Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint correction, PPF, Ceramic Coating, Window Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S long-range on reservation (now shows Dec/Jan estimated delivery) and this is a car I want to keep for at least 5 years and I'm anal about keeping my cars in good shape. I got a quote from a local shop in Southern California for the following:
- Decontamination & paint correction - $500
- Full PPF (XPEL I believe) - $6,000
- Ceramic coating - $1,000
- Xpel window tint - $1,300

At close to $9,000, that represents 10% of the purchase price of the car. I didn't know what to expect in terms of pricing, but this seems like a very large additional investment. Curious what others have done / recommend in terms of these items. I view the window tint and ceramic as "nice to have" and not a must.

They are gouging you a bit. Paint Correction (especially on a brand new car) not needed for PPF. Decontamination on a new car is as simple as spraying with IronX before washing one time.

That said, I've had literally a dozen cars over the years. Garage kept. Always keep mine in great condition. Sold them myself to private owners who often paid near top of KBB value. And Ive never used PPF.
At those costs above? You could literally get a full re-spray new paint job right before selling if you wanted.

Honestly ceramic coating is overhyped. I've non-professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated my Audi in the past. It looked nice after a washing and it was more water phobic, but it definitely would not be worth paying $1,000 to have done professionally. Window tints are usually in the $300 - $500 range for 4 windows plus the back window. The full PPF is an individual decision. I personally wouldn't pay $6K for a full PPF, if you do go PPF...ceramic coating seems pointless.

those prices are bit high. it all depends on your obsessiveness about the paint. i'm obsessive. my cars are all fully ppf'd and ceramic on top. i like that i dont have to worry about rock chips and swirling the paint. if you want your car to look new for years its worth it, and you may recoup some of the cost on resale, as you car will have prestine paint still

i would ceramic coat it yourself, its easy and much cheaper. ceramic on top of the ppf will help maintain the ppf, add some gloss and make the washing process easier. don't think that if you ppf the car that ceramic has not benefit. it still does the exact same thing whether the car is ppf'd or not.

i would ceramic coat it yourself, its easy and much cheaper. ceramic on top of the ppf will help maintain the ppf, add some gloss and make the washing process easier. don't think that if you ppf the car that ceramic has not benefit. it still does the exact same thing whether the car is ppf'd or not.
I would think a simple Carnauba wax on top of the PPF would do the same job as ceramic coating on the PPF at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Honestly ceramic coating is overhyped. I've non-professionally paint corrected and ceramic coated my Audi in the past. It looked nice after a washing and it was more water phobic, but it definitely would not be worth paying $1,000 to have done professionally. Window tints are usually in the $300 - $500 range for 4 windows plus the back window. The full PPF is an individual decision. I personally wouldn't pay $6K for a full PPF, if you do go PPF...ceramic coating seems pointless.

Window tint is just important to make sure they have good UVA/UVB filtering capabilities. Particularly with children in the back thats superimport in the southern USA and obviously Australia etc.(UVA wont burn and Tesla only filters 70% of UVA). It shouldnt really cost more than 300-400 USD.

Having driven my Model 3 EXTENSIVELY on rural Australian roads at high speeds, passing poorly maintained cars without mudflaps, traveling behind trucks etc
The only thing worth PPFing is a) the lower fenders in front of the rear tires and maybe the entire lower rocker panel on the drivers side b) the fenders behind the front tires if you dont have mudflaps (get the chinese ones, they look awesome) c) the entire front of the car including the bonnet. d) windshield

If the OT likes a bit of detailing himself I'd use spray sealants etc for the first 2-3 years and then he can get a professional polish after 2 years and THEN ask for a full ceramic coating - not particularly expensive if you are gonna get a polish anyway.

We have had Xpel Ultimate on several cars (and we currently have it on about 90% of the S, and my wife's 3 is 100% covered). Highly recommend not putting anything else, ceramic or wax, etc., on top of the Xpel. I put the Xpel on the car mainly to keep it looking good and to keep maintenance to a minimum. Hate spending time washing and waxing cars, but want them looking good------Xpel does this. Putting anything on top of the Xpel only opens the door for more maintenance. In addition, my experience with the ceramic (forget which product was professionally applied) was disappointing------using a micro fiber cloth to remove a dime size dirt splotch left swirl marks that the detailers said was normal. I had the ceramic removed and replaced with Xpel.). Over a 10 year period I think I had the Xpel on 3 corvettes and 2 Teslas---------with nothing on top of it and we have been VERY happy with the product---cars look great all the time (we only wash the cars 2-3 times a year, and this includes the snowy winters in MA.

