Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint defects at delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah....Tesla's Model 3 "problems" as a percent of their delivered cars is very small and in some cases nits.

In any event, I've just come to realize that you're just on here to troll negatively.

btw: I hope you're on BMW's forums railing about the fires on their vehicles: TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable & Porsche, Audi & VW about poisonous cadmium in their cars which might cause a recall of 124K of cars: 124,000 electric and PHEV cars from VW, Audi and Porsche could be recalled due to poisonous cadmium.

My own experience with my wife's Porsche Macan is that there have been 3 major recalls since owning including two that took a year to resolve: dangerous air bag & fuel valve fire risk.

I have no interest in owning any of those vehicles over the next several years. I do exist on Ford and Jeep forums FYI. I'm not sure how 'Customers should not accept shoddy work from any company.' is some sort of troll attack on Tesla. Even the super fanboys who are waiting in drop off lines for service agree that things are getting missed in QC that shouldn't. When I was a kid, my parents special ordered a suburban. They came home with the same vehicle. Apparently this blue suburban had red paint mist on the hood and in other areas. My dad complained, when they tried to push it on him he got his deposit back and left. good lesson

My model x had more then a few painting defects (hairs in the paint, scuffs scratches etc) a lot 50% of the car was repainted and now 8 weeks in the proces still issues with the paint. (not to mention al of the technical issues)

But I would ask them to fix it is should be done. but your car will be in the shop for a while.

If your'e on this forum and say anything negative toward Tesla your considered a troll, coming from folks with their heads so far up Elon's a$$ they can't get it out.
Well I have about 845 positive ratings and 324 negative ratings. Right about where it should be. If I had 1,000 thumbs up and no negatives, that would be a bummer cause it means I'm just in the conga line of people patting each other on the back. Blah!

Most of us are not saying that he isn’t entitled to receive a new paint job. Some of us are telling him to ask him for it. Some of us are saying “it sucks, but them fixing it may be more inconvenient than leaving it alone” I don’t think any of us are saying to take it up the *** and deal with it. But be careful about asking them to do too much. Who knows how it will turn out. Make a very calculated decision before asking them to fix it.

An example, I just got done with remodeling my kitchen. A few pieces of wood trim were a tad crooked and there were a few small gaps where the wood intersects to make edges. I asked them to fix it because after spending $75k, I figure I should have things perfect. Well they ended up screwing up something that was pretty good, and made it worse. I asked for them to replace cabinet doors that were a little warped. I got a new set of doors but the grain didn’t match because it was from a different batch of wood. Needless to say, I kept the old, slightly defective doors because they still looked better.

Most things in this world have defects. You need to learn how to pick your battles. Sometimes fighting hard to get something based on principle (I paid $XXX I deserve perfect!) will yield you with something worse off when you started. It’s not just this car. It’s just about everything in life. The more I make and the more I spend, I’ve realized that while it’s okay to expect perfect, settling somewhere above average but less than perfect will make you overall happier and enable you to look past a few defects and enjoy things for what they are.

In the case of the repaint, unless they repaint the entire care, there’s a very real risk that the paint is going to look different between panels. Is that worth it? Only the OP can decide.

Edit: Also, in the case of my kitchen, I don’t even see them anymore! They were in hard-to-see locations and once I was done with a thorough inspection, I don’t notice any defects that I pointed out. IMO same thing with the car. Definitely have them fix the things that bother you! But if it’s one of those things that you aren’t really going to notice, then maybe it’s best to let it go

sorry to hear your experience. hope tesla makes things right. even if so, it still doesn't make up for the fact you have do deal with this sh*t in the first place. if they really need to repaint everything, i'd ask for a new damn car.

Reactions: Teslie
Most of us are not saying that he isn’t entitled to receive a new paint job. Some of us are telling him to ask him for it. Some of us are saying “it sucks, but them fixing it may be more inconvenient than leaving it alone” I don’t think any of us are saying to take it up the *** and deal with it. But be careful about asking them to do too much. Who knows how it will turn out. Make a very calculated decision before asking them to fix it.

An example, I just got done with remodeling my kitchen. A few pieces of wood trim were a tad crooked and there were a few small gaps where the wood intersects to make edges. I asked them to fix it because after spending $75k, I figure I should have things perfect. Well they ended up screwing up something that was pretty good, and made it worse. I asked for them to replace cabinet doors that were a little warped. I got a new set of doors but the grain didn’t match because it was from a different batch of wood. Needless to say, I kept the old, slightly defective doors because they still looked better.

Most things in this world have defects. You need to learn how to pick your battles. Sometimes fighting hard to get something based on principle (I paid $XXX I deserve perfect!) will yield you with something worse off when you started. It’s not just this car. It’s just about everything in life. The more I make and the more I spend, I’ve realized that while it’s okay to expect perfect, settling somewhere above average but less than perfect will make you overall happier and enable you to look past a few defects and enjoy things for what they are.

In the case of the repaint, unless they repaint the entire care, there’s a very real risk that the paint is going to look different between panels. Is that worth it? Only the OP can decide.

Edit: Also, in the case of my kitchen, I don’t even see them anymore! They were in hard-to-see locations and once I was done with a thorough inspection, I don’t notice any defects that I pointed out. IMO same thing with the car. Definitely have them fix the things that bother you! But if it’s one of those things that you aren’t really going to notice, then maybe it’s best to let it go
Problem is on a car, once you see it, you can't unsee it. you look at it every time you walk by and kick yourself for not doing something about it. When I picked up my truck, the outside was perfection... the inside was as well except for one small scrape on the armrest/lid between the seats. Probably happened when they were cleaning it up. can't fix it. Oh well, I'm going to add many more scrapes, and dirt, and so on. 100k luxury vehicle with known QC issues is a good battle to pick IMHO.

