Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint flaws in new model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fine. So, as you previously stated, that would account for the many owners who are silent on the subject.

And it does not discount the fact that the paint quality is still crap in 2022 as evidenced by the many people who do care, along with professional paint shops that have examined sample vehicles.

Thanks for proving my point.
No, that would account for the point that few people are as hypercritical as you. And paint shops are paid to be hypercritical to sell their services.
Your paint quality conjecture hasn't been supported by much current posting on TMC, on Reddit, on any of the primary Telsa fanboi blogs.
And YT is notorious for sober fact-finding. The paint quality isn't the issue it once was. Not even close.
There will always be edge cases and people looking to confirm their attitudes.
Time to bury the hatchet job you're attempting. You haven't generated much support on this site, and it can be blunt.

No, that would account for the point that few people are as hypercritical as you. And paint shops are paid to be hypercritical to sell their services.
Your paint quality conjecture hasn't been supported by much current posting on TMC, on Reddit, on any of the primary Telsa fanboi blogs.
And YT is notorious for sober fact-finding. The paint quality isn't the issue it once was. Not even close.
There will always be edge cases and people looking to confirm their attitudes.
Time to bury the hatchet job you're attempting. You haven't generated much support on this site, and it can be blunt.
Again, your disconnect with reality is readily apparent. Check my reaction score vs. yours.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA and CaseyL
The absurdity of any critical, all-inclusive statement, about any manufacturer, is exactly that. Absurd.

I had 2 Ford hybrids, both were wonderful cars, but both had 12v battery drain issues. I would never conclude that ALL Ford hybrids have 12v battery drain issues.

This entire thread has become a real joke. Paint issues? Sure. Universal to ALL Teslas? Nope.

I just had my 2022 wrapped in PPF . I had 4,000 miles on it. Prior to wrap I had 4 tiny area where paint chipped off mostly top of hood and one on rear passenger door. Front if car had some craters from impacts but no paint chipped off. Highly recommend getting at least front PPF and rear passenger doors as rocks ejected from front tires can hit there. Also headlights. I however went full body to ease cleaning a bit.
Just booked my full ppf for mid June. Hopefully I can hold off any further scratches or chips until then. An extra $6K CAD I was not expecting to pay. Should I send the bill to Elon? Lol!!

HAHAHA! And I've paid $0 on PPF, have driven 27k miles, four road trips (around 14k miles) across TX, NM, CO, LA, AL, MS, FL, TN, AR, VA, MD...and I have 5 or 6 chips on my red front bumper.

Just sayin'... 😭 😭 😭

I don’t have 6K of care in me about the paint. I barely wash it let alone look at it with a magnifying glass. I’ll spend no more than few hundred prepping it for trading or sale as there’s no way I’ll get that kind of spend back even if the market for second hand stays strong.

Reactions: mangrove79
Happy with the paint quality on my MYP. Zero defects when delivered. I did a clay bar and two coats of ceramic. I use a drive though car wash weekly, it has microfiber brushes, no issues. No PPF other than the stock rear quarters. Will I get chips? He’ll yes I will, but it’s a daily driver, not a show car. I plan to enjoy the hell out of it, chips and all.

281C3C5F-96EB-4002-8941-E8635CBA12AD.jpeg

Happy with the paint quality on my MYP. Zero defects when delivered. I did a clay bar and two coats of ceramic. I use a drive though car wash weekly, it has microfiber brushes, no issues. No PPF other than the stock rear quarters. Will I get chips? He’ll yes I will, but it’s a daily driver, not a show car. I plan to enjoy the hell out of it, chips and all.

View attachment 807105
Looks amazing. Same color I have as well. That's a great attitude and I tend to be overly OCD about these kinds of things. I'm only 3 weeks into my new MY so I'm sure it will wear off. I do have to say though I have been quite amazed at how easily the paint scratches. I love the look of it so much I just want to preserve it as long as possible lol.

Not sure what you are talking about. Are you saying Tesla has learned to paint vehicles overnight?

Because every delivery I have seen this year is still pure trash when it comes to paint.

Nothing has changed in Fremont and I have not seen an example of an Austin built vehicle in the wild.
Quality coming out of Fremont is non existent. That facility should be shut down. Period.

View attachment 807105
Looks great!!! You're one of the few lucky ones. Have Xpel PPF put on it and stone chips won't happen, resale will be much better.

Looks great!!! You're one of the few lucky ones. Have Xpel PPF put on it and stone chips won't happen, resale will be much better.
Rock chips has very little affect on resale unless it we’re a collector car. I buy and sell a lot of cars and nobody cares, especially dealers. I know people try to justify thousands on ppf but it’s just not happening.

Here's my 2 cents. Seeing how an average car now costs over $35k, people are "running" to PPF shops thinking they're protecting their "investment". Finance 101 folks, cars are NOT assets unless you have a collectable that appreciates in value due its rarity. And as someone already mentioned, PPF has ZERO value at trade-in.

Here's what I told my buddy who just took delivery of his $75k MYP who wanted to throw down another $7k for PPF. We live in an imperfect world with imperfect drivers sharing the road. If/when you get into an accident, you are actually adding to your expenses as the insurance companies WILL NOT cover the cost of PPF. For every panel that needs to be repaired, you'll need to remove and reinstall PPF. Re-spraying a bumper or the hood will cost well south of $1k 5-6 years down the road. I didn't have to say much more after that.

Here's my 2 cents. Seeing how an average car now costs over $35k, people are "running" to PPF shops thinking they're protecting their "investment". Finance 101 folks, cars are NOT assets unless you have a collectable that appreciates in value due its rarity. And as someone already mentioned, PPF has ZERO value at trade-in.

Here's what I told my buddy who just took delivery of his $75k MYP who wanted to throw down another $7k for PPF. We live in an imperfect world with imperfect drivers sharing the road. If/when you get into an accident, you are actually adding to your expenses as the insurance companies WILL NOT cover the cost of PPF. For every panel that needs to be repaired, you'll need to remove and reinstall PPF. Re-spraying a bumper or the hood will cost well south of $1k 5-6 years down the road. I didn't have to say much more after that.
wrong insurance will cover ppf, have had it done multiple times and will do full ppf on my Y coming next week. When you deal with insurance and a adjuster you have to just tell them theres ppf simple as that. I know about 10 other people who have had no issues with ppf being paid for by insurance after an accident or issue. People dont realize most people dont get ppf for protection, they get it for easy of keeping it clean and maintenance. And to the right buyer people will pay more for a car with PPF, just did it with my R a few months ago. A majority of people do ppf like on the front for ease of cleaning. Doing an entire car makes it cake walk. I wash my cars every 4 days. PPF speeds that process up even more.