Tesla has even my nerves a little uneasy. I can see how the "average" buyer will never be able to make the plunge with dealer laws the way they are in TX and now NC.

It's a pain for Tesla but for the purchaser it's really no big deal. Tesla sends you the papers, in Texas you take them to the county tax office, pay your sales tax and get your plates. Took me about 30 minutes most of which was waiting in line. The car is picked up at the local service centre--assuming you're where an SC is--either before or after you get the paperwork (my car delivery was about a week before the papers--no hassles).

Last edited:
A couple of things: Jerry, congratulations on getting your car. I hope you post pictures somewhere. There is no Tesla Owner will be more on top of the technical specifications!

Aaron, your car looks like it was dipped in diamond sorbet. Unbelievable. I am wondering what they did inside the car, exactly, and if this is really something you recommend given the overall "value", meaning cost and final effect.

Finally, I did notice the orange plate when I saw you at the supercharger a few months ago. I thought they looked awesome. The contrast between the blue and the orange is striking, and unique. Go with it. My bias is to have the plate below the grill, but then again that is a bias, isn't it? I just used the plastic strips to do this.

I'll have some impressions after this weekend, which I'm spending giving my Model S a top to bottom GTechniq treatment.

Going over the car, I realized that the section around the pano roof (about 4" in front and an inch on sides) is a painted plastic (and a few other places). I know it will work well to treat with both C1 and EXOv2, but does anyone know if I should polish those areas as well (using P1 & P2 in advance of applying C1)? Since the sections are painted to match the body of the car, it seems I should polish before I treat, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

You don't need to polish unless there are below surface defects. To assess this, you're going to have to wash and clay your car in order to examine the clear coat. If you have swirls, rain spots or other defects, you should polish. I'm not too familiar with P1 or P2, however. Whatever polish gets the job done.

If you don't have any defects, you should use their panel wipe or comparable IPA or something like Eraser Pro or griots garage paint prep and pre wax cleaner.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Got it. The car is brand new, so I wouldn't expect any defects, but I guess I find out after I've washed and clayed.

You'd be surprised! Mine has a fair amount of swirls. Too many initial trips to a hand wash car wash in the winter.

If you really want to enhance the shine (and I suppose one should not need to do this with a new car -- but if there are swirls and holograms from "dealer" prep) then polish in a stepwise fashion. Practically speaking, however, if your paint is free of defects, go ahead and apply.

I plan to do a paint correction in a few weeks then do another one in the fall, when I apply C1 and EXO2.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Game on, old friend!

2013-07-06 09.08.45.jpg

Wow....just wow...

And here I was a bit upset about no signature red option. I was considering the blue as it is my favorite color (I just cheat with red and black here and there) when it comes time but my biggest concern with blue is I didn't like how the color got distorted by the lighting (At least that is how it seemed in the pictures, haven't seen a blue one yet). I was also considering just getting black and then doing something with it later. But with this the lighting seems almost perfect! Tesla should make this a Signature Blue option!

How much did something like this cost? Does it offer any other advantages other then looks and rain? Does it have any disadvantages? How long does it last? Did you go for the paint armor from Tesla? Will it blind people?(lol)

*sigh* And I know I may sound a bit hypocritical but I was hoping on not standing out too much when I got my Model S...but that blue is just so hard to pass up...

Again, really awesome, it brings out the true value of the blue.

The blue is going to look different depending on the lighting conditions. In my opinion, I think that's why it appeals to many. It does look lighter and metallic in bright daylight. In dimmer lighting (and in some bright light depending on your view point) it looks midnight blue -- almost black.

Gtechniq C1 and EXO v2 are protective coatings. They become almost like a second layer of clear coat. Their purpose is to protect your paint from UV light, fallout, swirling, etc.

They are in no way protective like Xpel or other paint armours.

It will add some depth to the paint so that it does look glassy. But, in reality the appearance is going to be that of the underlying paint. So, it you have swirls, oxidized paint, scratches, marring, halos, etc. it's still going to look like crap after Gtechniq...just well protected crap. That's why just about everyone recommends a paint correction (polishing) before application. Polishing adds the shine and gloss. Gtechniq just protects it.

With Aaron and RetinaDoc's endorsement of Gotham Autoworks in Danbury, Connecticut, I brought my one-week old Tesla there for their "new car service," which included the G Techniq and Exo treatment. I am very impressed. Even my wife can tell the difference. The surface is glossier, more reflective, and looks richer and thicker.

I went way out of my way to get there, two hours there and back, and rented a car from the next door Enterprise for two days while they worked on it. I'm glad I did it. What do you think? I like how reflective the hood is in the second picture.

Tesla.jpg
Tesla2.jpg