Reactions: P85_DA
I do exist on Ford and Jeep forums FYI

How do you rate Ford and Jeep QC? I've owned a few Fords over the years (Euro models) and they were all pretty cheap build quality, but drove okay if completely bland and devoid of any interest other than getting from A to B. Never owned a Jeep, but driven a few and found them pretty crude and dated. They never fare well in any European group tests either. A Tesla is in a totally different league, regardless of ongoing QC issues. They could certainly do better on QC, especially before handover, but the cars themselves are amazing to drive. No Ford I've driven has ever come remotely close to the Model X in that respect. In fact I just spent 10 days in a brand new Ford hire car while on holiday and it was like stepping back a whole century! Maybe the panel gaps and paint were perfect (I didn't check), but it was still a turd regardless, lol.

How do you rate Ford and Jeep QC? I've owned a few Fords over the years (Euro models) and they were all pretty cheap build quality, but drove okay if completely bland and devoid of any interest other than getting from A to B. Never owned a Jeep, but driven a few and found them pretty crude and dated. They never fare well in any European group tests either. A Tesla is in a totally different league, regardless of ongoing QC issues. They could certainly do better on QC, especially before handover, but the cars themselves are amazing to drive. No Ford I've driven has ever come remotely close to the Model X in that respect. In fact I just spent 10 days in a brand new Ford hire car while on holiday and it was like stepping back a whole century! Maybe the panel gaps and paint were perfect (I didn't check), but it was still a turd regardless, lol.

Drive quality is waaaay down my list. I want capability and durability. I use my truck a lot... for truck stuff. I'm probably the only tie wearing guy in the building that has a 60k truck in the parking garage with dirt on the bumper and a half yard of mulch in the back. Only had 1 issue with my F150s and that was fixed same day. Came to realize that this vehicle is Ford's lifeblood and they will go a long way to keep em rolling. These trucks aren't exactly neanderthallish anymore. I have heated/cooled & massaging seats. Voice commands are fantastic.

As for the Jeep, they always rank low in ride quality, but Jeep still sells the sh-t out of them. Not a fan of their current user interface, now that is dated. They are all about capability. I have a long sloping driveway through the woods that likes to collect snow. The family can always get out if necessary. Jeep has that cool factor too. My wife looked at all of the luxury suvs, but in the end wanted the heavy duty 4x4. That's pretty awesome. :)

Drive quality is waaaay down my list. I want capability and durability. I use my truck a lot... for truck stuff. I'm probably the only tie wearing guy in the building that has a 60k truck in the parking garage with dirt on the bumper and a half yard of mulch in the back. Only had 1 issue with my F150s and that was fixed same day. Came to realize that this vehicle is Ford's lifeblood and they will go a long way to keep em rolling. These trucks aren't exactly neanderthallish anymore. I have heated/cooled & massaging seats. Voice commands are fantastic.

As for the Jeep, they always rank low in ride quality, but Jeep still sells the sh-t out of them. Not a fan of their current user interface, now that is dated. They are all about capability. I have a long sloping driveway through the woods that likes to collect snow. The family can always get out if necessary. Jeep has that cool factor too. My wife looked at all of the luxury suvs, but in the end wanted the heavy duty 4x4. That's pretty awesome. :)

None of this stuff ^ has much appeal on this side of the pond. I can fully understand the utility value of a truck, but I wouldn't put that much cash into one! You say it's not "neanderthallish" but sure looks like it to me. Looks truly hideous from the outside and the interior looks like an awkward mixture of Airfix quality plastic and cheap leather. Sorry not for me at all, but this is a Tesla forum afterall, lol!

None of this stuff ^ has much appeal on this side of the pond. I can fully understand the utility value of a truck, but I wouldn't put that much cash into one! You say it's not "neanderthallish" but sure looks like it to me. Looks truly hideous from the outside and the interior looks like an awkward mixture of Airfix quality plastic and cheap leather. Sorry not for me at all, but this is a Tesla forum afterall, lol!

Neanderthallish depends on the truck. Can't complain about the feel of the leather.
Press the round control on the side of the seat and it massages your backside. I actually get compliments from valets. Course
that is a good way to get a better tip...
ford-f150-interior-pictures-interior-design-simple-ford-f-150-limited-interior-design-ideas-of-ford-f150-interior.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Teslie and P85_DA
OK have a service appointment at Mt Kisco for 8/16 - they will supply a loaner. Have given them three things that need to be addressed

1. 2 x paint defects
2. Steering is out of alignment - is about 10 degrees offset to left when car is driving straight
3. Driver and passenger windows seem very tight against the rubber seals. Go up very slow, and squeak when they are wet. Something I have read about on other post in this forum.

Reactions: Barklikeadog
OK have a service appointment at Mt Kisco for 8/16 - they will supply a loaner. Have given them three things that need to be addressed

1. 2 x paint defects
2. Steering is out of alignment - is about 10 degrees offset to left when car is driving straight
3. Driver and passenger windows seem very tight against the rubber seals. Go up very slow, and squeak when they are wet. Something I have read about on other post in this forum.
Hope they take care of it. Did you say 10 degrees?! :confused:

1. 2 x paint defects

May I ask, where were your 2 paint defects located? What was the defect? What color is your vehicle?

1. 2 x paint defects

Mine has #3. What's the cause and fix?