Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint damage during service centre visit - Tesla will disregard ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla damaged our bonnet during a recent service visit to replace the windscreen - they chipped the trailing edge of the bonnet in at least 4 places. Tesla have agreed to fix this, but the car will be sent away to their body shop.

As our car has been ceramic coated, I was concerned with how the repair will be undertaken. I don't mind a localised invisible touch up, in fact that is my preference. But if a full respray of the bonnet is undertaken, then I am not so happy as Tesla refuse to put the car back to the state it was in prior to them doing the work as it has third party products, ie ceramic coat, on the paint.

To add to this, Tesla's attitude comes across as 'not our problem as you added third party coating' and of course, in typical Tesla fashion, you then get stonewalled. All it requires is them being open to discussion as to how the work will be undertaken.

Does anyone have any experience of how Tesla bodyshops undertake this sort of work - ie full respray or touch-up?

Does anyone actually know who the bodyshop is for Tesla Brooklands so I can discuss it direct with them?

Chips to trailing edge of the bonnet (and wiper arm also damaged) attached.

upload_2020-7-22_9-30-27.png upload_2020-7-22_9-33-19.png upload_2020-7-22_9-31-16.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and hcdavis3
There's no way they're going to respray the bonnet for that. They will just touch it up. To be honest, you could touch it up yourself with a ChipEx kit in ~30 minutes and probably do just as good a job if not better. Wiper arm mark is trickier of course.

I'm kinda on the fence about the whole ceramic coat thing. I can see Tesla's point (would be even worse for them if it had PPF), but at the same time they were the ones that caused the damage and it was avoidable with the appropriate level of care.

Reactions: ringi and CyberGus
Yep. It was when they said that they would send it to a body shop that alarm bells rang. It was originally set up as a ranger visit who I understand can undertake smart paint repairs.

As earlier in post, localised touch up is my preferred method. But if they end up wanting to respray a significant part of the bonnet, as they were negligent, I don't think its unreasonable for them to put it back to the state that they received the car in.

As to level of care during that visit, on refitting the Teslacam media card fitted to underside of the phone flap, I found it covered in mud scrapes! They had to dismantle the centre console to replace a failed USB hub, but I can only imagine that they did it outside and just stacked everything up on the ground. Hardly a level or care that one would expect.

Reactions: CMc1
Mobile service (Midlands) told me they can't do any paint. As I'm booked into Brum to get it done now.

Vanilla, I'm with you on the ceramic coating, there is no reason I can see why the bonnet should have been damaged during work unless not handled correctly.
Though from my experience you will not likely get anywhere with Tesla. They might give you some merch or something if you moan/ask but even then maybe not.

Hopefully won't be a respray

There's no way they're going to respray the bonnet for that. They will just touch it up. To be honest, you could touch it up yourself with a ChipEx kit in ~30 minutes and probably do just as good a job if not better. Wiper arm mark is trickier of course.

I'm kinda on the fence about the whole ceramic coat thing. I can see Tesla's point (would be even worse for them if it had PPF), but at the same time they were the ones that caused the damage and it was avoidable with the appropriate level of care.
They might respray the whole area if the body shop says they have too. I would put it in the hands of your insurance no question if they suggest respray. The problem is Tesla will do it first without asking your permission like happened to me. Rear wing is not even gloss looks like its been done with a spray can!

Reactions: NigelT
They’re minor chips and in an area not massively visible. Without doubt it’s Tesla’s fault, but to de-risk the whole thing (and not invite further hassle) I’d personally touch it in myself. Or failing that get the Tesla approved body shop to do it.

I’d run a mile from a full bonnet respray as they’ll also have to blow that over the wings to blend, and I’d want the factory paintwork left as is.

Reactions: M3noob and Durzel
They’re minor chips and in an area not massively visible. Without doubt it’s Tesla’s fault, but to de-risk the whole thing (and not invite further hassle) I’d personally touch it in myself. Or failing that get the Tesla approved body shop to do it.

I’d run a mile from a full bonnet respray as they’ll also have to blow that over the wings to blend, and I’d want the factory paintwork left as is.
+1

On the basis that you will likely have no control or be kept in the loop with what is happening with the car, what Tesla tells the bodyshop to do, etc.. and the fact it is very minor damage and you expressely don't want them to respray the bonnet (and thus cost you more money to get it re-ceramic coated, which you wouldn't be able to do for quite a while anyway while it cures) I would just bite the bullet, buy a ChipEx kit - the colour match is spot on - and do it yourself.

From what I've read it's pretty idiot proof, and since it's your car you'll be able to take as much time on it as you want, which a bodyshop is certainly not going to do.

Reactions: M3noob and mrkwats
All sorted. Happy with the repair.

Course of action agreed at start of service visit - an unprompted apology (tbh, that was all that was required and acknowledgement that car was damaged) and localised repair. A few other things on the list as well.

Collected car a week later (usual thing, parts slow to obtain), whilst wiper blade replaced, chips not repaired so pointed out. Very apologetic, gave option to do whilst we waited or leave car with them. Decided to wait. Paint chap came and took a look, no problems, but might not be absolutely perfect. We went for a very short walk and by time we had got back, all done except don't touch for 2 hours. Looked fine.

Closer look a few days later and you wouldn't know. So worked out in the end.