Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint damaged at Tesla but they are refusing to fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure whatever you say....or maybe the damage occured some other way...just speculation as we dont have both sides of the story

So either the OP is lying and those are not the SC’s scratches and touch-ups (in which case, what else would we expect him to tell us?) or those were indeed caused by the SC and were touched up in the manner seen in the original picture, in which case there’s also nothing to add beyond the fact that they did a piss-poor job, irrespective of what they may or may not have told the OP.

Why in the world would anyone seek to defend such shoddy work? Don’t we all want nice cars, built and serviced properly?

Reactions: super20g
So either the OP is lying and those are not the SC’s scratches and touch-ups (in which case, what else would we expect him to tell us?) or those were indeed caused by the SC and were touched up in the manner seen in the original picture, in which case there’s also nothing to add beyond the fact that they did a piss-poor job, irrespective of what they may or may not have told the OP.

Why in the world would anyone seek to defend such shoddy work? Don’t we all want nice cars, built and serviced properly?
How is that defending anything? Just because we want to hear both sides of the story. How are we to know that the damage wasnt caused by the OP prior to his visit to the SC? We dont know because weve only heard one side. Do you believe everyone even though you don't know them? If so I've got some beautiful property with a view to sell you.

In the surgical world there is a saying..."better is the enemy of good". Surgeons put their Ego aside and do a workman like job of fixing the body. Often doing last second tweeks to make it perfect ends up causing disaster.

Sounds like some of your issues and aggravations were caused when you returned your pretty good car to service to address little things.
During the fixes they caused additional damage while doing so.

This is one of the risks of taking something that is OK and demanding that they make it perfect.

Not saying that your requests were not justified. A new car should be in great shape upon delivery, but the reality is that it is not always so. When pursuing getting things reworked there is some risk that it could be made even worse.

Hope they get you straightened out, but like others I would not pursue getting a little paint issue in the lower part of the interior of the door, where nobody will see it any way redone. Better to be out enjoying the ride. Everyone wants perfection, but spending a lot of aggravation trying to get it is perhaps unrewarding.

Reactions: tvad
This was the Burlingame service center in the bay area. The service manager had a smirk on his face and said "we painted that door before so we will not paint it again. Your problem."
EVERY interaction I've had with them has been awful - luckily I never let them touch my car. I've driven 30 minutes to Palo Alto sc b/c I don't trust them (and btw it was a 3 week delay to get an apt at Burlingame but next week when I switched to PA)
Would your case qualify under the lemon law (based on how long you've had it and how long you've been able to use it)?

Probably not lemon law if most of the issues were only cosmetic.

Yes he is focusing on cosmetic but if it was new
"Sunroof cracked while fixing door alignment. Paint damages on passenger door. Loose screw in the passenger door. Damaged passenger window while repairing the passenger door. Huge scratch after bringing my car to the service center. Cracked leather steering wheel." It seems that a cracked sunroof, passenger window could be safety/unable to drive type issues. Poster says didn't have car 80% of time so I thought it might be new.

Only way to know for sure is to file a claim. Seems like the car was in pretty good shape when he took delivery, but multiple cosmetic requests have caused more problems than they resolved.

Item like "loose screw in the passenger door" might just be an easy owner fix, instead of taking it into a service center. Don't know what a lemon law decision might be...worth a shot.

Sounds like some of your issues and aggravations were caused when you returned your pretty good car to service to address little things. During the fixes they caused additional damage while doing so.

This is one of the risks of taking something that is OK and demanding that they make it perfect.

Not saying that your requests were not justified. A new car should be in great shape upon delivery, but the reality is that it is not always so. When pursuing getting things reworked there is some risk that it could be made even worse.

Not OP but that is exactly why I documented out of spec conditions and asked that we work out a deal with software goodwill or something to leave the car alone, because I didn't want to end up swallowed up by the tesla service meat grinder... They actually took offense to me asking to work something out like I was trying to strong arm them... So I had them address the documented out of spec conditions. Car has been in service twice now, 2nd time to fix stuff they messed up or didn't do the first time... 2nd visit is at 6+ weeks in service now... It has lead to a lot of repaint, replaced parts and adjustments, the high voltage battery pack being replaced, etc. They have to be waaaay upside down on the car now... Now I have a new car that has been reworked in a lot of ways, will probably require more service visits, and Tesla has lost money yet again. Ugh.

Last edited:
this thread makes me want to cancel my scheduled service to have them address a dull spot in my paint (that they did not fix after the first visit)
If the spot is one of those common golf ball size hazy spots leftover from delivery, then you can easily rub out that spot in five minutes using Meguire's Polish or Meguire's Ultimate Compound.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: zyzz