5 years to keep the car is the rough rule of thumb I use before having the Xpel applied-----you don't get the money back if you trade the car in, so if I am not planning on keeping the car for at least 5 years I really can't justify (to my wife) spending the money. You might be able to save a few hundred dollars by not getting the entire car done, e.g., the trunk, window pillars; back panels. BUT just remember, whatever you don't get covered is going to be the area that will get hit by the road debris--------you can bet on this uncanny truth. Saw this happen many times when in a corvette car club when people only got half their hood covered, or didn't cover the window and door pillars; or roof.

Xpel has a product that you should put on the Xpel once a year or so (depends how much time the car spends outside in the sun)----it is like a cleaner or protector. Very simple and quick to apply---wipe on, wipe off type of thing-------30 minutes to do the entire car; 20 minutes if you hurry.

Don't think you need the paint correction expense if you are having Xpel applied at a reputable place. I have no experience with window tints. Best of luck to you.

I plan on getting just front PPF and ceramic tint. IMHO rest feels like a waste of money.
it is. BUt I never judge others on how they spend their money.

I did my wifes hood with a precut sheet of PPF on her Y. Saved a ton. Mainly did it for the experience. And Ive gotten 2 small nicks in the PPF on the hood. So visually speaking, I still have nicks. Whether or not it actually went down to the paint? Not sure. But with PPF, you just have to live with the nicks/seeing them.
If I had no PPF? Ive gotten exceptionally good with lightly sanding the edges of the chip with 2000 grit to smooth it out, then using Dr. Colorchip to apply a dot of touchup next to the chip, then using gloved finger to lightly spread it over/smooth it out. End result is literally 99% impossible to see. And cost WAY less than PPF.

As far as swirls? I rarely if ever get them. I use a foam cannon along with a washmitt constantly soaked in suds as I lightly go in back and forth (never circular) motions and I dry with a leaf blower. Any micro scratches that do occur, are essentially invisible to the eye as the microscratches arent circular.

Once a year I break out the buffer and do the lightest of light/mild paint correction after I claybar. I apply a spray on wax/sealant maybe once every two months.

I end up with high gloss well kept paint for the duration of the cars ownership with me, and I end up selling privately for high prices with the cars showing in "excellent" condition. I've saved thousands by not getting PPF, Ceramic (now its Graphene as latest snake oil) and just doing above

Last edited:
Reactions: MG535
not even close. sorry, its just not. carnuba will last a month or two, three at most, doesn't have near the gloss and not even close in hydrophobicity.
The wax would add just as good of a shine and the hydrophobic nature isn’t really necessary. If you have PPF the ceramic coat or wax on top would be overkill anyways. It’s like getting a vasectomy and wearing a condom.

• Funny
Reactions: quickstrike12
The wax would add just as good of a shine and the hydrophobic nature isn’t really necessary. If you have PPF the ceramic coat or wax on top would be overkill anyways. It’s like getting a vasectomy and wearing a condom.
sorry, but you're wrong. protecting the ppf is necessary, if you want it to keep its gloss and clarity. maintaining it so it keeps its gloss is important in the same way as maintaining paint. why do you think xpel makes a ceramic line to go on top of their ppf.

hydrophobic isn't necessary?? well no, but if you want your vehicle to look better all the time and to be easier to wash then its definitely a benefit. washing isn't necessary either, but most do it.

you find the same info as below from any of the manufacturers.

What Are The Scenarios To Choose XPEL PPF Vs XPEL FUSION PLUS Ceramic Coating?​

The first thing to know is that the two products are not comparable and thus not a true comparison to one another. Paint protection film provides a urethane layer of protection against rock chips and scratches. Ceramic coatings, even when cured, are microns thick and not engineered to stop rock chips. That said, it is an excellent product for protection against environmental contaminates such as bird droppings, bug guts, and more. Not to mention that it makes cleaning off track rubber much easier. To further answer the question – ceramic coatings are for customers who want some basic protection along with increased shine, gloss, depth of color, and great hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties. PPF are for the customers who want actual protection against rock chips and scratches.

What Are The Scenarios One Would Choose Both XPEL PPF & Ceramic Coating?

