Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint dripping onto ground under front bumper?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20200404_114714.jpg
IMG_20200404_114728.jpg
IMG_20200404_114732.jpg
OK, this is a new one.....
After going on a walk this morning, I return to nice a blue-tinted puddle underneath the front left side of the bumper, just forward of the left front wheel well.... See pictures for detail. I ran my finger gently over the area and get a nice, sparkly paint on my finger! Anyone else have anything like this happen??? I bought the car in Nov 2018 and have never had any leaking paint before today. It's parked in the same driveway whenever I'm home, and it's rained many times before without issues.
As a side note the car IS front end wrapped with 3M paint protection film - which should cover that spot. I'll also ask my installer if he has any advice and post that info here if he has any insights.
Thanks in advance for any help, Tesla friends!

Last edited:
I've refilled my washer fluid quite a few times since I bought it, but I HAVE recently added a RainX Washer Additive, which is pink/orange in color. It just seemed strange that the fluid/paint/colored substance seemed to be above the bottom of the bumper area, with no signs of having leaked from above. This is a stumper, and the puddle is so blue. No such leaking or drips on any other part of the car.

Most bizarre thing ever. The battery coolant (maybe a drive unit leak?) is blue....but that really does look like the blue metallic paint! LOL, I refuse to believe that your paint is spontaneously liquefying :)

Is the fluid watery or greasy?

If it was me, first thing I'd do is call the service center. Assuming you don't need to use your car right now, just put it in the garage or whatever. If you have some freetime, pull apart the frunk a bit and you may be able to find the source of your leak.Or, turn your wheel all the way to the left and pull off the fender liner to get a look (if it is dripping from behind there).

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlyErik and Shateam
Well this one stumps me, I have never seen any fluid yet that would match even close to that for a vehicle. But I haven't had much experience yet with the different types of fluids on a Tesla, maybe they have something this colour for one of their systems or components I'm not aware of.

Your paint would not be suddenly melting though, there has to be a logical explanation. As asked earlier how did the fluid fill on your fingers. What did it smell like? May sound odd, but did you taste it?

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I'm reasonably sure that's coolant for the battery. If your batteries overheat, the car will shut down and it will shorten the life of your battery pack. If I were you, I'd schedule service today and not drive it until it's fixed.

Best,

Reactions: jpfive
What’s it taste like? (Just seeing if we have a Darwin Award in the making).

are you screwing with us? Or serious? You know it’s not april 1st still.

If you’re serious, I concur with those above, assume it’s coolant until proven otherwise.

What’s it taste like? (Just seeing if we have a Darwin Award in the making).

are you screwing with us? Or serious? You know it’s not april 1st still.

If you’re serious, I concur with those above, assume it’s coolant until proven otherwise.

So you've obviously never tasted coolant before. Probably just about everyone working in an automotive trade and several mechanically inclined individuals as well would know the taste. It's a quick test to aid in diagnosis as the type of glycol used in antifreeze tastes sweet.

Nobody is expecting him to fill up a glass and drink it. A dab on your tongue isn't much worse then what was already on his finger. Unless of course the OP lives in California. Apparently everything causes cancer in the state of California from what I read

So you've obviously never tasted coolant before. Probably just about everyone working in an automotive trade and several mechanically inclined individuals as well would know the taste. It's a quick test to aid in diagnosis as the type of glycol used in antifreeze tastes sweet.

Nobody is expecting him to fill up a glass and drink it. A dab on your tongue isn't much worse then what was already on his finger. Unless of course the OP lives in California. Apparently everything causes cancer in the state of California from what I read
Apparently you’ve never read sarcasm before...Some people.

But I don’t make a habit of consuming random liquids...maybe you do? It would explain a lot.