TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Paint/glass armor installers?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by olanmills, Jan 2, 2013.

1. olanmills

olanmills Member

Anyone have any recommendations?

I have the Tesla-installed paint armor, but I want to get paint armor for the full hood, the front fenders, and the windshield too. I already have a rock chip on a front fender, and I haven't even had the car for a week yet. Tesla should sell touch up paint.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I've used Accutint in Bellevue (link HERE) to put tint on a couple of hybrids long ago and on my first EV, and I also had them put paint armor on my Roadster rather than use the factory option.

So I haven't used them in over 3 years, but I was happy with their work at the time. More important, from web reviews I did before using them, it sounded like they stood behind their work when there was a problem.

3. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

4. hiddengems99

hiddengems99 Member

Blurry / Chad

What did you pay for the work you had done on your Model S and how long did the process take?

I didn't get the factory armor, but want to quickly get the armor on - My 85KW, Black, Pano, 19", Tech arrives tomorrow - Issaquah, home delivery.....it's been in Portland for 4-5 days for some reason....

5. hiddengems99

hiddengems99 Member

Blurry / Chad - I'm going without the factory installed armor, but do want it installed in the first few weeks of arrival. What did you pay at Metro / Accutint for the work you've had done - and time it took?

Thanks....

6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

In 2009 I paid about $875 for custom paint armor on my Roadster. They covered more area total than the factory version, although they didn't do some of the tricky bits along the bottom of the sides. Tesla was charging $1500. I don't know what has happened to prices since then (more competition and better tech might have lowered prices; then again with time prices often go up, so who knows).

In 2008 I paid about $400 to get Llumar tint on my RAV4-EV, all windows except the front. They called it their best tint and it did seem to have a great rep. I personally liked Huper Optic, but that's more of a heat blocker for household windows - I think they quoted $500 to do that, but they really didn't want to.

For the tint, I think I just dropped the car off for an afternoon while I attended business nearby. I think the paint armor had to cure though, so I believe I dropped it off one day and picked it up the next morning.