Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint issue getting worse on 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In recent months, my car developed paint issues in two areas of the hood. When it first started, I asked Tesla Service whether this is covered by warranty, and they said it is not. However, it has gotten worse since.

What could cause the paint to develop these grooves that almost look like cracks and the bubble under the clear coat?

Should this be covered on a 3 year old car with 33,333 miles on the odometer?

E71FCD43-FE6F-45B1-BEF9-6628F185206D.jpeg

C56DCE22-8F44-4746-AF49-6F94D940A288.jpeg

Is this an indication that the hood has been repainted, or could this happen to original paint?

I bought the car pre-owned.
It is really hard to say for certain if it is clear coat failure but my guess is that it was probably poorly done in the first place. Where is your car parked and is it constantly exposed to the elements (the sun in particular)? I doubt it was repainted.

What warranty does Tesla give for paint and corrosion?

I will check but I am in Canada and to be fair, most US consumer protection laws are better than the ones in Canada, so, you'd want to check the scope of Cali's lemon law as well (I once returend a Lexus as a lemon when I lived in NJ and it was quite easy - but Canada has no such laws).

Second... I don't think clear coat failure (if that is what it is) is a result of corrosion. I think it is likely from two sources...

1. Excessive exposure to the elements (not in your case).

2. Defective paint job

In your case, it's the probably the latter, but you need someone with a lot more knowledge than I have, to give you that opinion. If someone is willing to to say that and has legitimate reasons of why the paint job was defective, maybe it will be warrantied and even if it isn't under warranty, maybe Tesla will be willing to work with you because I think we can all agree that no 2016 car should have the paint cracking or peeling. That is just preposterous (and BTW - I also drive a 2016 and I would lose my sh*t if this happened to me).

Reactions: IchDochNicht
Spoke with a guy from an authorized Tesla body shop. He is convinced the car was repainted and these spots were not prepped properly.

Strangely, I cannot see any signs of a repaint anywhere - usually you’d see at least some overspray or a paint edge from taping off. If they repainted my car, or any part of it, they did an amazing job... except for those two spots, of course!

He said I’d have to get it repainted and the fenders blended. Cost $2400-2600.

Spoke with a guy from an authorized Tesla body shop. He is convinced the car was repainted and these spots were not prepped properly.

Strangely, I cannot see any signs of a repaint anywhere - usually you’d see at least some overspray or a paint edge from taping off. If they repainted my car, or any part of it, they did an amazing job... except for those two spots, of course!

He said I’d have to get it repainted and the fenders blended. Cost $2400-2600.
I am doubtful of a repaint as well.