Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
514CF602-B94F-425F-8928-7C3B59B05596.jpeg

I bought my MY in October. In December, having read a bunch of posts about PPF, I bought the Tesla kit for the rear door. Unfortunately by the time I got it we were in deepest winter and it was too cold to apply. Finally got back to the car this week, cleaned off the winter grime and found this. I was absolutely horrified! Driven on normal roads, some salted in winter but nothing I haven’t seen in a number of years. Never had a problem like this before, with a number of AWD cars.
Anyone had a similar experience? Worth talking to the dealer?

The Model Y requires front mud flaps and the PPF for the rear doors to minimize this type of damage.
I had the OEM front mud flaps on for the last couple of months of winter, actually purchasing them took some time because of supply issues. I guess my biggest problem is that for a 60K car I would expect better paint and a better underfloor design that eliminates this kind of thing.

View attachment 670298
I bought my MY in October. In December, having read a bunch of posts about PPF, I bought the Tesla kit for the rear door. Unfortunately by the time I got it we were in deepest winter and it was too cold to apply. Finally got back to the car this week, cleaned off the winter grime and found this. I was absolutely horrified! Driven on normal roads, some salted in winter but nothing I haven’t seen in a number of years. Never had a problem like this before, with a number of AWD cars.
Anyone had a similar experience? Worth talking to the dealer?
Everyone with Model Y experiences this. The dealer will likely do nothing for you. If it really bothers you, get either those sections or the entire doors resprayed and then add PPF. I suggest not buying the Tesla kit and have a PPF shop apply a larger custom piece.

It's not a paint issue, it's not a design "flaw". Many, many cars have this same flare in front of the rear wheel opening, and some come from the factory with PPF strips strategically placed.

It's a road debris issue. Front mudflaps help some, but PPF on the door flares is critical. jcanoe is correct, Tesla is starting to market Canadian cars with the PPF. This might very well open then up to a perception of liability for those that were sold w/o PPF. No guarantees, of course.

That pic is pretty bad. I too bought the PPF earlier this year and it was too cold to apply in Feb plus the snow, ice and salt. Put it on in the spring and noticed a few minor nicks in the paint after cleaning the areas really well. Not as bad as your picture however.

(Advertising: Ads with cars on the beach, blasting through snow drifts, off-roading at high speed. I'd love to see any of those vehicles after several takes of filming.)

Tesla needs to man-up and provide the PPF...period. They should also install it, retroactively, free of charge.

I have the same problem on my black MY. It’s too late for ppf. I am actually interesting in finding some black tinted ppf that would somewhat match the black color of my car, as to cover the scratches, prevent new ones, and not stick out to the eye too much. Wondering if anything like that is available.