TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Paint curing time before application of clear bra?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by napabill, Mar 3, 2015.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Napa, California, United States
    I just had my hood repainted after repair to a couple of rock dents from the interstate. I have been told that I should allow the repainted area to cure prior to applying a SunTec wrap of the front of the car. Any thoughts on how long to allow for the "curing?"
  2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Sep 2, 2014
    Southern Connecticut
    There are a lot of schools of thought on this.... many paint manufacturers say not to place any wax or sealant on their finishes within the first 30 days after painting.
    They discuss "out-gassing" and the need for the paint to fully cure.

I would suggest you contact the repair shop and have them look at the paint manufacturers guidelines for the paint they applied to your S.
  3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

Feb 3, 2015
    Atlanta, GA.
    The paint leaves the factory ready for film or a coating. Factory paint is baked at over 350 degrees for an extended period of time and is cured when it leaves. Your local body shop may "bake" paint around 125-145 degrees for 15-30 minutes and then allow it to leave. Sometimes it's baked for far less time at a lower temperature. This is where the need to wait for it to cure comes into play.