Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint defect? Spots on every panels!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I took delivery of my Model S 90D 1 week ago, during the delivery i've noticed these spots and DS advised that these spots are "polishable" so its safe to take delivery first and they will re-polish the car for me once the service center is less occupied.

Since I am planning to do coating anyways i brought the car to my detailer, told them to focus and see if they can take off those spots while prepping the car for coating. They then try to polish those spots off but they become more apparent!

Then we realise that the spots are inside the paint. (Pls check the attachments below)
1st - Left rear fender
2nd - right top above the b pillar
3) - right rear fender
4) - right rear fender

The service center said that this maybe a paint issue and they would repaint the whole car for me, which I havent accept because this is a huge defect from the factory.

I would be fine if there are only spots in 1-2 panels and happy for them to just repaint it..But my car has these spots aon EVERY single panel.

Any thoughts on the dots and does anyone have these spots?

Attachments

• 17622171_10154459099287503_345844938_o.jpg
    17622171_10154459099287503_345844938_o.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 17668683_10154459100767503_1149180013_o.jpg
    17668683_10154459100767503_1149180013_o.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 742
  • 17571728_10154459099297503_199041790_o.jpg
    17571728_10154459099297503_199041790_o.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 718
  • 17692765_10154459099302503_790612844_o.jpg
    17692765_10154459099302503_790612844_o.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 753
Repaint whole car outside of a factory full job before assembling? Are they kidding? Unless you don't plan on buying (lease), don't give a crap, and they give a solid residual on trade in that accounts for this mess MAYBE, but I would refuse.

Being as you are in Hong Kong, I wonder how the cars are shipped? Do they load them in containers or are they just driven on auto transporter boats like other manufacturers when they ship from Europe to the United States. Just seeing Teslas being delivered on trucks across the US, I am bit surprised on the minimal wrapping that they have for protection.

Depending on how its shipped, I could see lots of opportunities for contamination during its journey across the sea. Especially soft, fresh factory paint.

Tesla paint is very soft and quality is more like Maaco and less like Mercedes. I think they skimp on clear coat. Even if they make you another car you will still have paint defects. Accept that Tesla quality is below the price you are paying.

If you look closely, you will see it's not just the paint that is bad. Look at door seals etc and you will realize the substandard build quality overall. It's the price you pay to be on the cutting edge of electric vehicle technology.

Reactions: swgdan
Don't accept a respray

Tesla paint is very soft and quality is more like Maaco and less like Mercedes. I think they skimp on clear coat. Even if they make you another car you will still have paint defects. Accept that Tesla quality is below the price you are paying.

If you look closely, you will see it's not just the paint that is bad. Look at door seals etc and you will realize the substandard build quality overall. It's the price you pay to be on the cutting edge of electric vehicle technology.

I don't agree, not every car has paint issues.

get a good magnifying glass; zoom camera or usb microscope and take a close up look at the spots to see if they are paint or something else.

I have seen this type of thing when a car has come out of a repair shop when overspray has landed on it when they have been working on another car. Perhaps yours had a minor mark on it from shipping damage (does happen) and the paint shop allowed it to be contaminated from another job?

He took the car to a detailer. Assuming the detailer is even halfway decent, a clay bar would have been something that was tried. Would a detailer really look at a potential paint contaminant the customer specifically asked them to investigate and not try a clay bar or other iron remover?

Hi FH90D, I think I am seeing the same problem but most on the paint side of both side view mirrors and a few spots on the hood. I have a red 90D as well that was delivered in March 2017. See the attached images. Did you ever get this resolved?

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 616
California law requires low VOC paint, until Tesla decides to start painting their cars out of state, we will continue to have $hit paint jobs. Sorry to the OP, but paint defects are "normal" for Tesla. Refuse the car and hope for the best, perhaps this kind of behavior will send a message to Tesla about the lack of quality they have been putting out for the price lately.

California law requires low VOC paint, until Tesla decides to start painting their cars out of state, we will continue to have $hit paint jobs. Sorry to the OP, but paint defects are "normal" for Tesla. Refuse the car and hope for the best, perhaps this kind of behavior will send a message to Tesla about the lack of quality they have been putting out for the price lately.

Ironic how you start your statement blaming California, and end your statement blaming Tesla. Most everything low VOC is reduced quality, but that's the price we pay for being "green". The Earth thanks you... your paint job, not so much.

The red paint is the worst... Tesla had to rebuild my car due to paint issues. The Tri-coat metallic flakes do not all lay down and protrude through the clear coat. This cannot be 'buffed out'. After they were going to repaint half of the car, they decided to just rebuild. The rebuild also had issues, but less, so I accepted it after it also went to the body shop.

My Almost delivery in North Houston today - 2nd build

Good luck

Ironic how you start your statement blaming California, and end your statement blaming Tesla. Most everything low VOC is reduced quality, but that's the price we pay for being "green". The Earth thanks you... your paint job, not so much.

I can blame them both right? My car has been plagued with issues unrelated to whatever state they choose to do business in, the paint is a direct effect of MFG in California. Show me low VOC paintjobs on any other production line car from another MFG...