Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint correction prior to PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!!
Getting my refreshed model 3 this Friday in Vancouver and had a question.

Do I need paint correction on a new model 3 prior to PPF application? (Car is black)

I was hoping to spread out the spending however I have heard the paint is really terrible and that I need to PPF right away.

I’m thinking in the long run PPF entire car, coil overs, Aodhan wheels and good ceramic tint.

Hi everyone!!
Getting my refreshed model 3 this Friday in Vancouver and had a question.

Do I need paint correction on a new model 3 prior to PPF application? (Car is black)

I was hoping to spread out the spending however I have heard the paint is really terrible and that I need to PPF right away.

I’m thinking in the long run PPF entire car, coil overs, Aodhan wheels and good ceramic tint.

It really depends on the condition of the paint. I suggest looking over the paint very carefully in bright sunlight. If you see any swirls, scratches, or marring at all, then at a minimum polishing would be needed. A full on correction with a compound may be necessary if the marks on the paint are not removed with a polish. Just remember, whatever condition your paint is in as the PPF is laid down, that is what you are going to see for as long as the PPF is there, which is likely to be many years.

I opted not to do Xpel / protection on my vehicle. It's been about 4 years and there are some chips here and there but nothing major. But mine being a model S has reported less paint issues. I was was quoted almost $5,000 by a local shop here. In a few years I will be getting my vehicle re-painted for just a little more than the paint protection / Xpel.

Here's some information I found online for cost's
For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 – $2,195. For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 – $8,000.

The question you have to answer is. Do you want to spend thousands protecting a cheap paint-job? JM2C

Unless there is damage that will show through the film or the client is OCD, there are few reasons to polish before applying it. One, paint protection film is 8-10mils ( not to be confused with mm ) thick and will easily hide light swirls. In fact, you could wash a black hood with a green Scotchbrite scrubbie and the damage will not show through. Two, because ppf is so thick ( comparatively speaking ), even a ridiculous amount of polishing will be dumbed down by the film. Polishing will have very little, if any effect on the final look. Three, even if someone is careful, there is pretty much no way to remove film without marring the surface to some extent, necessitating polishing afterwards. It's your money, but after ten years of installing film, I've never had a client complain about how we do it.

Unless there is damage that will show through the film or the client is OCD, there are few reasons to polish before applying it. One, paint protection film is 8-10mils ( not to be confused with mm ) thick and will easily hide light swirls. In fact, you could wash a black hood with a green Scotchbrite scrubbie and the damage will not show through. Two, because ppf is so thick ( comparatively speaking ), even a ridiculous amount of polishing will be dumbed down by the film. Polishing will have very little, if any effect on the final look. Three, even if someone is careful, there is pretty much no way to remove film without marring the surface to some extent, necessitating polishing afterwards. It's your money, but after ten years of installing film, I've never had a client complain about how we do it.

You sound like a very experienced installer and I don't doubt that for the vast majority of your customers polishing may not be necessary. However, my installer told me the same thing, that the film (and the adhesive used to bind the film to the car) would hide swirls. And it is true that as long as the car is not in bright light, I cannot see any swirls. However, when the car is in bright sunlight, I can definitely see swirl marks. Is it the end of the world? Of course not. But I thought I would have a completely swirl free car for years. If either the installer or I had done even a basic polishing before installation, it would have made a visible difference. And for the OP's situation, his Telsa is black, which IMO is even more likely to show minor swirls.