This combo is extremely common. The car enthusiast is after that best-case scenario type of maintenance. Having PPF and ceramic coating will keep the vehicle protected from rock chips, road debris, and more while having all the benefits of a ceramic coated car. Those benefits being hydrophobic properties, self-cleaning, and an increased gloss and depth appearance.

good luck maintaining your car. i'll not reply again, but please don't spread misinformation. go talk to a reputable ppf installer or contact any manufacturer, none of them would recommend carnuba on top of ppf, it will ruin the hydrophobic properties, and many contain petroleum which is a no-go on ppf, and all would say a ceramic on top of it is beneficial.

sorry, but you're wrong. protecting the ppf is necessary, if you want it to keep its gloss and clarity. maintaining it so it keeps its gloss is important in the same way as maintaining paint. why do you think xpel makes a ceramic line to go on top of their ppf.

hydrophobic isn't necessary?? well no, but if you want your vehicle to look better all the time and to be easier to wash then its definitely a benefit. washing isn't necessary either, but most do it.

you find the same info as below from any of the manufacturers.

What Are The Scenarios To Choose XPEL PPF Vs XPEL FUSION PLUS Ceramic Coating?​

The first thing to know is that the two products are not comparable and thus not a true comparison to one another. Paint protection film provides a urethane layer of protection against rock chips and scratches. Ceramic coatings, even when cured, are microns thick and not engineered to stop rock chips. That said, it is an excellent product for protection against environmental contaminates such as bird droppings, bug guts, and more. Not to mention that it makes cleaning off track rubber much easier. To further answer the question – ceramic coatings are for customers who want some basic protection along with increased shine, gloss, depth of color, and great hydrophobic and self-cleaning properties. PPF are for the customers who want actual protection against rock chips and scratches.

What Are The Scenarios One Would Choose Both XPEL PPF & Ceramic Coating?

This combo is extremely common. The car enthusiast is after that best-case scenario type of maintenance. Having PPF and ceramic coating will keep the vehicle protected from rock chips, road debris, and more while having all the benefits of a ceramic coated car. Those benefits being hydrophobic properties, self-cleaning, and an increased gloss and depth appearance.

good luck maintaining your car. i'll not reply again, but please don't spread misinformation. go talk to a reputable ppf installer or contact any manufacturer, none of them would recommend carnuba on top of ppf, it will ruin the hydrophobic properties, and many contain petroleum which is a no-go on ppf, and all would say a ceramic on top of it is beneficial.
A company that sells one product saying another is necessary as well…..that’s not impartial. You can’t get your info from the company that’s selling the PPF.

Reactions: MG535 and 2101Guy
PPF the front end for around $1500.
Paint correction if you want to bring out the clarity on the paint before PPF/Coating is applied or if marring and swirls bother you - not hard to DYI either
Coating - makes the paint glossy and easier to wash since hydrophobic, but it wont stay that way, coatings can swirl and mar after repeated washing And even quicker with poor technique and gear.
Tint - get it, prices vary depending on brand and type, but get one that reject heat for the glass roof bc it does get hot

I got the Tint and PPF done professionally, and the rest I did at home. Gtechniq CSL Ceramic Coating and EX0V4 Topper was about $200 on amazon. Polisher and compounds I already had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stirthepot
I have a Model S long-range on reservation (now shows Dec/Jan estimated delivery) and this is a car I want to keep for at least 5 years and I'm anal about keeping my cars in good shape. I got a quote from a local shop in Southern California for the following:
- Decontamination & paint correction - $500
- Full PPF (XPEL I believe) - $6,000
- Ceramic coating - $1,000
- Xpel window tint - $1,300

At close to $9,000, that represents 10% of the purchase price of the car. I didn't know what to expect in terms of pricing, but this seems like a very large additional investment. Curious what others have done / recommend in terms of these items. I view the window tint and ceramic as "nice to have" and not a must.
Ceramic coating and paint correction $1000

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-
My MS is now past threes years. I did PPF on the front and ceramic coat. The nicks I've gotten have left tears in the PPF and cannot be repaired. The ceramic looks good, but regular care comes close. I will not do either again.

My MS is now past threes years. I did PPF on the front and ceramic coat. The nicks I've gotten have left tears in the PPF and cannot be repaired. The ceramic looks good, but regular care comes close. I will not do either again.
How is the paint under the PPF? If the paint is still good then the PPF served its purpose. If you did not do PPF you would likely have significant chips in your paint that you do not have now.

The paint is nicked, and yes the film protected the paint. But as has been pointed out, once you get the hang of touch-ups, its not a big deal. Sadly interstate driving is gong to take its toll. I keep telling myself its only a car, its only a car.