Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint for 20” Induction wheels repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, picked up my Model Y last Friday, with 20” black induction wheels, and just clipped a low curb that I missed. Cue scuff marks and chipped paint on my new rims.....

Given that I do a fair bit of city driving and parallel parking, I can see this happening again, so I’d like to be able to repair this myself. I haven’t been able to work out what type of paint to order for the induction wheels, and I don’t see anyone selling repair kits for MY Induction wheels yet.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this?

Thanks!

Reactions: cancoi
The touch up paint (although expensive) works great for this. My wife has scuffed and damaged the edge of the rims on our Model S (grey wheels) and the grey touch-up paint makes them invisible. I mean, they're still there, but you really have to look for them. I'd assume the black wheels will be even better at hiding this.

Sorry, should have mentioned I ordered the Tesla touch-up paint. Don't know if they're selling the black yet, since it seems to be a non-gloss on the Black 20s.

Damn ... just got squeezed into a curb making right turn coming out of store lot by incoming traffic ... shoulda backed up and waited ... knew it was going to happen sooner or later ...

So, does anyone have any bead on getting the matching paint out here? Would any flat black paint for metal work?

Next set of tires is going to have to have thicker sidewall

Sand it down with some high grit sandpaper and spray it with this: Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT4AQQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Matches really well. In the attached pic I had curb rash by the air valve. As you can see, you can't even tell it's there anymore.

Don't mind the tire dressing spots that got on the wheel. The service center did me a favor by washing my car (which I didn't ask for).

Attachments

• 555388F1-606D-4148-AE64-053BF878EE06.jpeg
    555388F1-606D-4148-AE64-053BF878EE06.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 5,159
My wife just called me. Turns out we have moving curbs here in Ottawa also since this one jumped out at her ... curb rash.jpg

I don't think a sharpie is going to cover this blemish up :(

I'm going to wait for the winter tires and rims to be installed then I'll get this one fixed over the winter.

• Funny
Reactions: 907XCP
scraped both fronts on the first week! never happened on any of my other vehicles as long as I can remember. I would say keep driving cause it will happen - and once its unbearable, fix or replace then, and not everytime it happens. These wheels protrude over the tires and that's just what it is. Both times I was trying to protect the doors from dings by parking away from others. oh well

Sand it down with some high grit sandpaper and spray it with this: Rust-Oleum 248928 Automotive High... Amazon.com

Matches really well. In the attached pic I had curb rash by the air valve. As you can see, you can't even tell it's there anymore.

Don't mind the tire dressing spots that got on the wheel. The service center did me a favor by washing my car (which I didn't ask for).
Thank you! Super helpful!

Has anyone installed the rim savers? I’m seriously considering it but not sure how effective they are.
It's the first thing I had installed on both my previous Tesla's, as the parking garage at my work had a narrow entrance and high curbs. Saved me several times over the years and I have the WheelBands ready to go for the MY that's coming.

For anyone curious I have had 2 wheels repaired now at a cost of $125 each. The second go around I have decided to have them powder coated in gloss black. It costs the same either way so I thought i would change it up. If you put 265/40-R20s on the factory wheels you will have rim protection. That is my plan for putting winter tires on the factory inductions. Only change is going speedometer will show 70 instead of 71 at speed. Not really a big deal in my opinion. Photo attached for gloss black.
73D4FE04-AC1A-4A47-95C8-731543D4AED0.jpeg

Is there a touch up paint for the 20' Induction wheels Yet?

The T Sportline touch up paint works perfectly. The matte black matches the Induction wheels perfectly, an the gunpowder (matte gray) matches the Uberturbine wheels perfectly. Great paint quality but it's pricey.

I bought the matte black paint when it was on sale awhile back and I had Induction wheels ordered with my LR, but I've used it on my friend's Induction wheels when he curbed it and it matched perfectly. I picked up the gunpowder paint for my space gray TS5 wheels, and it matches the Uberturbine wheels perfectly (I touched up the inner lip that Tesla scratched when installing the Pirelli tires, and it matched perfectly).

TSportline-Wheel-Paint.jpg

Reactions: SMC-tx and Gellie
The T Sportline touch up paint works perfectly. The matte black matches the Induction wheels perfectly, an the gunpowder (matte gray) matches the Uberturbine wheels perfectly. Great paint quality but it's pricey.

I bought the matte black paint when it was on sale awhile back and I had Induction wheels ordered with my LR, but I've used it on my friend's Induction wheels when he curbed it and it matched perfectly. I picked up the gunpowder paint for my space gray TS5 wheels, and it matches the Uberturbine wheels perfectly (I touched up the inner lip that Tesla scratched when installing the Pirelli tires, and it matched perfectly).

TSportline-Wheel-Paint.jpg
Thanks. Ordered. Any tips on applying?